Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dirty word....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Dirty word.... Reply with quote

I know I know....dirty words to use on a biker forum, but I just want to know... if anyone knows....
IF you use cheap oil in your car, does it make a difference to the fuel consumption??

I recently bought Tesco whoopee doozee cheap oil, and now I swear I can see my petrol guage moving down each time I drive...(and I dont go fast, I leave speed to the bike)

Is this just my imagination? Or should I go out and buy some better oil?
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the right grade, or close enough to (10W40, 15W40 or 20W50 are all pretty general grades that could be put in just about anything) and its going into a fairly conventional car, it shouldn't make a significant difference to fuel economy. I think some of the expensive synthetics claim around a 5% difference to fuel economy, tops, so by that reckoning a cheap oil would give you a smaller than 5% loss in fuel economy.

Of course, there are always other factors. If you topped up the oil with cheap oil, instead of doing an oil change, then it probably needs a service anyway. If its a very modern diesel it may want a special oil from the manufacturers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 31.63 Kb