Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What protective gear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

smartroad
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: What protective gear? Reply with quote

I have done a lot of reading on if it is better for go for leather or textiles. My ultimate decision is to go for a textile jacket and leather trousers.

My thoughts for this are that a textile jacket offers water and wind profing better then that of a leather jacket. Also given the english weather it would make sense to have something that is water proof! Also they tend to be less expensive then leather. The trousers would be leather as leather appears to be far harder wearing should I fall off at speed and I have a pair of waterproof trousers that can go over them should it start to rain etc.

Is this an okay idea as a balance between protection/water resistance/price?
____________________
I need a bike, bugger, only got A2 how will I deal with only 33 horses Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BigChris
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a personal preference. Whatever you go for make sure you've got full CE approved armour, including back protectors.

Personally I have both textiles and leather, weather depending what I wear.

I feel safer wearing leather, since its a tighter fit and means pads are less likely to slip out of place.

That said, i've never fell off yet, so cant say which is safer when you need it most.

Finally, big bucks does not mean better quality! Shop around, choosing what fits, not the name.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the best kit you can afford.

If your going to be rideing in all weather, your better off with a full Textile set for now.

I have 2 sets of kit myself.
For my commute I have a textile jacket, Draggin' Jeans (kevlar lined in areas), helmet, gloves and boots.

For anything else I have Rev'it RS2 leather jacket & Rev'it Pulse leather trousers, as well as the usual helmet, gloves and boots.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they said though as stink says

Leather = slide
Textile = grip and roll = faster decelleration

hence forth

Textiles better for city riding

Leather better for track

its often not the thing that makes you come off that kills you but what you slide under.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: What protective gear? Reply with quote

smartroad wrote:
I have done a lot of reading on if it is better for go for leather or textiles. My ultimate decision is to go for a textile jacket and leather trousers.... and I have a pair of waterproof trousers that can go over them should it start to rain etc. ....


Sounds like a pretty good compromise to me.
I've only been riding for less than a year, but because I plan to ride thru the winter I'm currently riding in textiles. I have no problems with them personally, but I can see the advantage of leathers with the option of waterproof overtrousers. Basically if I was starting again, I'd probably go with your suggestion, as the knee pads in my textiles can sometimes slip out of position.

HTH
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smartroad
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers all! I think I will go with my plan and then upgrade as and when money allows to full leathers for good weather, textiles for bad Very Happy
____________________
I need a bike, bugger, only got A2 how will I deal with only 33 horses Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to be buying new gear again, I would go for something similar to the hein gericke suits that combine the two. They are textile and goretex suits primarily but the major areas such as elbows and shoulder are coated in leather giving you the best of both worlds. Ive crashed in both my textiles and leathers and have not since wore textiles as I felt that the armour shifted too much and I got major friction burns through them. I feel safer in leathers especially when combined with my back protector!

Depends on your budget though bud! Whatever you do though make sure that it fits well! Thumbs Up
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a Frank Thomas Titanium Fusion 2 pc textile suit and I can't rate it enough.

The jacket it is really fitted, nearly as much as some leathers I tried on and it's really really warm as well.

£239 and it's cover in zip vents, reinforced panels, thick, CE approved armour. a generous back protector (soft).

It also zips all the way around as well as having a tab at the back that zips partically.

The lining also zips up as well as the outside of the jacket, for added warmth.

I did have to go for large pants and a medium jacket, as I found the medium bottoms didn't fit with the liner out and jeans on.

Furygan textile stuff looks quite good too, they didn't have pants in my size though so I gave them a miss.

Also bought frank thomas kangaroo gloves with textile outer and a leather palm, comes with a neoprene liner, nice and warm.

I do like the look of leathers, but I figure that most of the time on the road you'd be better stopping than sliding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smartroad
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby, where did you get yours from?
____________________
I need a bike, bugger, only got A2 how will I deal with only 33 horses Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
What they said though as stink says

Leather = slide
Textile = grip and roll = faster decelleration

hence forth

Textiles better for city riding

Leather better for track

its often not the thing that makes you come off that kills you but what you slide under.


You got any evidence for this Itchy mate?
(That you stay moving for longer with leathers)

The way I saw it, I bought leather based on my biggest worry...
ie a high speed off... Leather will not wear out anywhere near as quickly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that "grip and roll" would end up with some bad injuries at speed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thefallenange...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reppyboyo wrote:
I would think that "grip and roll" would end up with some bad injuries at speed.


But when do you do high speeds in a city.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wilbur
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO a full race suit is overkill for popping out for the paper.

A jacket (leather) with body armour is my preferred route.

You can get re-inforced denim jeans.

Track days or long blast one piece leathers (with armour)

Just my opinion, you will get no consensus on this one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

i_am_tim
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the sale section in your local bike shop, i picked up a £280 arlen ness leather jacket for £160!

i figured you get what you pay for, so a jacket thats supposed to cost that much should be better than one thats only supposed to be £150

it shows too! nice substantial armour that doesnt move around at all, barely any damage to the jacket and none to me after a 40mph flip over a central island

still need leather jeans though, anyone know a good set for £150 max?
____________________
previous bike: 2000 Aprilia rs 125 - SOLD

current bike: 2001 Yamaha R6 - sweeeeet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:12 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartroad wrote:
Toby, where did you get yours from?


J&S in Northwich.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smartroad
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_tim wrote:
i figured you get what you pay for, so a jacket thats supposed to cost that much should be better than one thats only supposed to be £150


Or they are making a silly amount of profit on the more expensive one Wink Very Happy
____________________
I need a bike, bugger, only got A2 how will I deal with only 33 horses Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smartroad
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
smartroad wrote:
Toby, where did you get yours from?


J&S in Northwich.


Cool cheers Very Happy
____________________
I need a bike, bugger, only got A2 how will I deal with only 33 horses Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all-year, all-weather use, Cordura or similar is ideal as they're usually waterproof, and if you get over-trousers, you can put them over your normal clothes so you don't have to do a striptease when you get to the office!

Hein Gericke kit is excellent value, and very well made. I used their kit almost daily for five years, without breaking it - it was still warm and waterproof if not a little shabby (never crash-tested it though!).

HTH Smile
____________________
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

You got any evidence for this Itchy mate?
(That you stay moving for longer with leathers)

The way I saw it, I bought leather based on my biggest worry...
ie a high speed off... Leather will not wear out anywhere near as quickly.



heres the science apparently

Cordura nylon fibers will stretch over the bumps and snap back to shape, while non-stretching Kevlar fibers will grab the surface bumps and pull apart. That’s why “Kevlar” riding suits are not pure Kevlar fabric, but a blend of special flexible Kevlar fibers, Cordura Nylon, and stretch Lycra. Only one company in the world produces Kevlar fabric suitable for motorcycle garments: Schoeller Textile Company, in Switzerland.


SNIP
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dew
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO if you planning to commute to work then textiles trousers are worth considering. Thumbs Up Saves you changing and all when you reach office.
____________________
Theory: 34/35, 64/75 Test: 23-Oct-06 PASSED (No minors)
Current: Ninja ZX- 6R Future: ???
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 112.32 Kb