Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bloomin? Cheek

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Bloomin’ Cheek Reply with quote

I started a new job about a month ago and I made it perfectly clear at the interviews that I ride a bike and would be using said bike to travel to and from work. At the time there was no problem. I turn up every day, suited and booted and I don't even take up a space in the staff car park.

Then, on Friday I was presented with a letter that basically says (and here I will summarise because it’s a bit wordy):

The Company (heavily paraphrased) wrote:
In 2001 a member of staff was given permission to use a motorbike instead of a company car. He subsequently had a road accident and suffered serious injury resulting in a lengthy sick leave. It cost the company a lot of money and that made us very sad!!!

We are happy for you to continue to use your bike, because we understand that, from your view point, it’s more convenient. However you might get squashed and cost us a lot of money again.

In view of this, and as a generous compromise, you can use the bike, but if you get squashed and require a lengthy sick leave you will only get full pay for the first five days and from then on SSP (Statutory Sick Pay) until you resume normal duties.

This modifies your terms and conditions of employment so please sign this letter and return it to us. If you do not sign it or reply to it we will assume that you agree. So there!



I have already drafted a formal letter that briefly and politely says “First I’ve heard of it! So no, I do not accept this.” I don’t see that there’s anything they can do to enforce this other than deny me the right to park in the company car park.

As a further issue I have also used the bike to go out on a couple of emergency call outs to visit client sites and I know this is a bit naughty because my insurance only covers me for my commute, not travel on work time. My reply also mentions that I would be happy to discuss the provision of a company car if that would make them happy.

I already have one car and the missus needs that during the day for kids and shopping etc. I’m not going to buy another car just for work when I have a couple of perfectly good motorbikes.

I’m very interested to hear the opinions of others on this. I've ridden to work by bike for the last thirteen years and no one has ever sprung this one on me.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cannon
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crock. You could easilly get hurt coming in by car as well.
What happens if you were hurt on the weekends in your own time ?
Do they ban people from extreme sports or skiing , I doubt it.
Can you imagine the boss going on a skiing trip and getting paid SSSp after breaking his leg Smile

Don't sign the letter. Its your choice how to commute to work, as you do it in your time not theirs.
____________________
Staffs Riders Forum
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wilbur
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I renewed with ebike this year I ticked the for business box just to see how ridiculously high it came in at and it came back at exactly the same price. So I am now insured for business use as well.

Just a thought.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Bloomin’ Cheek Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
I started a new job about a month ago and I made it perfectly clear at the interviews that I ride a bike and would be using said bike to travel to and from work. At the time there was no problem. I turn up every day, suited and booted and I don't even take up a space in the staff car park.

Then, on Friday I was presented with a letter that basically says (and here I will summarise because it’s a bit wordy):

The Company (heavily paraphrased) wrote:
In 2001 a member of staff was given permission to use a motorbike instead of a company car. He subsequently had a road accident

<snip>

In view of this, and as a generous compromise, you can use the bike


As a further issue I have also used the bike to go out on a couple of emergency call outs to visit client sites and I know this is a bit naughty because my insurance only covers me for my commute, not travel on work time. My reply also mentions that I would be happy to discuss the provision of a company car if that would make them happy.



They can change your conditions with (IIRC) 3 months notice.

However - make sure that the conditions are changed so that you will only receive the lower amount of sick pay if you are involved in an accident on your bike whilst at work (which does not include travelling to and from work - that has nothing to do with them).

You must get insurance for business use (and charge it to the company) and also consider getting private insurance to cover your wages if off sick (permanent health insurance). This is not that expensive and would be incredibly cheap if it were limited solely to injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident.

Or get them to provide transport at work (taxi, pool car, company car).
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tell them to stick it up their arse. I would find it quite offensive to be honest.

Have they never experienced any car crashes then?

Reading this has ruined a perfectly good sunday morning. What the hell is going on to people in Britain.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say show that to a union rep(if you have any) or a lawyer and get them to send a letter and scare the be jesus out of them, that is clearly out of order, don't sign,
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

markandmindy
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang out of order. There are clear guidelines as to what an employer can and can not ask of an employee. what if you got injured doing a 'dangerous sports' activity or at one of these team-building bullshit days?? tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine ( politeily, of course!!!) and see an employment law specialist if you are not a member of a Trade Union. You've got a clear case here of discrimination and harassment.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn’t intend to put a damper on anyone’s morning. Please bear in mind that I re-phrased the letter for comedy value and the original was written in much more reasonable terms. However the meaning is the same and I’m sure you can empathise with the righteous anger that I felt on Friday when they gave me the letter.

My initial drafts of reply letters were somewhat venomous and although I had no intention of delivering those particular copies I found the process of writing them very cathartic and enabled me to step back and consider my options with a clear head.

I am now re-drafting my reply based on some of the suggestions above, particularly from dmahon, but all your comments are welcome, thank you.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markandmindy wrote:
team-building bullshit days??


Glad I'm not the only one! Laughing
____________________
aKa: Ducky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell they have no legal right to stop SSP.

Details are here and there isn't an opt out scheme for them. It would appear they are breaking the law and have been stupid enough to put it in writing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Details are here and there isn't an opt out scheme for them. It would appear they are breaking the law and have been stupid enough to put it in writing.


They are just saying that they will only give him SSP rather than the rather better terms they normally would.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. See what you mean.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I read it, they are supplying a company car but Serendipity chooses to use a bike for work. This is exactly what I do.

Whilst on the one hand it looks very discriminatory to tell an employee that they would get lower sick pay benefits because they use their bike for travel to and from work, on the other hand they have provided a much safer method of transport for the employee yet he chooses not to use it. You can understand their point of view, the employee has chosen to make their journey to work more perilous despite being provided with a safer mode of transport. The company doesn't want to suffer financially because of that.

If they don't supply a company car, I would say that what they are doing is wrong.

BTW you only have to have "business use 1" insurance if you DON'T travel to and from the same work address every single day. If your place of work is the same location every day for the whole year, you only need social, domestic & pleasure (and commuting to& from permanent place of work).

Best to check the small print on the last one because I used my bike for a whole year without realising I should be business use 1, and only found out once I came to renew.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them to give you give you a company car...

Get involved in some accident that involves you having 3-4 months off (bad back)


and get full sick pay Thumbs Up
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're complaining that being involved in a serious road traffic accident would cost the company a lot of money and so are saying that should you be involved in a RTA on your bike which resulted in a lengthy sick leave then you'd only get full sick pay for the first 5 days and then you'd be onto SSP?

I'd be writing back asking are the same sick pay limits being applied to car drivers involved in a RTA. Would also ask them to confirm that the 5 days of full sick pay then onto SSP would only apply if it was a RTA when travelling directly to or from work, in other words should you crash your bike at the weekend and be laid up in hospital for 6 months would you receive full sick pay for that time. Are there similar restrictions on people who require lengthly (more than 5 day) sick leave for other reasons?

Sick pay is useful, I got a couple of months of it after being in a RTA and didn't return to my job. RTA was in a car, not on a bike. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would he want a company car? You get taxed pretty heavily on a company car.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a company bike! Thumbs Up

Umm, can't really see how they can argue that, what you do in your time is up to you. What happens if you're out for a blat on sunday and get injured? Do you get full pay then because you weren't using the bike for work??

Classic example of picking on the lil guy.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out an insurance thing at work that costs all of something like 50p a month and pays out in the event of an accident, i took it specially for the bike, it gives me more money than i earn(only work 1 day a week) if i end up in l'hopital due to anything.
Even large sums of money for losing things, eyes, limbs/movement/brain damage/death, its £5000 per finger Thinking ....which one can i live without Laughing
Glad my company does this as it covers me, handy as im a biker, what your work has done is just discriminatory in my eyes, the feckers.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last sentence breaks company law big time , silence can NEVER EVER EVER be used as acceptance into a contract and this has been tested 1000s of times in court and has set precedents over the last 100 years.


Me thinks you'll be seeing Mr P45 sometime soon,

as you said you started one month ago employees in the UK have virtually no rights until they work there for at least 3 months , then you get a sort of implied contract,

Ask the question Ste said earlier , otherwise commute in on bike park somewhere else they've no control over how you travel privately its why travel from home to work in tax law is considered private usage even in a company car., and use a company pool car = no BIK = no tax liabilities because of this if used soley for work.

You may well be discriminated against but the system is weighted in favour of employers such is capitalism , sure you can sue , sure you can get some compo say £5-10K , but you'll never work in that industry again since your name will be tarred black forever.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

vee wrote:
I took out an insurance thing at work that costs all of something like 50p a month and pays out in the event of an accident, i took it specially for the bike, it gives me more money than i earn(only work 1 day a week) if i end up in l'hopital due to anything.
Even large sums of money for losing things, eyes, limbs/movement/brain damage/death, its £5000 per finger Thinking ....which one can i live without Laughing
Glad my company does this as it covers me, handy as im a biker, what your work has done is just discriminatory in my eyes, the feckers.



would you care to share the name of the company? , I've had a few too many close calls , even thoouggh I'm not risk adverse ie I'm not insured for everything under the sun , I think this might be worthy.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for Dhl/exel and they go thru IAG as far as im aware Thumbs Up
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some guy approach me at work offering that sort of insurance and he stood there reeling off lists of stuff I would be able to claim for and how much. I stopped him after a short while.

"Will it cover me if I have an accident on my bike?" I asked.

"Well no sir, that is one of the things it would not cover you for unfortunately".

"Well you can fuck off then" I said and walked off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloke who talked to us said it before i had a chance to ask, biking/extreme sports/car accident/at home/at work, i think its just rediculous stuff like death defying stuntman that they dont bother with or if done bungeejumping Laughing
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm wonder if it covers landspeed racing Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.85 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 146.54 Kb