Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The word 'mate'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: The word 'mate' Reply with quote

The dictionary says this...

www.dictionary.com wrote:

1. husband or wife; spouse.

2. one member of a pair of mated animals.

3. one of a pair: I can't find the mate to this glove.

4. a counterpart.

5. an associate; fellow worker; comrade; partner (often used in combination): classmate; roommate.

6. friend; buddy; pal (often used as an informal term of address): Let me give you a hand with that, mate.

7. Nautical.
a. first mate.
b. any of a number of officers of varying degrees of rank subordinate to the master of a merchant ship.
c. an assistant to a warrant officer or other functionary on a ship.

8. an aide or helper, as to an artisan; factotum.

9. a gear, rack, or worm engaging with another gear or worm.

10. Archaic. an equal in reputation; peer; match.
–verb (used with object)
11. to join as a mate or as mates.

12. to bring (animals) together for breeding purposes.

13. to match or marry.

14. to join, fit, or associate suitably: to mate thought with daring action.

15. to connect or link: a telephone system mated to a computerized information service.

16. to treat as comparable.
–verb (used without object)
17. to associate as a mate or as mates.

18. (of animals) to copulate.

19. (of animals) to pair for the purpose of breeding.

20. to marry.

21. (of a gear, rack, or worm) to engage with another gear or worm; mesh.

22. Archaic. to consort; keep company.



However I have found another meaning, the word mate can be used by females at the end of any sentance to let you know that despite her talking to you she has no intentions of sleeping with you.

For example "how are you mate" can loosely be translated to "How are you, by the way I find you completely unattractive and would rather chew my own arm off than climb into bed with you, you fucking bastard".

Why the hell do they do it, I have given the female in question no indication at all that I even wanted to touch her, is she that damn vain that she believes any male that speaks to her wants to sleep with her.

This is all from an old colleague who emailed today, I decided to reply to the email and put the word mate at the end of every sentance, just so she understands that I have no intentions what so ever.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very true. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

intrudersteve
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that word !.......when some people say it it sounds soooo sarcastic, whatever, could not give a dam !
Why not just say what you mean politely and Fcuk off ! Wink we cant all get on ,but some people just want to be funny about it.
____________________
Space !.......Its Big Man!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also annoys me when people use it to talk down to you! Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Great convo happened here.

Quote:
Me: Me and most my mates ride bikes.

Red Neck: How many wifes you got ?!?!


Laughing
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oddkid
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke, shut your trap, your low opinion of women is getting old now.
____________________
Always read the destructions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun, you must have been really bored to be reading a through dictionary, did you start on 'a'.

But good read though! Totally agree, It irritates me when people keep saying ,mate, mate, mate, to finish every sentence, mate. Especially in greeting, 'Hello, mate'............I HAVE A FUCKING NAME, MORON!

I wonder who started it......Gun, head, pull trigger!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash wrote:
Shaun, you must have been really bored to be reading a through dictionary, did you start on 'a'.


You tool! Razz

I only got the dictionary reference because my thoughts were prompted by the email I received.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be glad no one calls you MAC.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
It also annoys me when people use it to talk down to you! Evil or Very Mad


Yeah, but mate...
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read that much into a single word? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:01 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
You tool! Razz

I only got the dictionary reference because my thoughts were prompted by the email I received.



LOL! I know, was only pulling ya leg! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you think about it, girls/women must get really hacked off because if they give the slightest indication of over friendliness blokes jump on it like mad.. come on guys, admit it!

My friend says she has a real problem just being friends with blokes as they all think she is flirting with them when she is friendly towards them.

It must be a right pain for them.. I know, as a bloke, it would be perfectly fine if every potential partner was willing.. but I do think we look at things in a different way to women and sometimes they just want to make it clear from the start that there is no way should you even consider the thought of.. err.. well you know!
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: The word 'mate' Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
despite her talking to you she has no intentions of sleeping with you.


You get that a lot do you Shaun?? Wink Laughing Laughing
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a fine explanation, had I not known this girl for 4 years!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis very true.

When a girl says says 'mate' on the end of a sentence it is always oddly noticeable, unlike when any bloke says it.

I've also always taken it to mean - 'I want to be friendly but I don't want you to think that I fancy you..... even though I probably do'

It is just too conspicuous.
____________________
GSXR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
I've also always taken it to mean - 'I want to be friendly but I don't want you to think that I fancy you..... even though I probably do'


No, it means she doesn't fancy you, no 2 ways about it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
That would be a fine explanation, had I not known this girl for 4 years!


Time makes no difference... I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that people have known for longer than that... but I'm sure given that chance they would be 'in there'! It's just a male thing!
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck off and die shuan you post whoring cunt!
____________________
Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is, i wdnt have minded a female making it clear she was a mate, rather than that she fancied me.

Replying with a heavy sprinkling of 'mate's is just gonna seem a bit much as if you care whether she fancies you or not.

And as akadave said, sometimes girls really dont want to let on they like you, when secretly they do. Often girls are embarassed about coming on strong. Other times they dont fancy you, you just cant tell.

Nice thread though. Shes more likely to like the mellow shaun than the lukish one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our ex 2nd chef said 'mate' alot. Got on my nerves.
However, the whole work place latched on and everyone was saying it, even me.
Eased up a bit, but I still carry on - and annoy myself.
But, the comment is very true. Lets just hope all the work forse get the 'mate' hint Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call my sister mate sometimes, I haven't really thought much about it
but suppose it will stop her thinking I fancy her.

Mate I can handle but a bloke at work keeps calling me 'son'! it would be fine but his only 4 years older then me? Confused
____________________
Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a girl says mate at the end of every sentence I'd say it's a good indication she's pretty chavvy,

watching too much 'street crime uk' at the moment and all the lil chavvies 'mate' the coppers.. ''let me go mate' etc....

If you'r consious she's saying it so much then you must be thinking about porking her.. which she isn't going to not pick up.. she's a woooman
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
If you'r consious she's saying it so much then you must be thinking about porking her.. which she isn't going to not pick up.. she's a woooman


She's one of those people that thinks if a male talks to her they fancy her, not spoken to her for a while but every time she's not single and we speak she constantly says mate etc.

Fucking annoying!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to find it quite unladylike.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.37 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.32 Kb