Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dear John....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Dear John.... Reply with quote

....the 'sorry but we wont be inviting you for interview'....is starting to get on my nerves a bit now...aarrgh!

Gimme a bloody interview, and then decide - you buggers!

Anyone else going through the same thing at the moment? If yes come and cry on my shoulder and I'll cry on yours.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to be, but I am not very good at writing a CV to get rejected for interviews, Need to get this sorted out before monday.

Crying or Very sad <---------- there you go crying.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your male?? I always thought you were a woman Shocked sorry Laughing

Good luck with the job hunt!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
Your male?? I always thought you were a woman Shocked sorry Laughing

Good luck with the job hunt!


LOL cheers Sparks, glad to hear I wasn't alone Embarassed Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a girl, you plonkers.

She was just referring in the "Dear John" title, as the sort of "badnews letter" scenario.

Rolling Eyes

God, got the "economy" low wattage brain power crowd in today.

hellkat
grouchy Mr. Green
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:03 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I've had one girl go awol (she was a troublemaker anyway), one gone off on a personal-life hissy fit, one got the sack last week, and two have recently booked holidays at the same time, so I've errrr, got a vacancy or two for a Nice Girl Mr. Green

hellkat
rewriter of rotas
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there will be only one of two reasons. Either you don't have the skills/qualifications they want or your CV didn't stand out enough. You can only deal with one of these in the short term.

Dunno what your CV is like. I always just did them like a list of qualifications, previous employment etc.

They have changed markedly in the last few years as I found when writing one for a friend, people expect something lot more like a piece of prose these days. Gotta sell yourself.

I have a rough draught of the one I did for my mate which I've attached. You really have to target them at who you are applying to though. This one for example is heavier on the 'work experience' side because we were a bit short on actual qualifications. You can also make a fairly technical one fo the situation demands it. Have a trawl of the interweb, there are quite a few 'careers' sites out there if you can filter out the people trying to do your CV for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:33 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate reading those sort of CVs with all that "My objectives are ... " - what a load of waffle.

Its tedious to have to plough through people's wordy aspirations for their future with your company - and how they think their presence will improve it.

Just give me the facts, and I'll decide.

When I was working as a PA to a professor of vascular surgery, I had cause to recruit for a medical secretary, and had to plough through around 250 CVs which were torrid in their impossibly unrelevant qualifications.

Employers these days just don't have TIME to wade through all that irrelevant shit. They usually have to actually do their own job and probably a lot of that which they are recruiting for, as well as recruit new staff.

You have to catch their eye and point out any experience you have related to the field they are in.

When reading CVs, I prefer to see
(a) any relevant qualifications;
(b) a SHORT explanation of previous experience of each job the applicant has done ...

... which might draw my eye and cause me to consider giving them an interview.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:11 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I always thought too hellkat.

A CV was a brief list of your relevant qualifications and previous work history that they could use as a ready reference to decide if you have the appropriate skills. Save all the other crap for the letter which they will read if the CV is of the appropriate standard. They sort them into two piles on the basis of the CV (one pile to look at more closely, one to 'Dear John' because they've applied for a professorship of thermodynamics with three o-levels). I always tried to keep mine down to a single page.

In these days of 'human resource' departments and 'personel managers' (candidates for the Golgofrachian Ark-C if ever I heard them). It would appear that they are looking for something rather more verbose. Big companies have a whole tier of administrators with nothing better to do than scruitinise CVs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:07 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers HK, if I lived closer I would take you up on that offer. For sure.

The problem with me applying for these jobs is that I am trying to head into a new career. Catch 22: the qualification I need to get to make me fully qualified is an NVQ which means I need a job to do it.

Not having much success in getting said position because Im only part qualified. I didnt realise that I'd be competing with so many people to work with teenagers. I thought we were a rare breed - obviously not. Connexions have advised me that I need this NVQ and with all my experience, counselling, TESOL etc. I could work for them.

So, what Ive decided to do is, go back to my former work (Graphic design, artwork, print production) then work for CAB (as they do training) or the Samaritans (inhouse training) and see if I can do the NVQ that way.

My CV is fine. Its just that I have worked within print production, photography, graphics environment most of my working life...everything I have done with teens is all part time, community work!

Disclaimer: sorry to all you who have read my other post, with similar points written - dont mean to bore you with my problems!
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaben
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what career exactly are you trying to get into?
Im sure you can write your CV with a focus on said career path, and if that cant be done without lying, then a covering letter explaining where your "extra curicular" experience ties in will help.

If you like, i can reformat your CV so it reads well and looks better and also ask my coleagues if there are better things for you to put in/highlight.

Send me a pm.
____________________
Its Not a Melon, Its Clearly a Lime!!
Yamaha Fazer 600Now dead, MZ 125 SM
My Deviant Art homepage https://robabloke.deviantart.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

When reading CVs, I prefer to see
(a) any relevant qualifications;

Does that apply to your current postion as well? Shocked
Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The format I prefer as an employer is a short inital statement that says " this is who I am, this is what I'm good at". They're easy to sort through and if the first statement is a good one, you are then encouraged to read on. This might be a good way to highlight your youth work before they have to wade through the print stuff Smile.
____________________
"Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
hellkat wrote:

When reading CVs, I prefer to see
(a) any relevant qualifications;

Does that apply to your current postion as well? Shocked
Razz


LOL ... well yes, its a bit more hit and miss in this industry.

I don't get them to flash their bits ... an interview asking about cup size, hair colour and "range of services on offer" tends to be somewhat briefer than your average employment interrogation

Mr. Green

... although its more difficult to weed out quality candidates as well, which means we get some interesting colleagues at times Rolling Eyes

I had to show one how to put on a condom a few weeks ago Rolling Eyes she was putting them on inside out, and nobody knew until she did a two-girl and the other girl mentioned it to me.

Now I know FUCK all about putting on condoms, but even I know which way round you should roll them down.

I felt like bloody Claire Rayner Shocked Shocked
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an interesting job hellkat Cool
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has its moments Mr. Green
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Cheers HK, if I lived closer I would take you up on that offer. For sure!

Laughing
____________________
Hard livin', hard luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang one of the places to find out what I'd done wrong in said interview for them to reject me. They told me that there was nothing at all wrong with my interview, that I came across intelligent, and creative and interested and right for the job, its just they had lost some funding for a project - and this left only two positions open, and the other candidates they chose pipped me to the post because they a) knew the area b) could work late on Fridays (every week) and had worked for them before.

They would however, hope to be getting more funding in the new year and would be in touch then, if I was available.

So at least I now know it wasnt me, or my cv - it was just funding in their case.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
it was just funding in their case.



Booo, every public sector service seems to be struggling with recruitment. It sounds like you were very unlucky. It's good news to have had such positive feedback Very Happy
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R1stu
Shrek!



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been offered 3 jobs now! Shocked

had interviews comming out my ears!
____________________
Carbon closet tart! https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/02r6/
Stolen bike. 2000 R1: https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/00r1/
Current bike 1991 Honda ST1100 Pan European, 1986 Honda cb350sg (Finished)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you get letters telling you you were unsuccessfull. Most employers dont bother to write unless they are going to offer you a job.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple.
Law of Averages.
Write to all of them/Loads of them.
If you don't get an interview from that approach then your not in/applying for the correct business.

Getting the job you want may need some insider trading type stuff.
It's about getting your foot on the 1st rung of the ladder.

Good Luck.
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.84 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 118.76 Kb