Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

tour of europe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rik
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:13 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: tour of europe Reply with quote

hey all

at the moment im planning a very large tour of europe,i started with a vage idea of where i was going but its snowballing.lol. Rolling Eyes

im now taking in the Nurburgring, Austrian alps, Italian alps, the N85 in France, monaco, Andorra and a couple of days in Spain if i can manage it, prefferably Barcelona.

by the looks of things this'll be a daft questions thread, but you know how it is once there in your head you just need to ask Laughing

i've checked through the previous threads and found a lot of answers but nothing solid on two questions(a very daft one, and a sensible one Wink )

im planning on spending 2 to 4 days in the alps, i have a zx-6r and my friend has an R1 which is returning 100-120ish miles to a tank which leaves me asking how many petrol stations are there in the alps? i feel so daft asking but i've never been before, is it like the highlands of Scotland , every 100 miles or so?

has anyone gone from Austria --> Milan through the alps? any idea how long that'll take realisticly, doing maybe 500 miles tops 400 min? probably a low average speed. i think thats my sensible question Thumbs Up

im sure i'll rack them up before i leave in the summer.

cheers

rik Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 01:36 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: tour of europe Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
im planning on spending 2 to 4 days in the alps, i have a zx-6r and my friend has an R1 which is returning 100-120ish miles to a tank which leaves me asking how many petrol stations are there in the alps? i feel so daft asking but i've never been before, is it like the highlands of Scotland , every 100 miles or so?

The areas of the alps I've been to have fairly regular petrol stations, but it's a few years since I've been.. I'm sure someone else will likely be able to give you an idea of average distance between them. Not as far as Scotland though from what I can remember!

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 09:16 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished doing something very similar to what you described, but in reverse (starting in Spain).

There are plenty of petrol stations in both the Alps and the Pyrenees, certainly your mate's thirsty R1 shouldn't have problems with tank range. A lot of the bigger valley towns have their own filling station, and as for Andorra there must be something funny going on there, as they have either a bike shop or a fuel stop seemingly every ten yards.

Remember that unless you stick to the Autoroutes in the Alps your progress will be fairly slow, as most of the interesting roads follow the countours of the mountains, sometimes with little regard for forward progress. My advice would be to take in as many passes as you can en route, to get your fix of hairpins and serious twisties.

I remember waking up one morning in the Pyrenees and checking my handheld GPS, which said it was 62 miles in a straight line to Andorra. I then spend 3 hours carving along the main road which on the map appeared to head straight there. Exhausted from the endless twisties I checked my GPS again, wondering how much further it could possibly be - surely I must be right on top of it by now. Not a chance; it was still 40 miles away!

Mountains... Seriously good fun! Thumbs Up Very Happy

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you'll find the alps are better than the British Motorways for service stations!!!!

Go for it, I did something similar and there's nothing that beats a good tour.

My only advice is: watch out for the French police.

You have been warned! Rolling Eyes

If you're interested in seeing my tour:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=97828

But most of all: ENJOY IT!

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 12:39 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember a lot of the petrol stations will be closed on Sundays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:15 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mate could take a syphon with him and if he does run out then he can have (or buy at a price) some of yours.

Sounds like a hellva trip.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 13:18 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonB wrote:
Your mate could take a syphon with him and if he does run out then he can have (or buy at a price) some of yours.

Or he could get a camel back insert and conect it to his fuel tank. Wink

Not sure if they're rated for petrol mind. Laughing

Rik
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:21 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info guys Thumbs Up

plenty more questions to come tho

rik

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 28 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshAL wrote:
Remember a lot of the petrol stations will be closed on Sundays.

And especially in Italy, the small ones are often only self service ones ("Fai da te") that don't take cards or coins (so, no change), so make sure you have ten-euro notes for emergencies. It's normal practice if you only have, say twenty euros, for you to fill up and for another biker/car to use the rest of the money's worth and pay you for it. Again, if you only have a fiver, ask a driver paying with a card if you can "buy" a fiver's worth of petrol.

Korn wrote:
...as for Andorra there must be something funny going on there, as they have either a bike shop or a fuel stop seemingly every ten yards.

Yes, it's a duty free country. Thumbs Up

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 28 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
And especially in Italy, the small ones are often only self service ones ("Fai da te") that don't take cards or coins (so, no change), so make sure you have ten-euro notes for emergencies.

Yup, avoid these like the plague if you can. I lost over 30euros to one of these thieving fucking things because it never had any warning about not getting change Evil or Very Mad Got a receipt which said something in Italian like "Hand in this receipt for your change", however learned I could only use it at the same petrol station I got it from, not from any other Esso station. Though if you need petrol and there's nowhere open, then you do what you've got to do. However that did piss me off quite a bit on the few days that followed.

For some reason, a lot of petrol stations in the South of Italy stay open on Sundays, and often until quite late. Not sure why it is that in the North/center this is not the case.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that the Swiss have their own currency, something I completely forgot about! Embarassed

The bigger places near the borders do take Euros, but in the teeny little village petrol stations up in the mountains you will often just get a funny look. Luckily pretty much all of them take plastic, so even if you don't carry Swiss Francs you can still get by ok.

Rik
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:52 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

how did you's guys do for getting accomodation in the alps? im going in june, so will be busy do'h!!!!

the plan is to have a tent but i dont fancy sleeping in the alps, bit chilly for me Rolling Eyes

were looking to stay around jenbach in austria and Brunico in Italy, obviously can travel 10 miles or so either way for a cheap, recommended or guarantee'd room.

cheers

rik

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
hey

how did you's guys do for getting accomodation in the alps? im going in june, so will be busy do'h!!!!

the plan is to have a tent but i dont fancy sleeping in the alps, bit chilly for me Rolling Eyes

I dont think you'll find the Alps chilly in June... Smile

https://uk.weather.com/weather/climatology/AUXX0010

Modo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:14 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
Rik wrote:
hey

I dont think you'll find the Alps chilly in June... Smile

https://uk.weather.com/weather/climatology/AUXX0010

The Alps has it`s own weather system which has a 10 day, cycle I was in Chamonix in June this year and when we arrived it was the last day in the cycle and it was cold and raining.
The following day the weather improved and by lunch was 38 C by the outside swiming pool. So if you are going to the apls in June check the weather forcast as ofter as possible before you go.

I can strongly reccomend www.skiers-lodge.eu.com This B&B is run by a british couple and is biker friendly Thumbs Up

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:25 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how high up in the Alps how cold it gets at night. Camping in Digne-les-Bains just off the N85 in July was very hot. A week and a half later up at 8000ft by the Italian/Austrian border with glaciers in eyeshot it was definitely not camping weather!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1