Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tesco and helmets then....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Tesco and helmets then.... Reply with quote

Just throwing this into the mix once more.
Visiting Tesco extra store and there are notices on the petrol station door and by the side of the main entrance. Says something to the effect (apologise if not 100% correct - doing this from memory)..

Motorcyclists. In order to help us to serve you better please remove your helmet when entering the store

Now IMO they're not telling me (or you) to take off your helmet. All it's saying is that if you don't it's making life harder for them to serve you. So then, if I don't want to make things easier for them then that's my choice.

The notice does not say anything to the effect remove your helmet or we will not serve you. So any member of staff refusing to serve you wearing a helmet is not following their own policy.

The notice just refers to helmets. So if I wished to follow the notice I'd be ok to keep on any balaclava, ski mask, etc. that I chose to wear under the helmet Wink

Would be interested if anyone has tried this policy at Tescos.
Also interested if anyone has any examples of more explicit notices at other stores (as in remove helmet or don't get served).

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mozzer
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've not read my thread then?
____________________
1st: June 6th 2006 - Nov 6th 2006: 2001 Aprilia RS125 |2nd: Nov 12th 2006 - Present: 1991 Honda CBR400RR
Jamie Stokes wrote: it now has a memory of 512mb and is super fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozzer wrote:
So you've not read my thread then?

Yes. Saw that. Was about the hassle you got from one security guard wasn't it.

Rather than continue that I thought I'd ask in this one for any examples of explicit notices (because Tesco's one isn't).

Hope that clarifies Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mozzer
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, well, can't remember any off hand. Will post when I see one.
____________________
1st: June 6th 2006 - Nov 6th 2006: 2001 Aprilia RS125 |2nd: Nov 12th 2006 - Present: 1991 Honda CBR400RR
Jamie Stokes wrote: it now has a memory of 512mb and is super fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JakeyR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a Texaco i went to today, there was a sticker on the door with pic of a lid and a red line through it saying "no helmets"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, without going into the whole burka issue, they want you to remove it so they can see you in camera in case you're a fraudster using a stolen credit card or something. (Same reason they usually ask you to remove your cap.

I agree though, what a load of bollocks! Middle Finger
____________________
Kawasaki ER6n -> Honda CBR600RR -> Honda VTR 1000 -> Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
Buy my Mercedes 350 Sport AMG Evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Sainsbury's with petrol stations have this policy.

Ive got an open face helmet and always flip it up when im filling. Never been hasseled, apart from when I did wear my full face helmet into an acutal main store for fags, I know the serc guard though so he was laughing and joking with me about it.
____________________
Past: GZ 125 K4 Marauder, VL 125 LC Intruder, FZS 600 Fazer. Present: GSF 600 N K3 Bandit, GSX-R 600 X(soon)
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tesco's (mereway, Northampton) hasn't got arsy over helmets yet. I always fill up and pay with my lid on. I know its not polite, but to be honest I don't care about being polite to petrol station attendents (unless she happens to be attractive Wink ) . I don't want to go out of my way to be rude either though. I just want to be in, out and gone as fast as possible.

If they told me to remove my helmet I would just say "No thanks, I'll keep it on." If they get arsy about it I'll just put my money on the counter, tell them the number and inform them they can keep the few pennies change.

Luckily, my Tesco is ok with helmets, so no one has to go through any hassle Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JakeyR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i've only been asked to take my lid off once (BP) well, not asked, more like told.

My local Tesco Express is cool though, they pretty much know me becuase i top up there every morning near enough, so they trust me (oh how wrong they are Laughing)

The huuuge Tesco a couple of miles from me is good, you can pay on your card at the pump, dont even have to get off your bike, ahh the joy Very Happy

And theres my 2p about supermarkets Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

minesweeper
Whoah there!



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a supervisor for tescos at a south london branch (also a landlord but this keeps me out of trouble)
Its mainly for security reasons that your asked to remove your helmet to allow cctv to see your face (alot of stolen vehicles are simply filled up then driven away) As to balaclavas and ski masks you likely wouldnt be served until you took them off Smile
When i worked at the station as part of training some riders would even keep their visors down and not say a word simply gesturing at their bike when it came time to pay. think the english language defines these people as "t*ats"
where your helmets to pay if you like but dont get pissy if your asked to remove it, just makes u look like a spoilt brat.
____________________
Rvf400, 955i daytona, 954 fireblade, cbr1000rr fireblade 06 Hm plant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont take my lid off for these knobbers.... just flash em your credit card, thats all they want anyway Rolling Eyes
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200


Last edited by ram_doom on 22:07 - 28 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was told to take it off at the pumps a few weeks ago in an esso, so thats me not going back there then!
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just makes u look like a spoilt brat.


1) If there's no signs(therefore no policy) who are they to point out that you are happily wearing your lid?

2) I don't see how it makes you look like a spoilt brat, are ethnic people spoilt muslims because of their veils etc? so much for human rights/innocent until proven guilty Rolling Eyes
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a notice on at my local Shell garage saying 'no helmets', but I've been going there long before the notice was up so the chaps inside just let me keep the lid on. Never had a problem.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Street Fighter
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 19 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the removal of facial coverings goes beyond the prevention of fraud related offences. When wearing full protective clothing my fifteen stone frame appears considerably larger. My full face helmet fitted with tinted visor gives additional inches to my height. Is it not entirely conceivable that others whom I tower over may find me somewhat intimidating?

Add to that my machine waiting nearby to propel me to 60mph in just a few seconds and I'm all set to commit a good old fashioned robbery!

Contrary to the propoganda that our beloved government would have us believe violent crime in the UK is increasing along with the number of illegal firearms in the hands of ruthless individuals prepared to use them.

Yes, I agree, having to remove your helmet is annoying and incovenient. I always attempt to make use of the self pay pumps when fueling my bike which seems to avoid the issue. All the main supermarkets have them and they are also considerably cheaper that the major oil companies selling petrol usually less than a mile away!

As for breaching your human rights as a motorcyclist? Prey tell, which article of the most misused piece of legislation ever to grace our statute books are you referring to?
____________________
03 Triumph Speed Four
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was asked to leave my helmet at the door in Costco of Ellesmere Port. I left it at the door and proceeded to withdraw my 'membership' along with a huge complaint about treating me, a white christian pure british citizen, like an assumed criminal.

Really pissed me off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine only problem with that cestrian, is the 'peasants' behind the tills just think to themselves 'hah, what a knob' or similar, not saying they do, but could imagine so, although I would probably of done the same thing..
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:
Yesterday I was asked to leave my helmet at the door in Costco of Ellesmere Port. I left it at the door and proceeded to withdraw my 'membership' along with a huge complaint about treating me, a white christian pure british citizen, like an assumed criminal.

Really pissed me off.


Take your point but part of being British or English means that we aren't pure. We are probably the biggest mungrel nation that there is on the planet and that is what makes us so tolerant of those single race bigots.

As for taking my lid off, if you want my money you take me as I am, how ever when entering a shop I take my lid off out of politeness ( unless I'm told to take it off ....... then I turn around and leave. )
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a petrol station with a sign asking to remove helmets before you go in. Just for a laugh i wore a balaclava underneath, they didnt ask me to take that off Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the past 2 years or so (when i started riding) No-one has ever asked me to remove my helmet when paying for petrol before! Very Happy
____________________
- Typhoon ?0 - Yamaha DT125R - Aprilia SR125 - Yamaha DT125R - Honda Hornet 600 -
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Trip
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Fighter wrote:

Add to that my machine waiting nearby to propel me to 60mph in just a few seconds...


Very Colin dontcha think?
____________________
Bike: Yamaha XJ600N Mileage: 28500 Miles Rider Mileage: Many Miles
CBT: PASSED Theory: PASSED Test: PASSED
Past-CG125 Present - Yamaha XJ600N Future - WHO KNOWS?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What these people don't seem to realise is if they're getting robbed, they're getting robbed. If the getaway vehicle of choice is a motorcycle, no amount of whinging at someone to take off their helmet is going to affect this.

The time for them to decide they want your helmet off is BEFORE they authorise the pump.

I was in a tescos once and halfway through filling up, the woman starts having a go at me over the tannoy on the forecourt to get off the bike when I fill it. Now, I ride an enduro-style bike, the tank is pretty small and you can only fill it to the top with the bike level. It leans way over on the stand. Plus I was already halfway through filling it.

I went in to pay and she had another go at me. I replied that the time for her to decide that was before she pressed the button to activate the pump and explained about the angle of the stand on my bike. She said she wouldn't authorise a pump again for me unless I got off the bike first. I replied that in that case she'd just lost a customer to which she replied, and I quote, "There's plenty more where you came from".

So, if you were thinking of filling up at the Tescos in Helensborough, don't bother, they already have plenty of customers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:46 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
cestrian wrote:
Yesterday I was asked to leave my helmet at the door in Costco of Ellesmere Port. I left it at the door and proceeded to withdraw my 'membership' along with a huge complaint about treating me, a white christian pure british citizen, like an assumed criminal.

Really pissed me off.


Rolling Eyes

Yeah..."white is right so fight fight fight" and all that.....

This isn't www.combat18.org.

If being white and of christian faith is what you think defines being british you should take your head out your arse. sorry.


In reply...

My post was was about prejudice towards motorcyclists and was therefore 'on-topic' and is not the first post to mention race or religion, so there really was no need to quote someone else's racist chants or post a link to what appears to be the website(s) of racist organisations or white supremacists, whatever you wish to call them.

Anyway, to correct my typographical errors, the words British and Christian should begin with a capital letter.
Using the word "pure" was bound to rouse someone. If the moderators think I should make an apology, I will consider it.

Your assumptions about my thoughts are quite wrong. Being white and Christian make me just that, white and Christian. I'm British because I was born here.

Did I offend you? And if so, why did you need to apologize?

Edited to add....It is not my intention to ruin this thread, therefore I will not mention this again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's plenty more where you came from". - Stinkwheel's post...

That is the kind of attitude that Tesco managers abhor. If you had complained, she would have been seriously reprimanded.

Edited to add.....

We take far too much of this abuse. That woman is paid to SERVE you, not abuse you. If that ever happens to me, I will demand to see the manager and have the problem sorted.[rant over]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.85 Kb