Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How does Holiday pay work? ,

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: How does Holiday pay work? , Reply with quote

I know that when you quit your job/sacked the company must pay you 1.5 days holiday pay per month
that you have worked there and I've always gotten it this way.

Thing is that is ALL I know about holiday pay, so what happens if you work and never take any holidays?
it is a case of use it or lose it? , I've never stuck around long enough to have accumilated holidays
Itchy by name and itchy feet by nature. The company is 2 months away from its year end and I'll have
8 days holiday as by then I'll have worked 8 months, do I get any compensation for never taking holidays? ,
or should I book in 8 days at the year end and just sit around at home doing nothing since I'll not be compensated
for it?.

I don't really want to go anywhere the pissy poor wages mean I can't exactly afford to go anywhere either
and its the wrong season for European touring. (a cheap option petrol + tyres + £40/night formulae 1 hotels)

Also it is company policy that Holidays cannot be carried over to the next period,


Before anybody says it,

My company deserves utterly zero loyalty and I won't put in more than the absolute minimum required effort
as the company has really cut back in the 6 months I've been here , they reneged on the bonus scheme
which we earned ,which was a trick to see how hard we could work , so they could load us with more work
without paying us more they stopped paying for ALL staff training , they do not replace those who leave shifting
the work onto those who stay.Everybody is demoralised and wanting to leave.It'd be understandable if they
company was in shit but it isn't the company is doing v well

Though I do realise that this is an increasing UK trend.

Any suggestions? (other than leaving which I will in April next year)

Thanks
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some firms let you carry holidays over to the next holiday year, some pay up for unused holidays but thats quite rare.
My firm let me carry 5 days over, but I have to use them within 3 months of the start of the new holiday year or I lose them.
There is no legal requirement for an employer to let you carry them over though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statutory allowances are 20 days pro-rata per year, which are usually accrued according to length of service. This means you are "collecting" 1.666 days per month actually so at the moment if you've been there 8 months you have 13 days.

There is no statutory requirement for an employer to pay Bank Holidays (yet) so check your contract. If the business is closed on bank hols and you have still been paid a full week's salary you may need to deduct them from the amount you have "earned".

An employer does not have to carry over any unused holidays at the end of the holiday year although some do. They are actually prohibited from making a payment in lieu of unused hols (although some still do) as the legislation was brought in to ensure that employees take time off as well as to make sure they got paid. Check your contract again as it should specify any particular terms relating to this. He does have to pay them if you leave before the end of the holiday year though.

Incidentally check when your company's holiday year is, it's not necessarily the calendar year! It may be April-March (the tax year) or any random date really - we use October-Sept as the Working Time Regulations were first introduced in October.

In your particular case if you really don't want to take any time off I would book your 2 weeks and sign up for a bit of agency work or casual work whilst you're away from your main job.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I dont use all my holidays up by the end of the year, I loose them alltoghter. Which is a bitch
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can't understand is why you wouldn't take your holidays??
Theres people where I work who end up taking all their holidays in march as thats the last month of our holiday year. How the hell can anyone work right through summer bustin their ass to make someone else rich? crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place I work is only allowed one member of staff from the Kitchen or Bar to go at a time.
Summer months, anyone is lucky to have time off. Xmas time, again you will be lucky to get time off.
So last year, to piss them ALL off I booke 2 weeks off for America, come back work 4 days then piss off to Greece for 3 weeks.
Oooooo the remarks I got Thumbs Up Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
TThey are actually prohibited from making a payment in lieu of unused hols (although some still do) as the legislation was brought in to ensure that employees take time off as well as to make sure they got paid.


Bugger. Mad

Was going to sell work a weeks holiday before the year is out. For some people holiday time is ever so boring. Being young and single without any kids i'm discouraged from taking time off in scholl holidays, so i've ended up with three months to go and 15 days still to take and everyone else all out of holidays and cash.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
What I can't understand is why you wouldn't take your holidays??
Theres people where I work who end up taking all their holidays in march as thats the last month of our holiday year. How the hell can anyone work right through summer bustin their ass to make someone else rich? crazy.


read post as above can't afford it , due to crap pay currently , hence my solution is to sit at home and do nothing. it is also impossible for me to take time off , everybody has booked their own holidays in such a way that there always has to be 2 people in the office such that I can get away for 1-2 days between their holidays but thats hardly worth the effort
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:


An employer does not have to carry over any unused holidays at the end of the holiday year although some do. They are actually prohibited from making a payment in lieu of unused hols (although some still do) as the legislation was brought in to ensure that employees take time off as well as to make sure they got paid. Check your contract again as it should specify any particular terms relating to this.


Doesn't say anything in my contract about it I

babyyam wrote:


Incidentally check when your company's holiday year is, it's not necessarily the calendar year! It may be April-March (the tax year) or any random date really - we use October-Sept as the Working Time Regulations were first introduced in October.



Yeah the company holiday year is inline with the company year end ie in 1.8 months time , thats why I wanted to know.

babyyam wrote:


In your particular case if you really don't want to take any time off I would book your 2 weeks and sign up for a bit of agency work or casual work whilst you're away from your main job.


its not a case of not want , its a case of can't afford , I promised myself 2 bikes for new years , and as said its the wrong season to go do bikey stuff.

thanks anyhow
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

its not a case of not want , its a case of can't afford , I promised myself 2 bikes for new years , and as said its the wrong season to go do bikey stuff.

thanks anyhow


Erm, think about it........ you have 2 weeks off from your regular job ON FULL PAY and use the time to work for someone else EARNING MORE MONEY so if your problem is lack of cash surely that will help?!!

If your contract doesn't say you can carry holidays over then you are bound by the statutory regulations which means you can't.

Incidentally the WTR also mean that your employer can't turn down a reasonable request for leave provided you give them the required amount of notice (double the time off you want so 1 week leave = 2 weeks notice of it, etc). You don't have to take odd days here and there just cos others already have leave booked, your bosses cannot deny you your statutory rights just cos it would be more convenient for them.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaben
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work as a Temp, then you accrued holiday will be payed to you when you get your P45. The accrued holiday pay is part of your hourly salary (8.33%) and is something that is already yours.

If you a permanent member of staff then you must use your holiday with the holiday else lose it. You will not be paid for any holiday you do not take.

Hope this help mate Thumbs Up
____________________
Its Not a Melon, Its Clearly a Lime!!
Yamaha Fazer 600Now dead, MZ 125 SM
My Deviant Art homepage https://robabloke.deviantart.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Erm, think about it........ you have 2 weeks off from your regular job ON FULL PAY and use the time to work for someone else EARNING MORE MONEY so if your problem is lack of cash surely that will help?!!


I already work outside for other companies I meant lack of ££££ in terms of being able to go anywhere decent

babyyam wrote:

Incidentally the WTR also mean that your employer can't turn down a reasonable request for leave provided you give them the required amount of notice (double the time off you want so 1 week leave = 2 weeks notice of it, etc). You don't have to take odd days here and there just cos others already have leave booked, your bosses cannot deny you your statutory rights just cos it would be more convenient for them.


Oh I know this but they know I've not worked here for more than 1 yr and therefore they know and I know I have virtually zero rights = kick up a fuss = sack.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 84.08 Kb