|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:41 - 02 Aug 2003 Post subject: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
If anyone on the board can speak french well, would they mind (roughly) translating [this] page for me? Its to do with de-restricting french NSR125's. I've already tried running it through google & altavista's translators but it still makes no sense really!
Thanks alot!!
Lee |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:01 - 02 Aug 2003 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do I smell or is it just that no one speaks french?! lol
/me awaits the posts saying 'you smell'  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| zaknafien |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 zaknafien

Joined: 25 Mar 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| irdawood |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 irdawood Banned

Joined: 19 Apr 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TiN |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TiN Pocket Tin

Joined: 14 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:06 - 03 Aug 2003 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
There looks to be 2 exhaust restrictors. One in the normal position, the other in the thin section up to the silencer.
There is the blockage just before the reed block ("a boite à clapets" = box of valves = reed block)
There is also a cdi mod. This involves cutting a hole in the CDI unit and cutting a wire.
Don't know how effective all this is though. Seems he is still only getting 140kmh (87mph)
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| adie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 adie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 03 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:55 - 04 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| Lee wrote: | If anyone on the board can speak french well, would they mind (roughly) translating [ this] page for me? Its to do with de-restricting french NSR125's. I've already tried running it through google & altavista's translators but it still makes no sense really!
Thanks alot!!
Lee |
Hello mate. You recently sent me attached details on de-estricting a french nsr. I,ve just about mastered the English language, but from the pictures of the cdi unit, it would appear that you expose the two pins by the block connectors and solder them together. What this does I don't know. Looking at my cdi reveals that it has a 4 pin block, below which is a separate 2 pin block(ie not side by side like the pic). Above the 4 pin is a green wire with white tracer coming straight out of the cdi. All in all completely different to the one shown on the french site. As far as your exhaust is concerned, unless u have the kit u will need to take it somewhere to be de restricted and welded back together. U r probably looking at 60 quid for this. Give Nikon exhausts a ring. Their details are on the internet with pics. All exhausts are hand made. They r not as pretty as Arrow or gianelli etc , but mine cost 162 including delivery. Cheapest race exhaust I could find. You will need to re jet your carb up 3-5 sizes. Jets are about 2.50 each. Take the large brass bolt out of the base of ur carb and sitting in the top of it is the main jet. Remember to burn all fuel off before removing carb otherwise petrol floods everywhere. Let me know the configuration of your cdi connectors. R they the same as the one on the french site or like mine? Also wot year is ur bike? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:00 - 04 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| adie wrote: |
 Hello mate. You recently sent me attached details on de-estricting a french nsr. I,ve just about mastered the English language, but from the pictures of the cdi unit, it would appear that you expose the two pins by the block connectors and solder them together. What this does I don't know. Looking at my cdi reveals that it has a 4 pin block, below which is a separate 2 pin block(ie not side by side like the pic). Above the 4 pin is a green wire with white tracer coming straight out of the cdi. All in all completely different to the one shown on the french site. As far as your exhaust is concerned, unless u have the kit u will need to take it somewhere to be de restricted and welded back together. U r probably looking at 60 quid for this. Give Nikon exhausts a ring. Their details are on the internet with pics. All exhausts are hand made. They r not as pretty as Arrow or gianelli etc , but mine cost 162 including delivery. Cheapest race exhaust I could find. You will need to re jet your carb up 3-5 sizes. Jets are about 2.50 each. Take the large brass bolt out of the base of ur carb and sitting in the top of it is the main jet. Remember to burn all fuel off before removing carb otherwise petrol floods everywhere. Let me know the configuration of your cdi connectors. R they the same as the one on the french site or like mine? Also wot year is ur bike? |
Hi mate,
First off, my bike is a '51 reg NSR. I'll have a look for my CDI unit today.......where the hell is it? lol!
According to that french site, when you have removed all other restrictions (exhaust, manifold etc etc) it is necessary to dig a little hole 5-7mm to the left of the 4-plug connector on the CDI unit and break the join between those 2 points. I'm not very good at french, but as far as I can work out it says: ''removing this will give more power at 7000rpm+ once all other points of restriction are removed.''
Also mate can you tell me what size jets you used on your bike? and the size of the ones you had originally?? So far i've checked for just about every restriction i've ever heard of, and the only ones I can find is the exhaust ring, and possibly carb jets.
Cheers,
Lee |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| McJamweasel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 McJamweasel BCF Junkie

Joined: 22 Mar 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TiN |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TiN Pocket Tin

Joined: 14 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:21 - 04 Aug 2003 Post subject: |
 |
|
And surely he means re-weld? I can't imagine soldering an exhaust back together. ____________________ TiN
dotgems.net |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| McJamweasel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 McJamweasel BCF Junkie

Joined: 22 Mar 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:03 - 04 Aug 2003 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| adie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 adie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 03 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:45 - 05 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| Lee wrote: | | adie wrote: |
 Hello mate. You recently sent me attached details on de-estricting a french nsr. I,ve just about mastered the English language, but from the pictures of the cdi unit, it would appear that you expose the two pins by the block connectors and solder them together. What this does I don't know. Looking at my cdi reveals that it has a 4 pin block, below which is a separate 2 pin block(ie not side by side like the pic). Above the 4 pin is a green wire with white tracer coming straight out of the cdi. All in all completely different to the one shown on the french site. As far as your exhaust is concerned, unless u have the kit u will need to take it somewhere to be de restricted and welded back together. U r probably looking at 60 quid for this. Give Nikon exhausts a ring. Their details are on the internet with pics. All exhausts are hand made. They r not as pretty as Arrow or gianelli etc , but mine cost 162 including delivery. Cheapest race exhaust I could find. You will need to re jet your carb up 3-5 sizes. Jets are about 2.50 each. Take the large brass bolt out of the base of ur carb and sitting in the top of it is the main jet. Remember to burn all fuel off before removing carb otherwise petrol floods everywhere. Let me know the configuration of your cdi connectors. R they the same as the one on the french site or like mine? Also wot year is ur bike? |
Hi mate,
First off, my bike is a '51 reg NSR. I'll have a look for my CDI unit today.......where the hell is it? lol!
According to that french site, when you have removed all other restrictions (exhaust, manifold etc etc) it is necessary to dig a little hole 5-7mm to the left of the 4-plug connector on the CDI unit and break the join between those 2 points. I'm not very good at french, but as far as I can work out it says: ''removing this will give more power at 7000rpm+ once all other points of restriction are removed.''
Also mate can you tell me what size jets you used on your bike? and the size of the ones you had originally?? So far i've checked for just about every restriction i've ever heard of, and the only ones I can find is the exhaust ring, and possibly carb jets.
Cheers,
Lee |
Right, firstly your cdi unit is under the seat at the rear. It is just under a silver metal cross member that the seat locking pin goes into. My bike is a Y reg 2001 model so is gonna be the same set up as yours no doubt. Remember that the pic u refered to showing the french cdi was different to my cdi and therefore likely to be different to yours. (might b off older model?).I was going to have a go at digging a hole in it, but due to the different pin configuration I assume that the two pins i needed to find may be in a different location and I dont want to risk shagging the cdi unit altogether. A new ones approx 130 from honda. My local dealer let me have a look at the parts system. Basically the Italian and brit/ other euro bikes r all the same. The only one that is different is the bleeding Fench one. It has different cdi, wiring harness, powervalve and exhaust. Why I dont know but the french are picky with their restrictions unlike their manners. A guy I know was a bit upset when his brand new fireblade wouldnt keep up with another lads from work. Guess wot--French import and runs lower bhp. I'm positive that the two pins on the cdi unit are to be soldered together. My reasons for this are that if u follow the pics in order, one shows two clean pins, the second with a dirty great blob of solder between the two. Its unlikely that hondas robot arms that no doubt solder these things got sloppy one day. If ur CDI is same as mine leave well alone u may regret it or get a pro to sort. I got second hand cdi from italian spec bike from salvage that fit mine. Slightly better acceleration 2mph extra top end but the box stopped working. Probably something to do with all the other electrics being different. I'd just change ur air filter to k&n or S&B and get hold of nikon exhaust like mine. Dont have to piss about with cutting and welding thatll cost 60 quid or so. U can put this towards the proper race exhaust. 2 stroke exhausts work on pulses and the standard french one is pants and weighs about 10kgs. The nikon is 2 Kgs and dosent look like something hanging out the side of a pirate ship(u will have to put ur original on for mot and watch out for eager traffic cops). Your main jet will be a 132 if same as my bike. Honda state that it should be a 135 due to different sea levels. Anyway with the exhaust and air filter i rejetted mine up to a 142. Do this and do a plug chop. Ie take bike for bit of a ride race it for a short distance through gears and than stick in 3rd for a bit at about 8-9000 revs , cut the power with the cut off switch, pull in clutch and immediately remove plug. The central ceramic and electrode should b a rich tea colour and outside of plug will be black. If electrode etc sightly darker dont worry. Better too rich than too lean. If very pale go up a size. Also ur bike will be running a br9es plug use a br10es its a cooler plug and will cope better with heat. Always rejet with different exaust/airfilter cos its getting more air and therefore needs to be balanced with more fuel. If u are sufficiently bored here endeth the lecture. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:39 - 05 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| adie wrote: | Right, firstly your cdi unit is under the seat at the rear. It is just under a silver metal cross member that the seat locking pin goes into. My bike is a Y reg 2001 model so is gonna be the same set up as yours no doubt. Remember that the pic u refered to showing the french cdi was different to my cdi and therefore likely to be different to yours. (might b off older model?).I was going to have a go at digging a hole in it, but due to the different pin configuration I assume that the two pins i needed to find may be in a different location and I dont want to risk shagging the cdi unit altogether. A new ones approx 130 from honda. My local dealer let me have a look at the parts system. Basically the Italian and brit/ other euro bikes r all the same. The only one that is different is the bleeding Fench one. It has different cdi, wiring harness, powervalve and exhaust. Why I dont know but the french are picky with their restrictions unlike their manners. A guy I know was a bit upset when his brand new fireblade wouldnt keep up with another lads from work. Guess wot--French import and runs lower bhp. I'm positive that the two pins on the cdi unit are to be soldered together. My reasons for this are that if u follow the pics in order, one shows two clean pins, the second with a dirty great blob of solder between the two. Its unlikely that hondas robot arms that no doubt solder these things got sloppy one day. If ur CDI is same as mine leave well alone u may regret it or get a pro to sort. I got second hand cdi from italian spec bike from salvage that fit mine. Slightly better acceleration 2mph extra top end but the box stopped working. Probably something to do with all the other electrics being different. I'd just change ur air filter to k&n or S&B and get hold of nikon exhaust like mine. Dont have to piss about with cutting and welding thatll cost 60 quid or so. U can put this towards the proper race exhaust. 2 stroke exhausts work on pulses and the standard french one is pants and weighs about 10kgs. The nikon is 2 Kgs and dosent look like something hanging out the side of a pirate ship(u will have to put ur original on for mot and watch out for eager traffic cops). Your main jet will be a 132 if same as my bike. Honda state that it should be a 135 due to different sea levels. Anyway with the exhaust and air filter i rejetted mine up to a 142. Do this and do a plug chop. Ie take bike for bit of a ride race it for a short distance through gears and than stick in 3rd for a bit at about 8-9000 revs , cut the power with the cut off switch, pull in clutch and immediately remove plug. The central ceramic and electrode should b a rich tea colour and outside of plug will be black. If electrode etc sightly darker dont worry. Better too rich than too lean. If very pale go up a size. Also ur bike will be running a br9es plug use a br10es its a cooler plug and will cope better with heat. Always rejet with different exaust/airfilter cos its getting more air and therefore needs to be balanced with more fuel. If u are sufficiently bored here endeth the lecture. |
Wow that must have taken you ages to write
Anyway, did a bit of fumbling around yesterday with the CDI unit and it definatlely is a 'CI 639' which apparently are the restricted units.
I've spoke to so many people and heard so many different things about the french models
For the min, i'm just gonna get the exhaust chopped and the ring removed, and see if it makes a difference. This wont cost me a penny, cause I can get my old man to do it for me at work.
Buying a sports exhaust and filter would be fine if I knew it would fully de-restrict it, but to go out and spend the best part of £250 on something which will gain me 12.5mph hardly seems worth it (you said you get 140kmh at the min, and I'm getting 120 fully restricted).
Fuck.......another dead end
I wish I spoke french well so that I could just ring up Honda France and ask them what the fuck they were smoking when they designed the french variant of the NSR  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| adie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 adie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 03 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:06 - 06 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| Lee wrote: | | adie wrote: | Right, firstly your cdi unit is under the seat at the rear. It is just under a silver metal cross member that the seat locking pin goes into. My bike is a Y reg 2001 model so is gonna be the same set up as yours no doubt. Remember that the pic u refered to showing the french cdi was different to my cdi and therefore likely to be different to yours. (might b off older model?).I was going to have a go at digging a hole in it, but due to the different pin configuration I assume that the two pins i needed to find may be in a different location and I dont want to risk shagging the cdi unit altogether. A new ones approx 130 from honda. My local dealer let me have a look at the parts system. Basically the Italian and brit/ other euro bikes r all the same. The only one that is different is the bleeding Fench one. It has different cdi, wiring harness, powervalve and exhaust. Why I dont know but the french are picky with their restrictions unlike their manners. A guy I know was a bit upset when his brand new fireblade wouldnt keep up with another lads from work. Guess wot--French import and runs lower bhp. I'm positive that the two pins on the cdi unit are to be soldered together. My reasons for this are that if u follow the pics in order, one shows two clean pins, the second with a dirty great blob of solder between the two. Its unlikely that hondas robot arms that no doubt solder these things got sloppy one day. If ur CDI is same as mine leave well alone u may regret it or get a pro to sort. I got second hand cdi from italian spec bike from salvage that fit mine. Slightly better acceleration 2mph extra top end but the box stopped working. Probably something to do with all the other electrics being different. I'd just change ur air filter to k&n or S&B and get hold of nikon exhaust like mine. Dont have to piss about with cutting and welding thatll cost 60 quid or so. U can put this towards the proper race exhaust. 2 stroke exhausts work on pulses and the standard french one is pants and weighs about 10kgs. The nikon is 2 Kgs and dosent look like something hanging out the side of a pirate ship(u will have to put ur original on for mot and watch out for eager traffic cops). Your main jet will be a 132 if same as my bike. Honda state that it should be a 135 due to different sea levels. Anyway with the exhaust and air filter i rejetted mine up to a 142. Do this and do a plug chop. Ie take bike for bit of a ride race it for a short distance through gears and than stick in 3rd for a bit at about 8-9000 revs , cut the power with the cut off switch, pull in clutch and immediately remove plug. The central ceramic and electrode should b a rich tea colour and outside of plug will be black. If electrode etc sightly darker dont worry. Better too rich than too lean. If very pale go up a size. Also ur bike will be running a br9es plug use a br10es its a cooler plug and will cope better with heat. Always rejet with different exaust/airfilter cos its getting more air and therefore needs to be balanced with more fuel. If u are sufficiently bored here endeth the lecture. |
Wow that must have taken you ages to write
Anyway, did a bit of fumbling around yesterday with the CDI unit and it definatlely is a 'CI 639' which apparently are the restricted units.
I've spoke to so many people and heard so many different things about the french models
For the min, i'm just gonna get the exhaust chopped and the ring removed, and see if it makes a difference. This wont cost me a penny, cause I can get my old man to do it for me at work.
Buying a sports exhaust and filter would be fine if I knew it would fully de-restrict it, but to go out and spend the best part of £250 on something which will gain me 12.5mph hardly seems worth it (you said you get 140kmh at the min, and I'm getting 120 fully restricted).
Fuck.......another dead end
I wish I spoke french well so that I could just ring up Honda France and ask them what the fuck they were smoking when they designed the french variant of the NSR  |
Honda will not tell u anything. It is their policy not to assist in derestricting bikes. Anyway for 173 i got my exhaust and filter. Yes it ony took me from around 70 to 85 top end, but its all about how fast u get there. If your frog machine is anything like mine I had to give it two days notice before it would get to 60. Now once i hit 8000revs and keep it above that it flys. I weigh anything between 15 and 17 stone as I do a bit of the old bodybuilding, however even with my weight I bet my bike in its current form would fly past urs. I'm not getting a big head just trying to get the point across that ur acceleration will increase massively with a pipe and filter. U should get a good increase just by doing ur current pipe. Remember to check ur jet. It should be 135 but is more than likely a 132. When you open up your exhaust ur gonna burn hotter so change that plug to a br10es. Let me know what ur bike does and how much u weigh. Sounds a bit gay but if ur only 10 stone and hitting 95 I wont feel so dissapointed about the performance of my bike!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:45 - 06 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| adie wrote: | Honda will not tell u anything. It is their policy not to assist in derestricting bikes. Anyway for 173 i got my exhaust and filter. Yes it ony took me from around 70 to 85 top end, but its all about how fast u get there. If your frog machine is anything like mine I had to give it two days notice before it would get to 60. Now once i hit 8000revs and keep it above that it flys. I weigh anything between 15 and 17 stone as I do a bit of the old bodybuilding, however even with my weight I bet my bike in its current form would fly past urs. I'm not getting a big head just trying to get the point across that ur acceleration will increase massively with a pipe and filter. U should get a good increase just by doing ur current pipe. Remember to check ur jet. It should be 135 but is more than likely a 132. When you open up your exhaust ur gonna burn hotter so change that plug to a br10es. Let me know what ur bike does and how much u weigh. Sounds a bit gay but if ur only 10 stone and hitting 95 I wont feel so dissapointed about the performance of my bike!! |
I can see why you bought the exhaust, especially if you were only hitting 70mph.... As my bike is (i haven't de-restricted anything) it hits 120km/h (think thats just a notch under 80mph), and once it hits about 7500rpm it does take off fairly quickly, but then slowly backs off between 9500-11000 (this must be the exhaust or powervalve?!). By the way before I carry on chatting crap , I weigh 14.5 stone (beer......)
I'm hopefully getting my exhaust de-restricted on friday, and i'll let you know what difference this makes. I will need to change the jet, could you tell me how I check what the current jet is? (maybe i'm being dumb here, and there is a big neon logo saying 'its 132 YOU TOOL' or something ).....and also where to get a new one from?
I've now been told, hmm let me quote 'categorically' that these are the only restrictions honda have ever put on the french NSR125s.........
(note there might only be 1 or 2, but here is a list of them all *apparently*)
1. Ring in the exhaust (i have this)
2. Inlet manifold restrictor (i dont have this!)
3. Carb jets (probably)
4. Power Valve not opening fully (have not checked)
5. Restricted CDI unit - number CI639 (i have one of these )
6. Throttle slide bung or washers (nope, checked)
7. Something about a carb needle or something?! he didn't seem to clear on this one either... (maybe?!)
8. Partially blocked airbox intake (looks ok to me!)
9. Smaller 'pinion?' (eh?)
(by the way it was my local dealer who found this out for me, Coburn and Hughes)
Have you checked for these on your bike? If so can you let me know what you had and didnt have? Especially the power valve...
Maybe between the two of us we can finally crack this sodding french import thing!!!
Cheers mate!
Lee |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| adie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 adie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 03 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:33 - 08 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| Lee wrote: | | adie wrote: | Honda will not tell u anything. It is their policy not to assist in derestricting bikes. Anyway for 173 i got my exhaust and filter. Yes it ony took me from around 70 to 85 top end, but its all about how fast u get there. If your frog machine is anything like mine I had to give it two days notice before it would get to 60. Now once i hit 8000revs and keep it above that it flys. I weigh anything between 15 and 17 stone as I do a bit of the old bodybuilding, however even with my weight I bet my bike in its current form would fly past urs. I'm not getting a big head just trying to get the point across that ur acceleration will increase massively with a pipe and filter. U should get a good increase just by doing ur current pipe. Remember to check ur jet. It should be 135 but is more than likely a 132. When you open up your exhaust ur gonna burn hotter so change that plug to a br10es. Let me know what ur bike does and how much u weigh. Sounds a bit gay but if ur only 10 stone and hitting 95 I wont feel so dissapointed about the performance of my bike!! |
I can see why you bought the exhaust, especially if you were only hitting 70mph.... As my bike is (i haven't de-restricted anything) it hits 120km/h (think thats just a notch under 80mph), and once it hits about 7500rpm it does take off fairly quickly, but then slowly backs off between 9500-11000 (this must be the exhaust or powervalve?!). By the way before I carry on chatting crap , I weigh 14.5 stone (beer......)
I'm hopefully getting my exhaust de-restricted on friday, and i'll let you know what difference this makes. I will need to change the jet, could you tell me how I check what the current jet is? (maybe i'm being dumb here, and there is a big neon logo saying 'its 132 YOU TOOL' or something ).....and also where to get a new one from?
I've now been told, hmm let me quote 'categorically' that these are the only restrictions honda have ever put on the french NSR125s.........
(note there might only be 1 or 2, but here is a list of them all *apparently*)
1. Ring in the exhaust (i have this)
2. Inlet manifold restrictor (i dont have this!)
3. Carb jets (probably)
4. Power Valve not opening fully (have not checked)
5. Restricted CDI unit - number CI639 (i have one of these )
6. Throttle slide bung or washers (nope, checked)
7. Something about a carb needle or something?! he didn't seem to clear on this one either... (maybe?!)
8. Partially blocked airbox intake (looks ok to me!)
9. Smaller 'pinion?' (eh?)
(by the way it was my local dealer who found this out for me, Coburn and Hughes)
Have you checked for these on your bike? If so can you let me know what you had and didnt have? Especially the power valve...
Maybe between the two of us we can finally crack this sodding french import thing!!!
Cheers mate!
Lee |
Havent checked my powervalve type. All I know is that according to honda its different to the other euro bikes. Cant be arsed to change this cos too expensive and I have no doubt that i will have to change something else as well and so on. Honda told me that i could change my needle and the part costs 28 quid or so. This is unlikely to make a massive difference, so again I cant be arsed. One of my earlier novels, er i mean e-mails describes how you change the main jet at the base of the carb which is in the top of a brass bolt. Need a 14mm spanner to undo bolt and flat head screwdriver to change jet. Havent got the details for where i got the jets anymore. Ur carb will be a dellorto. Put dellorto on the internet and thay will sort u out. Main jets come with different size threads so make sure u give details of ur bike. I have had my powervalve checked and it is opening properly but as said is different to other nsrs. Dont know what a pinion is. Sounds like a baby onion. I have no throttle slide restrictor so i'm now leaving bike well alone. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lee Trackday Trickster
Joined: 02 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:07 - 09 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| adie wrote: | Havent checked my powervalve type. All I know is that according to honda its different to the other euro bikes. Cant be arsed to change this cos too expensive and I have no doubt that i will have to change something else as well and so on. Honda told me that i could change my needle and the part costs 28 quid or so. This is unlikely to make a massive difference, so again I cant be arsed. One of my earlier novels, er i mean e-mails describes how you change the main jet at the base of the carb which is in the top of a brass bolt. Need a 14mm spanner to undo bolt and flat head screwdriver to change jet. Havent got the details for where i got the jets anymore. Ur carb will be a dellorto. Put dellorto on the internet and thay will sort u out. Main jets come with different size threads so make sure u give details of ur bike. I have had my powervalve checked and it is opening properly but as said is different to other nsrs. Dont know what a pinion is. Sounds like a baby onion. I have no throttle slide restrictor so i'm now leaving bike well alone. |
I opened her up and had a look at the powervalve servo today. At idle the servo points to 'hi', when above about 2500 rpm it switched to 'lo' and then from just over 7000rpm onwards it opens gradually towards 'hi' again until fully open. So I take it that everything is ok there (anybody know if this sounds right?), but I will have to remove the fairings and radiator etc to have a proper look at the actual valve itself.
I was going to take my bike down to my dad's work today for them to cut the ring out of the exhaust for me, but they didn't have enough time to do it. Phoned the place where I bought it and argued until they agreed to remove the exhaust ring for free So it is booked in for next thursday (14th). After which I will change the carburetor jets to 135's or bigger depending on what they (and other kind people on here) reccomend. I don't see any point in changing them before the ring is removed or it'll probably just run badly.
As for the 'pinion', the guy was actually referring to the front sprocket. Aparently, the 'proper' size sprocket is a 14 tooth one, whereas the UK NSR's are fitted with 13 tooth and the french are fitted with 12!!!!!! No wonder we can't hit a decent top speed if we have those! So if you feel like it, change the front sprocket to a 13 or 14 tooth one and see how fast you can hit. The mechanic says that with a 14-tooth sprocket you should be able to hit 170km/h (I think thats about 105mph) when fully de-restricted, or 155-160kmh with a 13-tooth sprocket.
He sounded pretty confident that if I de-restrict the exhaust and fit a 14 tooth sprocket I should be hitting 170km/h (105mph), and that he could not see any other restrictions on my bike, apart from the possible CDI unit, but he was unsure of exactly what the differences in the CDI's is. He said, and I quote 'if the CDI was restricted, then usually it just stops the powervalve operating properly, but it all seems to be working ok on your bike, so you shouldn't need to change the CDI - unless you have a mate with a UK/Italian spec one where you can stick it in your bike for 10 mins and see if it makes any difference'. I agree with what he says, I don't really wanna fork out loads of cash for a CDI unit which makes no difference or dies after a little while due to the wiring harness differences.
By the way, what sort of 0-60 times are you getting? If you are getting there really quick, like 5 seconds or something, then it seems like you are already fully de-restricted and just need to fit a bigger sprocket.
Looks like we're making good progress here!!!
Cheers for you're help and everything, keep this thread alive until we're confident we're both fully de-restricted!!
Lee |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| adie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 adie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 03 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:06 - 09 Aug 2003 Post subject: Re: Anyone speak french well?? |
 |
|
| Lee wrote: | | adie wrote: | Havent checked my powervalve type. All I know is that according to honda its different to the other euro bikes. Cant be arsed to change this cos too expensive and I have no doubt that i will have to change something else as well and so on. Honda told me that i could change my needle and the part costs 28 quid or so. This is unlikely to make a massive difference, so again I cant be arsed. One of my earlier novels, er i mean e-mails describes how you change the main jet at the base of the carb which is in the top of a brass bolt. Need a 14mm spanner to undo bolt and flat head screwdriver to change jet. Havent got the details for where i got the jets anymore. Ur carb will be a dellorto. Put dellorto on the internet and thay will sort u out. Main jets come with different size threads so make sure u give details of ur bike. I have had my powervalve checked and it is opening properly but as said is different to other nsrs. Dont know what a pinion is. Sounds like a baby onion. I have no throttle slide restrictor so i'm now leaving bike well alone. |
I opened her up and had a look at the powervalve servo today. At idle the servo points to 'hi', when above about 2500 rpm it switched to 'lo' and then from just over 7000rpm onwards it opens gradually towards 'hi' again until fully open. So I take it that everything is ok there (anybody know if this sounds right?), but I will have to remove the fairings and radiator etc to have a proper look at the actual valve itself.
I was going to take my bike down to my dad's work today for them to cut the ring out of the exhaust for me, but they didn't have enough time to do it. Phoned the place where I bought it and argued until they agreed to remove the exhaust ring for free So it is booked in for next thursday (14th). After which I will change the carburetor jets to 135's or bigger depending on what they (and other kind people on here) reccomend. I don't see any point in changing them before the ring is removed or it'll probably just run badly.
As for the 'pinion', the guy was actually referring to the front sprocket. Aparently, the 'proper' size sprocket is a 14 tooth one, whereas the UK NSR's are fitted with 13 tooth and the french are fitted with 12!!!!!! No wonder we can't hit a decent top speed if we have those! So if you feel like it, change the front sprocket to a 13 or 14 tooth one and see how fast you can hit. The mechanic says that with a 14-tooth sprocket you should be able to hit 170km/h (I think thats about 105mph) when fully de-restricted, or 155-160kmh with a 13-tooth sprocket.
He sounded pretty confident that if I de-restrict the exhaust and fit a 14 tooth sprocket I should be hitting 170km/h (105mph), and that he could not see any other restrictions on my bike, apart from the possible CDI unit, but he was unsure of exactly what the differences in the CDI's is. He said, and I quote 'if the CDI was restricted, then usually it just stops the powervalve operating properly, but it all seems to be working ok on your bike, so you shouldn't need to change the CDI - unless you have a mate with a UK/Italian spec one where you can stick it in your bike for 10 mins and see if it makes any difference'. I agree with what he says, I don't really wanna fork out loads of cash for a CDI unit which makes no difference or dies after a little while due to the wiring harness differences.
By the way, what sort of 0-60 times are you getting? If you are getting there really quick, like 5 seconds or something, then it seems like you are already fully de-restricted and just need to fit a bigger sprocket.
Looks like we're making good progress here!!!
Cheers for you're help and everything, keep this thread alive until we're confident we're both fully de-restricted!!
Lee |
Spoke to a mechanic the other day about sprockets. He says that if you put a smaller sprocket on u will get better acceleration, but may reduce top end and vice versa. I'm leaving the sprockets untill I need a new chain etc, but the fact the front one may be only 12 tooth is interesting I reckon my bike is hitting 60 in around 6 or so seconds as long as I thrash it. Don't rejet until you have done a plug chop after de restriction , but have a look at wot u r running. If main jet is a 132 it definately needs to be a 135 and once you have fitted that and sorted exhaust do a plug chop and c if the central electrode is a rich tea colour. Remember, too pale = too lean and too dark = too rich. Remember wot happened to my Italian cdi. Fried after 10 mins so ur mates wont thank u. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 23 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|