Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Warming Up.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

drumwrecker
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Warming Up. Reply with quote

My friend recently bought a new Triumph 955i and was told to make sure the bike was warmed up and the engine had settled down to a normal tickover before moving off. Why? I don't have to do that in my car which fuel injected and every bike I have had, although carbruated, I drive off immediately after starting and let it warm up on the move so as to get it off the choke asap.
I know there are lots of opinions on this but can anybody give the facts and reasons?
____________________
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said but I am sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Daytona 955i's are hard to ride in cold start mode?

Personally I think that engines don't get fully warmed up until they are used a bit.

Incidentally is it a brand new 955i?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided your not blasting arorund like a loon till its reached normal operateing temp your unlikely to cause a problem.. i tend to let it get to a level tickover before moveing off just so its not going to cut out at the lights or something..
Time it takes to bck up out the drive and gt my gloves on seem enough even in the dead of winter..
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - any engine, bike or car, should be treated gently until it's up to proper operating temperature. Revving it to bits as soon as you've started it up is a bad idea. But that doesn't mean don't drive/ride it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

drumwrecker
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Because Daytona 955i's are hard to ride in cold start mode?

Personally I think that engines don't get fully warmed up until they are used a bit.

Incidentally is it a brand new 955i?


Yes, Brand new. Why?
____________________
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said but I am sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

drumwrecker
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
Provided your not blasting arorund like a loon till its reached normal operateing temp your unlikely to cause a problem.. i tend to let it get to a level tickover before moveing off just so its not going to cut out at the lights or something..
Time it takes to bck up out the drive and gt my gloves on seem enough even in the dead of winter..


I assumed some sympathy to the engine was given when driving away. I know if I was a neighbour and was woken up early on a winters morning to listen to a bike revving away at a standstill for would seem ages at that hour I would get vey annoyed.
____________________
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said but I am sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 12 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good ownership to allow your engine to warm up from cold, just letting it sit a few mins before moving off allows low heat to soak through the engine and get everything going.
particularly when its cold ambient temperature as it allows to oil to warm up and start properly circulating around the system before you abouse the engine Twisted Evil
____________________
A scientist crossed a skunk with an owl. He's got a bird that smells but doesn't give a hoot Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take it very easy for the first 5/10 mins...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

drumwrecker wrote:
mr.z wrote:
Provided your not blasting arorund like a loon till its reached normal operateing temp your unlikely to cause a problem.. i tend to let it get to a level tickover before moveing off just so its not going to cut out at the lights or something..
Time it takes to bck up out the drive and gt my gloves on seem enough even in the dead of winter..


I assumed some sympathy to the engine was given when driving away. I know if I was a neighbour and was woken up early on a winters morning to listen to a bike revving away at a standstill for would seem ages at that hour I would get very annoyed.


I'm sure our neighbours would be really pleased when I'm setting off at 6am and/or coming home at 10/11pm.
I tend to start her up and cautiously ride away almost straight away if I'm starting at an unsocial hour... but being relatively inexperienced I made sure I'm keeping an eye on this thread for the opinions of more experienced riders Thumbs Up
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

drumwrecker
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure our neighbours would be really pleased when I'm setting off at 6am and/or coming home at 10/11pm.
I tend to start her up and cautiously ride away almost straight away if I'm starting at an unsocial hour... but being relatively inexperienced I made sure I'm keeping an eye on this thread for the opinions of more experienced riders Thumbs Up[/quote]

That is exactly what I do but as I said I have only had carbruated bikes and when on choke the bores are awash with petrol which is not good so I get going and get off the choke asap.
Modern fuel injected bikes have engine management systems to ensure the correct fuel air mixture at all times so why shouldn't you be able to drive off from cold with no repercussions?
____________________
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said but I am sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a few jobs i needed to be up and away at 4am, i used to wheel it a few meters down the road to start it where theres less houses Laughing
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dew
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit on my bike, start it and put on earplugs, wear helmet and gloves. It takes about 2 mins and gives time for bike to warm up little bit. Twisted Evil
Why sit on bike? Well, some high profile honda engineer told that if you start the bike and let it idle when it's on side stand, only part of engine is getting oil, so try and ensure that it's evenly on ground when you start it. Dont know how much correct the argument is though Rolling Eyes
____________________
Theory: 34/35, 64/75 Test: 23-Oct-06 PASSED (No minors)
Current: Ninja ZX- 6R Future: ???
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dewPosted: 16:28 - 05 Dec 2006 Post subject:



I sit on my bike, start it and put on earplugs, wear helmet and gloves. It takes about 2 mins and gives time for bike to warm up little bit.
Why sit on bike? Well, some high profile honda engineer told that if you start the bike and let it idle when it's on side stand, only part of engine is getting oil, so try and ensure that it's evenly on ground when you start it. Dont know how much correct the argument is though


Makes sense to me
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
I did a few jobs i needed to be up and away at 4am, i used to wheel it a few meters down the road to start it where theres less houses Laughing


I'd quickly set off down the road and sit outside someone elses house before gently revving the engine Very Happy

There is nothing worse than pulling in the clutch at the first junction for the revs to dip and cut out because its not warmed up enough.

Took a little while the other day for my bike to settle to allow me to ride and it was nt even that cold out Eh? I do hope this was due to the bike being in the run in stage and no petrol in the tank Laughing
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so long as you don't rag it you are fine. Unless of course you are on a RS125 which I heard needs to be at certain temperature before you set off.

What I tend to do is not take it above 6,000 RPM for the first 5 minutes or so. Seeing as the town I live in has a little 30MPH bit where I can stick the bike in 4th and travel at about 3,000 RPM so to let it warm it up for a little, then there is about a mile section of 40MPH so I leave it in the same gear and it is now at about 4,000 RPM. Gently warming it up before I am in the NSL area and going 60MPH in 6th means I am revving at about 5,000. After that and I can almost guarantee my engine is sufficiently warmed up. Smile

It probably seems really anal, but I am not too fussed. Razz
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gixajane
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tick her over for about 1-2 minutes to give the oil chance to circulate set off keep the revs down until the engine gets to 50c then and only then gradually open her up when she gets to 70c.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked is because if it is brand new its a whole different kettle of cod.

Basically, if the dealer told you to warm the bike up correctly, then that is the best advice he can give to make sure the engine lasts as long as possible. He might just be saying it to cover his own back but I would obey it at least during the running-in period.

If you need to make a warranty claim and the bike has been damaged due to thrashing from cold, they could decide that it is a breach of the warranty. Obviously you're looking at a vast grey area of whether or not the dealer can prove you did the damage and blah blah, but I'd still treat my brand new pride and joy with kid gloves, not least because I just spent a heck of a lot of cash on a new bike!

I used to have a 1999 Daytona 955i and it was a fantastic machine. Just a little on the physically large side for me. Now my mate Anton has it and he loves it just as much as I did. I usually rode off fairly soon after starting the engine, but I was careful to nurse the engine through the warm up phase. It was a bit of a pain to ride when cold but it had a smooth power delivery and a noise that had hints of 'v8' about it.

It was a sweet handler and rock solid around sweeping bends. it had great brakes and was built as well as any Honda I've owned, and certainly better than the Suzukis and Yamaha that I've owned.

Now Anton has it and it is approaching the 40,000 mile mark. It is seven years old and still looks as fresh as the day it rolled out of the factory. I'd say that it wouldn't matter if you mistreated it because it is so over engineered, but I think that would go against my own mechanical sympathy.

I'd also say that you should treat it nicely because I have a bit of a soft spot for 955i's and I'll be upset if you don't!! Smile

Personally, I'd be careful during the running in process, then I'd ride it carefully until its up to temperature, then I'd thrash it.

If you decide to warm it up carefully every time you go out for a ride then I'd understand! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
Quote:
dewPosted: 16:28 - 05 Dec 2006 Post subject:



I sit on my bike, start it and put on earplugs, wear helmet and gloves. It takes about 2 mins and gives time for bike to warm up little bit.
Why sit on bike? Well, some high profile honda engineer told that if you start the bike and let it idle when it's on side stand, only part of engine is getting oil, so try and ensure that it's evenly on ground when you start it. Dont know how much correct the argument is though


Makes sense to me


Not to me, it sound like a load of rubbish. Oil is pumped to all of the load-bearing surfaces, and the pressure is higher when cold. The cams are usually running in a bath of oil.

The engine doesn't care what angle it's at, unless you turn it upside-down etc..
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BorderHooner
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with carbs or injected fueling, nowt to do with bore washing or the time of day.


The idea of warming up an engine presumes to serve one purpose > to protect a cold engine from wear and eventual failure.

yeah yeah, carb freezing etc is affected on carb'd bikes..... that aside and encompassing all engines be they carb'd or injection, petrol - diesel or 2stroke, Multi grade oil protects at varying temperatures and its ability to flow or pour (not it's viscosity!) is what we are concerned with.

The chemical structure of the oils additives allow the pour point or flow of the oil to change as temperature rises or drops, the oil has to protect in extreme temps when the engine and it's components are super heated, they would otherwise seize without a good quality oil due to heat and friction, fatigue and load.

Oil has to protect from cold also, however it is well known that a good multigrade will be able to flow during the crucial squeeze of components - but it will not flow as well as oil in a hot engine. The scientists are not that clever, nothing stops the laws of physics entirely and infinitely.

You should warm all engines up slowly before putting load on moving parts. Even if you use a fully synth with a 0w or 5w rating.

The length of time depends on the type of oil (fully or semi synth) , grade of oil and the condition of oil.

As oil is heated and cooled, again and agin, as blow by chucks emmisions and unspent fuel into the oil mix, it slowly loses it's ability to protect, the chemical structure supporting the multi grade ability is breaking down. So naturally you should warm up an engine a little longer with old lying on its crank.

So there you go, there isnt one answer, there are several - all of which you need to consider to see the big picture.

When oil 'floats' between moving parts it is squezed when under load, thus.....simply - warm multigrade oil protects better than cold multigrade oil.

Will you have a seizure if you zoom away when cold? probably not, but there is a higher chance of an engine low on oil, with poor oil or with wear (high milers) going bang if you dont warm them up.
____________________
Benelli. Happy as a pig in cacky.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark312
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dew, first thing I do is start the engine, then I manoeuvre the bike out of it's resting place, put helmet and gloves on, through the gate, get off to shut the gate behind me. Riding through the estate to the main road takes a minute or two, so in all that time, it seems to have warmed up nicely, before I hit the dual carriageway. Even then, I don't give it full throttle for another few minutes. I have always treated engines gently when cold, after a friend told me not to "screw it when cold" when I got my first bike donkeys years ago, and it seemed to make sense.
____________________
Currently Moto Guzzi 750 Strada, Moto Guzzi V35 Florida, previously Honda CB125T, RD250LC, RD80MX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.02 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 119.38 Kb