Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I bought the 400 Zephyr!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: I bought the 400 Zephyr! Reply with quote

Yep, had a day bike-shopping today and tried out all sorts of stuff.

First place we went to had a couple of suitable ones. Sat on a 400 Shadow first, not impressed at all. Seat was wide, bars were "wrong" and Himself reckoned it would be dog-slow too. They also had a 535 Virago so I sat on that for a laugh - erm even I with my love of cruisers do not like these things! Last bike looked at there (by me) was a 400 bandit with the bikini fairing. Very nice paint job but not the v-tech engine Sad and also felt a bit taller than the last one I sat on. In the meantime himself had found a very shiny black XJR1300 that I practically had to prise him off, only thing he wasn't keen on was the peg positions so I enticed him away with hints that the next place we were due to visit had a v-max....... Wink

Next up a shop with a very clean XJ400 Diversion, faired, nice but unfortunately waaay too tall. Couple of stunning bikes in this shop, both done by the same people (whose name I have forgotten Embarassed ). One was a turbo 'busa drag/streetfighter, extra long swing-arm, all sorts of tricks and gadgets, the other was also a streetfighter but I have no idea what engine was in it! Tried to get some pics but they have come out a bit dark, I'll get the Idle Son to try and clean them up a bit in photosop I think and see if I can get them ready for posting.

Final shop gave me an initial choice of 4 bikes. The Fazer 400 was lovely but again my feet were hanging in the breeze, couldn't even get it off the stand. Moved onto an XJR400, right height this time, nice upright riding position, couldn't really fault it. Tried the v-tech 400 Bandit again, after the XJR it felt tiny and cheap! Not a bad bike but decided I definitely wasn't comfortable with the dropped bars. Last bike to try and this was really the one I'd come to see in the first place. K-reg ZR400 Zephyr, nice and clean, good price, very hopeful. It just felt "right" when I got on it, even the dealer said I looked way more comfortable than I had on any of the others. Riding position was not unlike the XJR, being fairly upright and feet just set a bit back, but somehow the bike felt a lot sturdier.

So, a price was negotiated (£200 less than the ticket price, about right I felt) and a deposit left. Himself will go to collect her on Monday. Already taxed and MOT'd til next August so just need to drop the rear suspension down a couple of notches (it was on the top setting, and for me even another inch helps) and maybe have an inch taken out of the seat too for safety, get her on my insurance and I shall be off!

Proper photos to follow once she's home but this is the dealer's pic:

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/KZEPHYR400.jpg
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very very nice bike Thumbs Up

Only thing i'd do is an end can swap, perhaps a stubby one, but other than that its lurvely Very Happy
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks tiny Shocked
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
It looks tiny Shocked


Good, cos I am somewhat vertically challenged........ Embarassed Laughing
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one cool looking bike!! Cool

Looks so neat and compact yet at the same time clearly not budget!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wilbur
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. I'd leave the pipe until it rots.

Word of warning those wheels are a pig to clean. Try and keep the salt off them and/or spray em with a protective coating.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

better than the usual no go cruiser type thing you keep looking at Razz

have fun, looks like a nice bike Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:34 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a ZRX400 swing arm on it, bolts straight on Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice JO Thumbs Up ,

have always loved the seat / tail part of them bikes. If i ever do a streetfighter it will have the tail of a zephyr on it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue is it a written review or a 'net one? As I'm having trouble finding anything about them that isn't in Japanese!

If it's on the 'net a link would be really helpful, also thanks for the info as it always helps to know what I am looking for if I need spares etc. Thumbs Up
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice bike!. Welcome to air-cooled kawasaki bikes.
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw cheers could you maybe email it to me [email protected]?

You didn't have to go to any trouble, but it's much appreciated that you have......... Smile
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh oh me feels the pace of of ride outs is about to get a little bit faster!
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the Z750 motor will fit (thats the REAL aircooled Z750 engine i mean)
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the aircooled GPZ 1100 motor will go in.

I was trying to get Proximity to shoehorn one into his 550 zephyr....
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

O don't mind a bad review to be homest, if it tells me stuff to watch out for it's all useful info!

Blue you're right, heeight and weight were very much an option when I was bike-shopping and this one seems to be OK. I'll bore you all to death with my own review if the weather lets me out to play on her over the coming weeks! Very Happy

Dunno about putting a big engine in just yet, I kinda think it would be a good idea for me to learn to handle the one I've got first........ Embarassed
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, did you try a Superfour/CB1 in your search?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB1? Yup, looked at a couple. Too tall Sad I know you can get lowering kits for them cos I have a mate who is even shorter than me and after putting different shocks on the back and doing something to the front forks too she rides one, but I really wanted something fairly cheap and cheerful that I wouldn't need to mess about with too much.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.31 Kb