Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Pillions ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Pillions ? Reply with quote

I've finally gone and got myself a house and Fiancee moved in 3 months ago. All is rosy but I've not been out for a spin since and I'm getting twitchy. Part of the reason is I feel guilty leaving Sarah on her lonesome whilst I'm out zooming around the countryside as she's not really made any freinds yet and she can't drive. I'd like to take her pillion and she's said she'd like to have a little go on the back - just round a car park, but I've previously said I'd never take anyone pillion as worried about having an accident. If I binned it and only hurt myself that's one thing but don't think I could handle it if she came off badly. How many on here take pillions and did you convince them to join you or the other way round ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a year or so my girlfriend wouldn't even think of siting on the bike let alone moveing on it.. now we go everywhere on it (because right now i dont drive) she dosent particuarly like geting a car lift either even in this weather Laughing
Carpark is a shit place to have a go.. an big deserted one perhaps but they are THE most dangerous place when busy, not to mention at low speed this is the most tricky bit of pillion takeing.. a short run to a petrol station or an empty industrial estate maybe..
If you are takeing her out for a ride she will need the same decent gear you have Thumbs Up (have a look through my sig on rideing tips theres a section on pillions which is very usefull)
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - hadn't really thought about it but low speed manoeuvering isn't easy at the best of times, let alone with a pillion on lol. My second worry would be the shopping for leathers and the inevitable - "this makes me look fat" - no matter how many times I tell her she doesn't Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant trust yourself to ride sensibly with a pillion on board maybe you shouldent be riding at all yourself. You sound like someone with low self-confidence when it comes to riding... either that or you push to hard too much of the time...

When a pillion is onboard (and assuming you and said pillion are not nutters) it is not the time to be getting knee down action...

You say you havent rode for 3 months? maybe you should go out by yourself and brush off those cobwebs before you attempt something which you are clearly nervous about.

The only form of transport between my girlfriend and myself is my bike, unless she wants to take public transport she has no option, at first she was understandably nervous, she loves it now, except when its raining... but as long as you dont ride like an idiot it will be ok.

Make sure you are smooth with gear changes as well as braking/acceleration. Before she even gets on tell her the basics... ie keep your feet on the pegs, hold on to wherever you feel most safe/confortable. Under hard braking she may wish to brace herself on the tank.

Dont even try and go fast at first, if you do a racing start the first time she gets on she will never relax and most likely hate bikes for a long time... go very slowly at first and just build up pace untill you are at a speed that is comfortable for both of you.

There is a possibility of having an accident, and she, just like you must accept that before slinging her leg over that seat. You can mitigate some of the risks by having good observation, dominating your road position, being visible. When starting taking pillions i would recommend against filtering untill you are comfortable with the increased breaking distance and weight...

That aside i would hope your fiancee would be understanding of you wanting to go out for a blast by yourself...

Goodluck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important thing to say is for her to sit totally still while your going slow untill your fully stopped (cause people assume going fast woudl be a the worst time for jiggleing about, which as we know its not the case) and not to get on/off untill you say so.. other than that make sure they only lean as much as you do, no more, no less.. appart from that its all ok usually Very Happy i'd reccomend some of the "love handles" things, they look mad by there very usefull, herself is much more comfortable with them..

Once you have it worked out its one of the most rewarding things about bikeing, more fun in summer really but still fun in winter when the weather is right Thumbs Up

Good luck Wink
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

irving
Traffic Copper



Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>

Last edited by irving on 10:40 - 22 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don,

I can trust myself to ride safely as I've not had an accident (I know I really shouldn't say that ) and although I'm not what I'd class as a good rider (although that's quite an ambiguous term) I take very few risks. I don't doubt my own ability as I ride within my limits and gradually push beyond what I know I can do to progress.
If I was that nervous about riding I'd have sold the thing by now. Sarah has said all along she's no problem with me going out by myself for a blast but I'd like to involve her as I think she would enjoy it. I ride a Bandit so the seats comfy and has good grab handles, just had the usual guilt trips laid on me by family about accidents and how they'd blame my dad for getting me into bikes, don't want the same from her family that's all Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gixajane
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my husband on the back of my gixa 3 weeks ago, had pondered on the idea for weeks but didn't think I could take anyone on the back, thinking it would effect my balance, cornering etc.
I told him I would take him to the end of the close for a try, felt better than I thought so off we set.... that was the first time I had taken anyone as pillion since coming back to biking in April this year.
After I had taken him for a 50 mile tootle I dropped him off back home and went for a spin on my own just to get the feel back of just me and the bike.

I have taken him on a 200 mile ride since.
Got to say much prefer riding on my own though.

GJ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep forgot that one mr.z... nothing worse than being stoped, having hands off the bars or one leg down and the pillion decides to juggle around, nearly making you drop the bike... Get those ground rules down...

Steveone, you sound like you have your head screwed on as far as riding is concerned, the fact that you are asking for advice about this tells me you will do everything in your power to make sure you are both safe and have a good time...

Quite frankly fuck what your family or hers are saying in regards to guilt trips, the only thing listing to those will accomplish is making you more nervous and more likely to have an accident... As long as you and your lady are happy with the way you ride then thats ok.

And i think she would enjoy it, as would you. There is something to be said for getting a massive hug from behind while riding along... not to mention they keep your back warm Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar boat here myself mate;

My girlfriend lives a good 20 minute walk away from me, and whilst we both like a good walk it's through a very bad neighbourhood (one in which I was stabbed in a few months back) so we try to avoid it by riding along the main road (a 5 minute journey).

I can't afford a car at the moment, nor do I really want one to be honest. It took a good few months for my girlfriend to pick up the courage to get on the back of my bike but after I was stabbed she refused to let me walk through that area to meet her anymore, and pillion was our only option...

She was on the back of my TZR for a month or two. God, she is brave, I went on the back of it when my mate was riding (he bought it off me) and I was shitting bricks the entire time! It just felt so small, as if I was sitting on a pinhead.

Anyway, her first time I just started really slowly, hardly went over 30 at all. Just took her for a little ride around the block really, came back, asked her how she felt. She loved it Very Happy

Now that we're on the divvy she loves going on the back and to be honest I probably ride with her as a pillion more often than I ride solo. She's a right speed freak too, as well as some good help when dickheads pull out on me at junctions (she goes beserk on the back, thrown some things a few times... including a dirty pair of boxer shorts... don't ask)


In short: Ride carefully, and you'll be fine. If you're worried about accidents (and who isn't?) ask your girlfriend to be another set of eyes for you and to warn you about anything she thinks could be a threat. She'll be all over the place at first but once she gets used to being a pillion you'll find that she can probably point out a lot of things that you might not have noticed.
____________________
Yamaha YB100 | Yamaha TZR125 | Yamaha XJ600S | Suzuki GSF600
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[obvious mode]

Or you could help and encourage her to learn to ride herself and get her own bike....... Wink

[/obvious mode]
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
[obvious mode]

Or you could help and encourage her to learn to ride herself and get her own bike....... Wink

[/obvious mode]



After a few rides on the back of your bike, if she's anything like my girlfriend, you won't need to encourage her Smile
____________________
Yamaha YB100 | Yamaha TZR125 | Yamaha XJ600S | Suzuki GSF600
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant agree more with the others, theres some really good information from them regarding your question Thumbs Up

I've just taken my other half out today, those 'love handles' i must reccomend. Gives her a good solid grip and she wont have to stretch.

Take your time, stick within your limits and no one elses. I'd also reccomend you get some kind of way to find out how she is while your riding. For example,

Arrow 1 squeeze = shes ok
Arrow 2 squeeze's = slow down
Arrow constant squeezes = stop
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BorderHooner
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it can be worrying.

Personally I find bikes are more stable and planted with the extra weight of a pillion.

Go for it.

Just make sure she has all the gear and a back protector, enjoy the spring!
____________________
Benelli. Happy as a pig in cacky.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:46 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my lady out on the back, and even now I'm still concerned about it.
I've got an Autocom fitted which is great - she can tell me exactly what is going on back there. I always run through a couple of things first so that she doesn't shift about or lean incorrectly.

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to handle it if she came off - I'm exactly the same. But I don't ride the same when she's on as when I'm by myself... just take it nice and steady!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:24 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started taking pillions the day after my test, ususally asked rather than ask Thumbs Up
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:46 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv took about 8-10 diff ppl on back of mine(men & women) & all the above is pretty much all the info you need... AS FAR AS INFO GOES! but rest is down to you feeling it for yourself cause it IS diff to riding alone & i prefer riding alone cause i can go alot more mader knowing the bikes more stable & knowing its me in control of my consequenses, but most love it once they get a feel for it Wink just take it easy & build up speed,etc along with THERE confidence,my sis LOVES IT!!!!! Mr. Green & thats even when i accel so hard that the front lifts up while shes on back & when she gets off she grins like mad! Laughing (although thats not a normal way to ride & i dont 99% of time... SPECIALLY being in london!)

but make sure your aware of there movements @ certain points cause that can catch you out if they move while your not ready for it! when im on own i have 1 foot on peg alot of time but with any pillion its stop & both flat down till go again!

enjoy it tho Thumbs Up Wink & dont think the 1st ride will be so amazing cause its you getting use to them on board & them getting use to being on board

but after a while you'll be so relaxed about it all(till another newbie gets on Rolling Eyes ) & it'll become 2nd nature

good luck mate! Wink
____________________
GSXR750
(FAR FAR from standard) www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice everyone, once weather picks up I reckon we'll give it a go Thumbs Up she's a bit a closet speed freak but i'm gonna work up to it lol.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Captain Caveman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

distortion wrote:
Arrow 1 squeeze = shes ok
Arrow 2 squeeze's = slow down
Arrow constant squeezes = stop


What has she got a hold of?? That sounds sore Laughing

The advice given above is v-good. Can't harp on about the kit she is wearing enough. If she is properly protected from head to toe, if something out with your control happens then you have full piece of mind she had proper gear on and not a vest and a pair of hotpants (I only rode like this once, I was under the influence, the officer never seen the funny side......).

When you’re telling the other half the do's and don'ts do not sound nervous sound confident, just relax all though you’re bricking it inside cause lets face it write her off for a few weeks and it's back to the rubber doll Thumbs Down

I got my wife on the bike a few months ago after spending mucho money on kit for her and all is well in the world, in fact she loves it. To solve the leather problem she bought textiles with armour & removable thermal lining. Have fun.
____________________
Mazda Bongo 2.5 V6 = MPG 22 0-60 Fast for a camper van...
Impreza - somewhere between the two.....
R1 = MPG-who cares 0-100 Slightly faster......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

six
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEVEONE wrote:
Cheers - hadn't really thought about it but low speed manoeuvering isn't easy at the best of times, let alone with a pillion on lol. My second worry would be the shopping for leathers and the inevitable - "this makes me look fat" - no matter how many times I tell her she doesn't Rolling Eyes

"you are fat" usually shuts them up Wink
____________________
I ride: 2003 Aprilia RS50
Yamaha R1 Fund: ?-0600.00 (grr Sad)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColdInsomnia wrote:
babyyam wrote:
[obvious mode]

Or you could help and encourage her to learn to ride herself and get her own bike....... Wink

[/obvious mode]



After a few rides on the back of your bike, if she's anything like my girlfriend, you won't need to encourage her Smile

Ditto, gettin a 125 and next year doing her a2.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Trixie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Caveman wrote:
[not a vest and a pair of hotpants (I only rode like this once, I was under the influence, the officer never seen the funny side......).


Let me get this right...you rode a bike wearing a vest and hotpants? Shocked

Hope you shaved yer legs! Laughing
____________________
Dead nobodies in company cars...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nervous also with Mrs. K. on the back of the bike for the first time. I'd been riding a year and she decided it was time to jump on the back so we picked up a helmet and rode up to Northapton to pick up some gear for her. We had a few wobbles on the Divvy but got to grips with it all.

Quick gear changes is the key. I for some reason started trying to smoothly change gear by doing it slowly but all this did was jerk the bike and cause us to clash lids. Smile. Quick gear shifts sorted that out right away. We've done a few hundred+ mile runs out on the bike(s) and she's comfortable and confident on the back now. A rear box is a bonus as it gives the pillion something to lean on.

I picked up the ZZR and we did a 400 mile round trip to leeds-Bradford in the worst blustery weather I've ever ridden in 3 days later. Now she gets grumpy if we don't take the bike out for a spin at the weekend.. Smile

K.
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Captain Caveman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixie wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
[not a vest and a pair of hotpants (I only rode like this once, I was under the influence, the officer never seen the funny side......).

Hope you shaved yer legs! Laughing


Only below the knee ofcourse, anything else would just look stupid Laughing
____________________
Mazda Bongo 2.5 V6 = MPG 22 0-60 Fast for a camper van...
Impreza - somewhere between the two.....
R1 = MPG-who cares 0-100 Slightly faster......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never had that problem really, my ex loved it, and i loved taking her on the back, i wouldnt like to have a girlfriend that didnt like bikes, ive had one before and it was a pain in the arse.

take her on the back, dont try to impress, try to make it as smooth as possbile with braking and gear changes, oh and speed.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.87 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 144.39 Kb