Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

France and Italy on a naked ER6n!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: France and Italy on a naked ER6n!! Reply with quote

It's thanks to you lot at BCF that I plucked up the courage to actually take off.

And apart from the poor pictures in Paris (my camera is shite at night) I'm well glad I did it.

I even met loads of bikers on the ferry and on the trip. One of them had this gorgeous Busa! (see pic)

Oh, and here are some pics of France and Italy... Well worth the trip.

My only regret is that I didn't push it to the Italian lakes. Next time!

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 20:07 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, what was Mont Blanc and the surrounding area like? Always fancied going there at some point.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Thumbs Up the er6 looks tasty in black with the red frame.

So where did you go/ what route?

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mont Blanc is absolutely amazing. Top biking country. Razz

Long sweeping bends over bridges and the motorway surface is almost track-standard.

I went though paris and spent a night there. Then through Dijon and followed the signs for Mont Blanc.

If you are planning on going down there, though, I recommend pushin on towards the Italian lakes. Lake Como and Lecco are absolutely brilliant. People are fairly decent too.

The winter is harsh, though, so spring/summer is probably the best time. Well worth the trip though... Wink

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:08 - 17 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'yeh right' pic is now my desktop background
thanks

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:47 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long did you go for? and was it on your own? looks really nice around mont blanc

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
Lake Como and Lecco are absolutely brilliant. People are fairly decent too.

Apart from those who cut up a bike at a roundabout at a high speed (him, not me), and seeing the bike go down, do a runner. Evil or Very Mad Top hospital in Lecco, though! Thumbs Up

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how long did you go for? and was it on your own?

Yeh. Was planning to tour europe for a week but the windblast gave me a bit of a headache! (Bloody naked bikes - its the last one i buy). So I stopped off in Italy for a few days to see some mates I have there.

Really good trip though.

Another plus is that in Europe you can pop off the motorway, drive 10 mins and find some middle-of-the-road restaurant which does top food!

And as far as going on my own, I think everyone should do it at least once, coz:

1.) You get to meet loads of people you wouldn't probably otherwise talk to.

2.) It clears the mind and lets you enjoy the bike and the elements that little bit more.

I actually met this guy who coincidentally was planning to do Nordkapp next year as am I!! So looks like I've found a biking partner!

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apart from those who cut up a bike at a roundabout at a high speed

True. But you've got to remember that roundabouts are a new thing in Italy.

Question is, would a tumble ever stop you from getting on that bike and setting of for the continent? Wink

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
Question is, would a tumble ever stop you from getting on that bike and setting of for the continent? Wink

No, I'm doing it again next year. Probably alone again, so I can do what I want instead of having to compromise. My friend that I was supposed to go with didn't want to go to the Ducati factory, so I thought I'd leave it till 'the next time'. She then played silly buggers a week before the trip and wrote off her clutch, so I had to decide to either wait or go on my own. So, off I went. Had a great time at the factory! Very Happy

I didn't have any probs doing my two-week trip on a naked bike, so not sure why you were suffering from wind blast. Confused Surely you didn't think the '130' signs were in miles...? Wink

You also don't have to leave the m/way for decent grub, certainly not in France!

bin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cracking pics mark....how did the tyres react, they look like pilot roads....

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 22 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how did the tyres react

Funny you should mention it.....

They're Dunlops (which came as standard on the bike). I think they're pretty good, but in the wet they didn't cope all that well with all the extra weight.

bin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:16 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what you mean....I went from bt 020s to michelin pilot roads a longer lasting tyre with better road holding wet or dry.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

popwud wrote:
See what you mean....I went from bt 020s to michelin pilot roads a longer lasting tyre with better road holding wet or dry.

You like the michelins? I've heard alot of conflicting opinions on them. Alot of people think they take too long got warm up, some say they're rubbish in the wet but others rate them...

bin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:05 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilot road's where tested by gsx1400 owners across the globe and was given a good report for this heavy torquey bike....thats why I had them and found the vagueness of the 020s dissapeared....but if you fitted the pilot roads to a sports bike and they lost grip while getting your knee down then you would get conflicting reports....the right tyre for the right usage....my next tyres are going to be pilot road....

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Thumbs Up I'm a sports-touring tyre person myself, seen as how I commute with the bike and can't be replacing them every 3000 miles... just when I needed new tyres a while ago a couple of bad reports (true or not) were enough to make me hesitate.

I got some continental road attack tyres in the end, I'd recommend them if you fancied a change Thumbs Up

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
ok Thumbs Up I'm a sports-touring tyre person myself, seen as how I commute with the bike and can't be replacing them every 3000 miles... just when I needed new tyres a while ago a couple of bad reports (true or not) were enough to make me hesitate.

I got some continental road attack tyres in the end, I'd recommend them if you fancied a change Thumbs Up

Contis are my next choice, I think. I've heard that they are one of the quickest at warming up, which is reassuring when you've got the extra weight on. Thanks for the advice! Thumbs Up

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:25 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Done! Glad you took the chance and enjoyed it. It takes a fair bit of bravery to decide to do something like that on your own.

On tyres - I have always liked the 020s and now they've released 021s, I shall be trying them next. Supposedly more wet grip and 15% longer lasting than the 020 (for me that'll be about 9k then). So pretty good from where I'm sitting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ultras
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:58 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics,i have never been outside romania with motorcycle,i am planning next summer to do a short trip around hungary!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ultras
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:09 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics,i have never been outside romania with motorcycle,i am planning next summer to do a short trip around hungary!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultras wrote:

Nice. I've heard good things about Hungary (especially the women!) Wink

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:00 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love France, was a student there many years ago.

I don't have this negative opinion that many people have of the french, perhaps parce que , je habite en bretagne and they have a different outlook.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I love France, was a student there many years ago.

I don't have this negative opinion that many people have of the french, perhaps parce que , je habite en bretagne and they have a different outlook.

Maybe. But if you lived on the south coast, you'd get tired of them. Trust me. They act like their goal in life is to make yours more difficult (have you ever tried calling a french phone company call centre for help? or interacted with the post office in any way?). The general rudeness of people in the street or in shops, the way they let their dogs shit anywhere...
I have lived here on and off for nearly 2 years, I came here with no preconceptions and an open mind but from my experience here, day in day out, I really hate the bastards. Don't get me wrong, I have french friends, but as a society, its the worst I've ever seen, and I've travelled a fair bit.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite different in Bretagne (Britanny).

They all had quite a gaelic outlook and they were told as Bretagnes that they must visit Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Ireland.

They had their own language, which some people spoke.

For the non french speakers and that includes me now. Bretagne is french for Brittany and Grande Bretagne is the french for Great Britain. Hence brittany is viewed differently to the rest of france, its own language, flag oh and weather system.

The other thing I loved about Brittany in the early 1990s was how cheap things were, my uni accommodation on campus was £16 per week (I could claim £8 back off the french state), I could buy 24 beer bottles for less than £2.50 and a cheap bottle of wine was less than 4 francs. Ohh and I was getting about £130 a week in grants.

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 14 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

The other thing I loved about Brittany in the early 1990s was how cheap things were, my uni accommodation on campus was £16 per week (I could claim £8 back off the french state), I could buy 24 beer bottles for less than £2.50 and a cheap bottle of wine was less than 4 francs. Ohh and I was getting about £130 a week in grants.

Boy oh boy! Uni days..........

All I can remember is scantily clad girls and spending more on booze than food. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1