Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Full test or 125 decisions decisions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Full test or 125 decisions decisions Reply with quote

Once my bike has gone im undecided if I should go for my full bike test and go without a bike for a few months (I wont ride much in winter anyway)
Or stick it out and get another 125 Sports bike.
Ive only been riding geared bikes for around 2-3 months now is this long enough or would you reccomend more riding before the test?
I worked out its around 500-600 for the lessons + test.
If I fail the test, would I need to pay another 500+ to do it all again or just 65 quid roughly?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the test and wait. If you shop around then you can probly get the price of the test down.

CBT - £80 - £120
Theory - £21.50 or £25 if training school book it
lessons - £100 a day roughly?
Bike hire - £15 a day maybe?
Test about £50 - £60?
____________________
- Typhoon ?0 - Yamaha DT125R - Aprilia SR125 - Yamaha DT125R - Honda Hornet 600 -
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS Thumbs Up

It will be slightly more for a retest as its test fee plue hire of motorcycle. I paid £90 for my retest, yet others have said that they had to pay in excess of £200 Shocked

Once you a straddle a big, fat throbbing one, you wont look back Wink Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DanStw0
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think about failing Wink Keep positive Smile

However if you do, you would more than likely just after to pay the exam fee and the bike hire of the school you are with.

Depending on which school you go with some guarntee a pass within reason

If it was I would go for the full licence funds permitting.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DAS was £480 for a 5 day course including bike hire and test fee.

Was also guaranteed so if you failed you only had to pay the test fee back.

Cheers,

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my CBT in Nov' 04 then took the full test on about June the following year.

Think it was about £600. That included two full days training on the bike and morning before the test. Also included bike hire. Place where I went would'nt charge you anymore if you failed for more training. Think if you did fail then you'd have to pay the test fee again. As my instructor said, think of the money your losing if you fail then its a good motivator for passing Razz

I'd probably recommend the full licence exam thingy if you can afford it. Gives you more options for your next bike if you want one more powerful and not restricted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was you then I would wait until the spring time before thinking about doing your bike test. This time of year isn't that nice for riding about in at the best of times, so trying to learn how to ride correctly (the way you should in order to pass), and to concentrate fully on your riding skills must be even harder in the crap winter weather.
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mellowmoose
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 31 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 09 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is currently one of my dillemas.

Does anyone know of any good training centres in London where they offer free training/refund if you fail the test.

Otherwise, its down the restricted route for me Sad

My current plan is to take the restricted test on my Yamaha xvs 125 and then to get a restricted 600cc and take the full test on that. A bit long winded I know but its affordable Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 09 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowmoose wrote:
Does anyone know of any good training centres in London where they offer free training/refund if you fail the test.

My current plan is to take the restricted test on my Yamaha xvs 125 and then to get a restricted 600cc and take the full test on that. A bit long winded I know but its affordable Smile


Normally they only offer free training if you fail the first time so you still have to stump up the test fee and maybe the bike hire if you use theirs. It sounds better than it is this free training lark if you fail, but the key is not to fail in the first place.

The other bit of your plan about doing the restricted test and then the full test seems a bit long winded to me. Why bother going through it twice when you don't have to? And as for changing your bike and doing a full licence after the restricted one, sounds like a quite expensive plan anyway.
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:26 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the test is supposedly getting harder this year, does anyone know when?

My 20th is in March (I know, I've left it ages, but I'm a student, and in the first year beer came first...) and I could probably get my mum and dad to help me out paying for the DAS (I think that's what I have to take, the A2 thing anyway) training and test for that, but I'd rather get it done before it gets ridiculously hard.

Also, I'll have had my car license for nearly 3 years by then, does this still negate the need for a CBT?

Thanks...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DanStw0
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave McCool wrote:
I've heard that the test is supposedly getting harder this year, does anyone know when?


You should be okay the new regulations are coming in, in 2008 I believe..

Most details of what is going to happen can be seen here - https://www.riverviewrtbolton.com/2008%20Test.htm

Not ideal but I am doing my DAS in January to get it out the way so I can have a bike for the summer... I bet it gets busy next year though with everyone trying to pass there test before the new regs come in
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate, that's handy to know.

You're probably right, it will be very busy next year, but I need some time to save, and I don't particularly fancy doing the test in January, so March will have to do...

D'you reckon the waiting list will be huge by then?

How long did people have to wait between booking and actually taking their tests?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it asap as the test is soon to become much more complex and probably more expensive...
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look more complicated, but again, does seem to be coming in to place in late 2008, so I reckon I'll be O.K, in fact, I'll be 21 by then, so I should even be able to sort out the accelerated access test before it gets too complicated.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.75 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 81.03 Kb