Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Children in Need

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Children in Need Reply with quote

Just seen the advert on TV for Children In Need.

Is it me or is this just an excuse for people to relieve their guilt or make themselves feel a bit better by "donating to charity". What annoys me is that the people who want to "help" don't actually give a flying toss about the cause they are donating to.

It's just an easy way of making themselves feel better about themselves by helping the child they have just been guilt-tripped by on the TV.

While it is a noble cause and does raise money for charities if people really did care they would get off their arses and down to the local children's centre or whatnot and give some time which is far more worthy than an empty donation from their sofa.

That what annoys me - the people who donate really don't care - otherwise they would already be involved in doing something.

I haven't donated in the past probably, if I'm honest, I don't really care. But, hey, at least I'm honest and not a hypocrite.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate charities that ask for money. Especially ones like this which push it into your face all the time.
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bin
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be so bad if you knew the charities you where giving money to actually got it.
____________________
...its what you make of it...
...Silver Suzuki gsx1400...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxx

Last edited by Paddy Blake on 19:19 - 29 Oct 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand Children in Need. I think this year I'm going to torch every 'Pudsy' I see.

No doubt some bint in the office will be doing something 'wacky'.

The usual culprits:

Arrow Shaving all your hair off - if you have long hair.
Arrow Men getting their legs waxed.
Arrow Sitting in a bath of custard/cold baked beans.
Arrow Sponsored 'run'.

All used to pressurise your fellow employee's out of their hard earned, along with donations to leaving collections, birthday collections. W@nkers!

If people did something more original, something they have to work hard at and make an effort. People do such lame shit to get on TV.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only method I use for donating to charity is a Give As You Earn scheme which transfers a small donation out of my pay packet every month, direct to my chosen charity.


I realise that with all the publicity that it generates, Children In Need generates a LOT of donations for genuine causes, but it's exactly that publicity that is a serious P.I.T.A. !!
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only charity I donate to every now and then is the NSPCC.
But I hate the people who come up to you in the street with those clip boards!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only donate to charities that deal with problems in the UK.

Hating all the charities for Africa, you know or believe absolutely nothing good is gonna come out of giving money to the African Nations, because while they are under the control of mad leaders, nothing is ever going to be sorted. No amount of cash will ever relieve the problems of Africa.

Besides, how is a sorted Africa ever going to affect me? Yes I'm a selfish British Citizen who only cares about his own.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My £10 a month goes to 'Mind' a mental illness organisation.
It's a n investment in a way, some day they'll realise i'm a danger to the public and take me away.
My money's going to my future home! Razz Thumbs Up Laughing Sad Very Happy

Shocked

Twisted Evil

Dance!
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont all these filthy rich bastards pay up to charitys instead of asking people like me who havnt got a pot to piss in half the time. I cant afford to donate to charity and i have been given the guit trip over it many of times, and how there much more worse off than me! what about Mr Massive bank account why isnt he giving some of his millions to them! The rest is just a publicity stunt for celebraties to me more loved by appearing on children in need and pressing buttons and making a speach full of lies about how much they care, well if yu care donate a few grande then, that should help.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My charitable donations already go to several million dole-sucking scum, corrupt politicians, greedy corporations and fatcat bank shareholders.

Excuse the hell out of me if I keep something back for my own family. Evil or Very Mad
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
I only donate to charities that deal with problems in the UK.

Hating all the charities for Africa, you know or believe absolutely nothing good is gonna come out of giving money to the African Nations, because while they are under the control of mad leaders, nothing is ever going to be sorted. No amount of cash will ever relieve the problems of Africa.

Besides, how is a sorted Africa ever going to affect me? Yes I'm a selfish British Citizen who only cares about his own.


it does , good stuff does come from donations to Africa , the government loans / aid given to Africa too.

why? , because there is nothing called a free lunch , and we attach awful strings to this aid.

say 100000% interest rate

or that they have to buy £10,000,000 worth of military hardware from us, like that piss poor african nation which had zero aircraft which bound by the T&C of our aid had to buy a state of the art (read Junk) air traffic control system off a UK company.

Or like China in the 1960-80s the loaned money to buy UN votes.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I'd probably donate something, if I got to watch some extra good telly, without being constantly interupted to remind me of what they are raising money for. Comic Relief is even worse.

Yes, I get the message, now put the good telly on, i've given you a couple of quid already.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:59 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

I've wondered about this, I suspect that often your average person wanting to help may well be better off working some extra hours at their work and giving the money to charity than directly helping out.

Much less so for local charities, but incases where people are going abroad to contribute to a charitable effort, I suspect their money spent could often be better used with a straight donation, but wouldn't make them feel nearly as good about what they've done.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

G wrote:
I've wondered about this, I suspect that often your average person wanting to help may well be better off working some extra hours at their work and giving the money to charity than directly helping out.


There's a very good system currently in place with a lot of employers for people who volunteer.

For every hour that an employee 'works' as a volunteer for a voluntary organisation - in my case Girl Guides - your employer pays the organisation to the value of your time. Eg. I volunteer three hours a week, my employer contributes what they would pay me for that time to my Guide unit.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that pisses me off is the call charge. Say if the call costs 50p, it always says "at least 17p will go to xxx charity".

Where the fuck does the rest of it go?? Lining someones pockets i presume.
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOM M wrote:
Say if the call costs 50p, it always says "at least 17p will go to xxx charity".


What kind of charities eh Tom? Wink
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
TOM M wrote:
Say if the call costs 50p, it always says "at least 17p will go to xxx charity".


What kind of charities eh Tom? Wink




lmao Laughing
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children in Need has been running for 20 odd years now.

Haven't the little brats grown up yet?

Cheers,

Byrnie.
____________________
NABD Treasurer
National Association for Bikers with a Disability
Reg Charity No. 1040907
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give old clothes, unwanted gifts, and things. I have given my time too. I prefer to give in these ways than in money. Though when I could afford it, I did give monthly to the NSPCC.

I collect milk bottle tops for the Naomi house charity, Winchester, because the money they get in return for the plastic recycled pays for their electricity.

It takes no more energy in me popping these tops into a plastic bag in the kitchen than it does throwing them in the bin.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I only donate to charities that deal with problems in the UK

Im a firm beleiver to help your own before you help other countrys.
Ship a load of rubber to stop the others from breeding all the dam time
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Quote:
I only donate to charities that deal with problems in the UK

Im a firm beleiver to help your own before you help other countrys.
Ship a load of rubber to stop the others from breeding all the dam time


I'm with both of you on this which is why I don't mind children in need as much as comic relief.

If I give to a charity I prefer close to home stuff. I'll always give to the local lifeboat and air sea rescue guys, I've seen what they do and have nothing but admiration for them. This is where the lottery money should go, not to stupid arse art projects and ethnic minorities.

Bollocks to all of em.
____________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?

All of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the Lottery is to soon have boxes underneath for you to tick where the money shall go. Local stuff ect.
I hope so, millions go to un-needed crap. Art my arse Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Art my arse


You mean like body paint?

OK lads, who's game???
____________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?

All of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.23 Kb