Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Blue Light Training?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Edicap
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Blue Light Training? Reply with quote

Has anyone on the board done any blue light training? (Fire, Police, Ambulance)

I'm looking for some info on what the training package contains and in particular, the training ambulance drivers receive.

Cheers Smile
____________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece, but to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!!!

Honda CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for a job as a trainee ambulance technician a while ago.

I know that the driving course is the same as the police advanced driving course... but beyond that I'm a little hazy. It was a while ago and I decided not to proceed after selection.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the first rung of that particular ladder. So I'm not entirely clued up about that yet.

I seem to recall, you have to be able to talk your way through your drive as you're doing it. So you need to describe what is happening on the road, hazards and conditions etc.

It's a long winded process. I have a copy of the book handed to ambulance drivers.

THere isnt an ISBN number or anything... They also recommend getting your hands on the DVD or book 'Road Craft'... That helps a lot.

Are you considering joining an ambulance service?
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, bear in mind the course (at least for the Ambulance service) is 3 weeks "Residential".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND it's changing soon.

'Blue light' drivers will need to pass an exam to gain another category on their driving licence.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partner did blue light training. Consisted of 2 weeks at TC, driving unmarked cars at around 100+ Shocked
She didnt enjoy it to be honest.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ambulance drivers have to pass their class 2 licence?

(not sure though) Confused
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Edicap
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite join the ambulance service but I would like to do that when I leave the forces. I'm about to join a First Response team. I'll be trained in trauma care, advanced life support (ALS) and to drive on blue lights and sirens all to Ambulance standard. All volunteer work but quite rewarding at the same time.

Heres a link to a similar team but at a different base. Theres quite a bit of interesting info.

https://www.rafmarham.co.uk/relations/charities/first-response/first-response1.htm

The cars we use...

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/martin4356/amb-carx.jpg

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/martin4356/car-kit.jpg

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/martin4356/gcd-154fam04-310x.jpg
____________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece, but to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!!!

Honda CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambulance staff are trained to Police standard driving standard.

Most police forces have 3 levels, basic meaning they can drive pandas, no speeding or red lights and can use the blue lights to stop cars. This just takes a driving assesment.
Standard with response which means you can use your exepmtions, speed, red lights and keep left bollards/signs. You can use the blue lights to go to jobs fast. This is a 3 week course.
Advanced is a 4-5 week course and would enable you to drive traffic cars. It's a lot higher standard than required in the standard course.
You can also do a persuit course so you can chase stuff.

Where do voulenters get the power in law for the exemptions?

SP1
____________________
I rode the Nurburgring backwards.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Edicap
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where do voulenters get the power in law for the exemptions?

I dont understand the question? Smile
____________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece, but to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!!!

Honda CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me dad is a Cat A Police Driver. It involved Running comentry of the driving, Reaching Target Speeds in Country lanes and stuf like that. Took a few weeks I think. Cant remember, It was a couple of years back.


All I know is he really enjoyed it. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTR SP1 wrote:


Where do voulenters get the power in law for the exemptions?

SP1


I'm a volunteer with St John Ambulance. 2 weeks ago I started my first stage in the driving assessment. Basically it was a written exam with an eye test.

Next up, you're taken out with an instructor to help you get a feel for the vehicle, handling, driving practice etc. This is all pretty basic stuff.

Oonceyou're ready, you go for a two day assessment. Pass this and you can drive vechicles around but cannot carry patients etc.

If you then take the next category (two I think) you can drive patients around, but only as patient transport.

You need IAM and police training to Category 1 to drive on blies, or other 'performance' vehicles (fast response etc).

I have a long way to go! Sad
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 3 week course which involved 2 weeks unmarked cars/vans/4x4's and then 1 week marked car/van, an absolute eye opener to see how MOP's react to a blue light and a siren. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
Don't ambulance drivers have to pass their class 2 licence?


No, but you DO need to have cat's C (Big Vans) and D (Big Minibusses) on your license. The motors we use in East Of England (East Anglia) are Merc' Sprinter 416's (There is a pic of one in Edicaps post) and at the present time they tip the scales at just a "Gnats" under 4 tons (Fully Kitted kerbside weight). The new generation ones that are to appear sometime this year will be on the slightly bigger 5 ton chassis. With them having to increase the size to approx an extra 2ft longer, to accomodate all the new kit that will be carried... How long will it be before we need an HGV license? The London Ambulance service already operate a couple 8 Ton motors, for these of course you will.


VTR SP1 wrote:
Standard with response which means you can use your exepmtions, speed, red lights and keep left bollards/signs. You can use the blue lights to go to jobs fast. This is a 3 week course.


Bear in mind, though, that Ambulance crews are only able to pass Red lights when on a Cat A Red Call. And are NOT allowed to exceed the speed limit by greater than 20mph.


EDICAP.

I was also about to write that the Merc' Sprinter in your post looked like an East Anglian one... But then I saw the link to RAF Marham. Rolling Eyes Wink

Although generally First Responders (more correctly entitled Community First Responders) use their own cars.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 2.31 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.76 Kb