Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


1str bike - APACHE 125? Mayby.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rocker_rego
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: 1str bike - APACHE 125? Mayby. Reply with quote

Hey guys I passed my CBT and have been scrawling through ebay lol I am looking for a 125.

I did my CBT on a honda cg125 copy from china called handgau or something, he had had it 3 years and had no problems!

I need to find a cheap bike as I am in college and don't have loads of spare cash.

I like the look AND PRICE of the APACHE 125 (Handa xr copy) I have read in places on the net that honda xr parts can be used on it, is this true?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apache-125cc-Road-Legal-Scrambler-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ130052778528QQihZ003QQcategoryZ424QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

AT £450 I couldn't believe it, nice looking as well!

I looked on some insurance sites but couldn't find any which insured "P.O.R" which could prove a problem.

Any suggestions or any one own one who can say what its like?
____________________
"End"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno mate, my feeling is 'you get what you pay for'.

Note that with these bikes you have to

a) wait till it even arrives in the country

b) assemble some of it yourself, or pay extra for this

c) register it with DVLA = more cost/time/hassle

Personally i'd get a used bike from a known manufacturer, plenty of learner 125's around in decent condition.

Some people have no probs with these chinese copies, others do (poor quality, difficult to get parts, blank looks when you say your bike's name!! Razz )

Loads of honda CG's on ebay, you could get one for 400-500 quid, you can fairly safely assume the handlebars were attached correctly, easy to sell on, honda parts.

As I say, just my take on this, others may disagree. But the points above are worth bearing in mind.

Hope this helps, good luck Thumbs Up

Mudskipper
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:52 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a fairly competent mechanic?

Cos I spotted this in the auction:

Seller wrote:
This bike will be supplied in a crate and will require some minor assembly prior to use. Whilst crated, these bikes are near complete and will only require fitting of the front wheel, handlebars, panels and luggage rack. All assembly details are explained in our step by step guide (written in English), which you will also be provided with. We do however recommend that you have this bike checked over by a professional before riding so that you can be sure you have done everything correctly.

We will also supply you with all the relevant paper work required to register this bike with the DVLA. This includes V267, V55/4 and customs forms. Our registration will guide will also provide you with all the information you need to get your bike on the road.


This means you basically get a jigsaw puzzle that you will have to put together properly then register yourself.

Here's the best bit though. Although it will cost you (about £85 IIRC) to register this bike,

you don't need to get it inspected before you can ride it so basically you need to be pretty confident that you can not only put all the bits together but do it so tha the bike is totally roadworthy and trustworthy.

You can of course get a competent person to build it for you if you want, that's probably 2-3 hours work so maybe £50-£100 depending who you ask.

Still looking like a bargain?

OK, last thing. Ring a couple of insurers and get some quotes. if you're lucky it will apeear on their database and you'll be fine. My guess is that it won't though so you'll have to go direct to an underwriter to assess the risk instead of getting an automatic quote, this is going to take time and may well cost you mor at the end of the day.

Buyer Beware. If something looks too good to be true it's usually cos it is!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cooch69
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a chance on one of these bikes a few weeks ago so thought I would add my bit to this posting.

All in all, I paid £449.99, built it myself in 2 hours (nothing difficult at all) and then registered it for £53. Bingo! Then on the road I went and I have to say, what a fantastic bike for the money.

As far as I can see, the only reason it was so cheap was because I had to wait a few weeks for it to come because quite frankly THIS BIKE IS SUPERB.

So, I have to disagree with the last comment about things that are too good to be true in this case. I think a more accurate phrase would infact be: - "all good things come to those who wait"

Also, anyone trying to find insurance I found the following companies useful.

Rampdale Insurance
Carol Nash
eBike
MCE Insurance

There were others too but these were the cheapest.

All the best!


Last edited by cooch69 on 16:43 - 07 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're happy with it Cooch.

Just out of curiosity, what have you done about the oil?
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aikman666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking about buying something similair to this just for commuting on when i pass my test instead of taking the CBR everywhere, i'll be happy enough to scrap it once ive finished with it really. Really at the money your looking at for buying a brand new bike, even if you do have to scrap it after a few years or only get a few bob back for it selling it on, you probably got your moneys worth out of it.

How are they on insurance?
____________________
Will work for petrol
My Design Blog
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.52 Kb