Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Weight trainer fatigue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Weight trainer fatigue Reply with quote

Hi,

I know many find this topic boring so I'll keep it short:

I train around 4 times a week but recently I've been finding it a bit difficult keeping up with my regular routine i.e keeping on my current weights, never mind going up. I just seem to be reaching fatigue earlier than usual.

The programme I'm working with hasn't changed recently; I'm actually doing less CV then usual due to a injured hip (flexor thing). My diet hasn't changed and is pretty balanced (apart from weekends!), and I'm still motivated i.e. not psychological, or so I think. The only supplement I'm currently taking is protein (70+ grams per day).

Does anyone have any hints and tips as to what may be going wrong, or missing from my diet?

Many thanks Thumbs Up ,
Phil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you resting enough?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:07 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
Are you resting enough?

Thumbs Up

Isn't there meant to be a 'recovery' period for your muscles to regrow (bigger) after you have exercised them...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
Are you resting enough?

My weekends have been very hectic this summer but during the week (which is when I train) my pattern hasn't changed. Although, now you mention it my girlfriend has been getting freaked out by me 'bolting upright' during the night lately. Thing is, I rarely remember it myself.

More specifically, I tend to 'block' train (mon-thur, fri if I can be botherd) and rest for the remainder of the week(end).

Good point, cheers! Thumbs Up

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Isn't there meant to be a 'recovery' period for your muscles to regrow (bigger) after you have exercised them...?

Yup: I tend to work two groups of muscle at each session (e.g. monday = chest and back) so I never work the same muscles (specifically) within 3/4 days.

Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the routine and exercises to make the gym more excitable. I'm finding it hard to motivate myself and regain the 'guns' that I used to have as my shoulder is too painful to allow any exercises that involve lifting or pushing something above shoulder high. So at the minute I'm just pottering around doing the odd set here and there and motivation is really low.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:37 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going 4 days a week and always lifting the same sort of weights, you're going to get knackered without any decent gains.

Try a properly structured HST workout - I found I was making the same gains as your type of workout in about a third of the time on it, and it has rest weeks built into the program. Its at the end of the rest week that you suddenly realise you're much bigger than you were 4 weeks ago.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work a set of muscle and dont re-do that set for 3-4 days.
if I do a lot in one go (ie a few muscle sets) I wont touch the gym for 48 or so hours.
You need 48 hours I beleive to recover or use special fuels.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, it's giving me quite a bit to think about. Much appreciated! Thumbs Up

robby wrote:
Try a properly structured HST workout

Do you know where can I find out more info on this robby? From searching the net I'm getting the gist of it but I'm not clear on what a single workout would involve/or what the programme cycle would be i.e how to get the "properly structured" bit?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:25 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

is your friend.

LewisD
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:26 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a sort of related note..

What would you recommend for 'beginner' weight trainers.

I mean, i'm a pretty big boy as it is, lifting massive pans of boiling water and 30kg sacks of flour about my kitchen.

But i want to be bigger across the shoulders and more in the biceps.
Any tips?

I've got some 5kg and 10kg dumbells which i occasionally use, but they don't tend to do much.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:05 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies for every person - work out your 10 rep maxes, thats the most weight you can 10 reps of without failing. The last 2 or 3 are normally quite a struggle.

Not a great idea to work out your 10 rep maxes on something that can hurt you (like bench press) without a friend around to catch the weights if your arms give in.

And the stock advice for anyone wanting to get bigger arms and chest is to do a full workout. You will make more gains by working everything that just a few select muscle groups, and it makes you look better and stronger overall.

LewisD
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:49 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... cheers for that Robby.Thumbs Up

Looks like i might have to do regular exercise then Very Happy

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can really notice the difference when I play squash after a few days rest.

mazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother was having a similar problem, turned out that his blood pressure was unstable (hereditory) if it is really a problem then keep things like that checked up on Wink

Also when I get tired out I quite often find that its low Iron that causes it Thumbs Up

As has already been mentioned changing your routine helps so that you don't get fed up. I find CV things easier outside than in a gym so if you are only doing a small amount try outside it really picks up mood, I bleep test between lamp posts teehee

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:28 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stick at it man it will soon get a lot easier, when starting of training it is hard to get past the first few months but once you do it becomes easier (to a certain degree anyway Twisted Evil ).

I've now been training almost 2 years, started of as a very skinny 18 year old weighing 11 1/4 stone now im 19 approaching 20 and weigh over 16 stone. A combination of a good training routine and good diet is what it takes plenty of protein/carbs and heavy lifting.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 18, weigh 10 stone 4, and eat like a horse, can run/cycle/ row for ages, but weights i'm fucked and I don't care.

I'm Dani Pedrosa in training(with a personality), just need to lose another 10 kilos Laughing

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 12:00 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont you ever feel its like masturbation without the payoff?

I lost two stone and bulked up over summer in greece, but i never tried to. I just made sure i ate healthily while i was out there doing lots of activity.

But i concede, im now doing shit loads of situps. Trying to get rid of the beer gut paunch. Anytips?
Serendipity is coming up so i'll probs join a club of some sort, im thinking canoe club possibly.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1