Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MP proposes slashing speed limits

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:07 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: MP proposes slashing speed limits Reply with quote

Hi

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203270/speed_limit_cuts.html

Some MP wants to slash speed limits by changing them from mph to kmh (same numbers on the signs). So a 43mph motorway limit!

All the best

Keith

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF?

if they reduced speed limits like that, firstly it would increase accidents, due to people overtaking 'sunday drivers'(in the middle of the week) secondly it would clog roads all over the uk and thirdly, there would not be half as much fun flying about, PLUS a lot of motorist's don't realise they are speeding, until they find all sorts of summons' on the doormat then have triple insurance premiums..

nautilus
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:32 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also read & article in the paper today suggesting extensive motorway speed cameras to keep vehicles within the limit to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. If they follow that line safety issues are irrelevant & cameras could spring up ecerywhere

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Like that will ever happen. Notice they don't even name any MPs. Some want to raise it to 80mph, others want to lower it to 43mph? Way to get things done, politicians! Ever think something might be alright like it is?

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:17 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this the piece where they said the 70mph limit should be changed to 70km/h so they don't have to change the signs?

If said politicians actually drove and knew the highway code they would know there are no signs saying 70 anywhere, only national speed limit signs on dual carrageways (for street lit sections) or no signs for motorways.

Fuckwits !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
Was this the piece where they said the 70mph limit should be changed to 70km/h so they don't have to change the signs?

If said politicians actually drove and knew the highway code they would know there are no signs saying 70 anywhere, only national speed limit signs on dual carrageways (for street lit sections) or no signs for motorways.

Fuckwits !

True, but it would still affect 20mph, 30mph, 40mph 50mph and NSL zones.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:52 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
they would know there are no signs saying 70 anywhere, only national speed limit signs on dual carrageways (for street lit sections) or no signs for motorways.

Yes there are. Motorway up to Glasgow has 70 limit signs on the slip roads.

All the best

Keith

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:

If said politicians actually drove and knew the highway code they would know there are no signs saying 70 anywhere,

Erm, are you sure about that? Confused Cos I know where there's at least one, on the A55 just past Conwy where it's motorway regs & restrictions without actually being a designated motorway as far as i know (no "M" tacked onto it, no blue signs still green ones)........ pretty sure I've seen others whilst I've been out and about too....... Question

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:10 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
spitfire wrote:
they would know there are no signs saying 70 anywhere, only national speed limit signs on dual carrageways (for street lit sections) or no signs for motorways.

Yes there are. Motorway up to Glasgow has 70 limit signs on the slip roads.

All the best

Keith

Hum thats strange, normally a start of a motorway just has a sign showing that Motorway rules apply, don't take my word for it see the highway code

https://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign161.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:28 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: MP proposes slashing speed limits Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
...Some MP wants to slash speed limits...So a 43mph motorway limit!

Can't see that getting anywhere due to the trucking/haulage problems. People were complaining about deliveries and such when the petrol crisis was on and they had go slow protests.

I find this text more worrying...
Vaughan Freeman wrote:
...MPs have been asked to vote on graduated speeding penalties without knowing what the final upper thresholds would be. The new measures in the Road Safety Bill have been debated in Parliament.

The idea would bring in fixed fines and points for different speeds. It's thought that doing up to 39mph in a 30mph zone would bring two points with up to 45mph attract­ing three. Drivers travelling at more than 46mph would get six points. But MPs don't know the upper limit over 46mph. ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, will the government also pay for every single UK car and motorcycle to have its speedo recalibrated or replaced for a KMH one?

I think not.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:10 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
....every single UK car and motorcycle to have its speedo recalibrated or replaced for a KMH one?...

FYI current UK requirement for vehicles to be fitted with dual display speedo. So not really an issue.

For bikes...
Regulations wrote:
3.6. Speedometers

Every motorcycle first used on or after 1 April 1984 and capable of more than 25 mph must have a speedometer which reads in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour either simultaneously or separately by the use of a switch. A speedometer which is approved to Community Directives 75/443/EEC as amended by 97/39/EC, 2000/7/EC or to UNECE Regulation No.39 is acceptable.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know that Rolling Eyes . Go and sit on your bike and tell me if you can see the kmh reading 'clearly' on your speedo then.

The domanent one is in MPH, the KMH is very difficult to see, even more so when your sitting at 40, 50 60+ mph.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
...the KMH is very difficult to see, even more so when your sitting at 40, 50 60+ mph.

So that'd be 60, 80 and 100kph*

...but I agree that it would be difficult with the stupid (slow) use of mph signs for kph speeds for a needle type speedo. Generate a market for overlays though (hmmm, wonder if MPs concerned have interests in any firms that would make these Wink)

30kph = 19mph
40kph = 25mph
50kph = 31mph
60kph = 37mph
70kph = 43mph

*approx. = 64, 80 and 97 (all rounded up/down, no decimal places).

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see the politicians once again underestimating the motoring public's threshhold for tolerance.

As mentioned before regarding the fuel crisis, it only takes a few people - with the right media exposure - to start a movement capable of bringing the country to its knees in a matter of days.

A week of 25 mph on every road above a 30 limit and 10 mph on the rest will have the government on its knees. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:15 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
Hum thats strange, normally a start of a motorway just has a sign showing that Motorway rules apply, don't take my word for it see the highway code

https://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign161.htm

Cannot remember for certain if they had those signs, but the 70 limit signs were definatly there. Noticed them because they are unusual.

All the best

Keith

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never seen a 70 limit sign until I started riding up here, but they're not uncommon here. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few between Dundee and Glasgow, and one or two around Aberdeen.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are definately on the M8. The speed limit out of glasgow does change regularly though so probably there to keep new traffic informed.

Don't think reducing the speeds on the motorway would do the economy any good. Just think of the implications with regards to specific things like road haulage or non rail based public transport - or indirect things like decreasing the incentive to work for many.

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:05 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the speed limits does not really make any difference in the real world Exclamation
Because how many of use stick to the legal limit anyway Question

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
reduce emissions of greenhouse gases.

Not if everyone drove around in 1st gear reving the shite out of it. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1