Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Portfolio Idea's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:12 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Portfolio Idea's Reply with quote

Im applying for Music Technology courses for Uni and some of them require a portfolio.

Now i've got a couple of idea's but i wanted to see if any of you had any quirky idea's that could be worth putting in or themes to include.

It has to be in a CD of DVD format and i have to demonstrate my use of Music Technology...

Please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, maybe go in the interview wearing pants made of sheet music and a cd player codpiece while dong an erotic dance..

You said quirky..

Seriously tough, my girfriends brother runs his own sound engineering company and has worked for a few, none of them would ever consider hireing anyone whith a music tech degree because "there fecking useless and have been taught feck all in most cases"

Not wanting to be a prick, but i'd think extreemly carefully before doing said course depending on what you plan useing it for..

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:34 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its based in a working studio using existing rigs as well as building my own.

The other part is building the various components that make up said studio.

Not just this slider does this but this slider does this because...

Also quite alot of scope for employment because ill already be in a studio chain.

Eventually will want to be working for myself however and im sure id hire me Laughing

Thanks for that mate... Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It think what really did it for matt was having a guy with forementioned degree from a decent uni turn up who couldn't even solder cabling (which is a common pass time of sound technicians) and had somehow never seen an xlr cable Confused

Whats very important is having done this sorta stuff on your own, sound for amateur dramatics society's, small gigs, recordings for bands that kinda stuff (assuming you haven't you might well have i dunno) ive helped out on the odd one or two and its pretty mind boggling sometimes, live stuff only.. and sounds desks = heavy Shocked

Good luck Thumbs Up

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:59 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you've mentioned there actually Z. Worked as a promoter in my area for a while, do a bit of sound engineering at those gigs, volunteered in a theatre and do quite a bit of work in a studio in Corby that is set up in one of the local schools.

Im in it for the love of music and the experience of live sound... nothing else comes close.

However the money isnt steady and so studio work is always a good bet.

It is incredible the guff that some people come out of Uni with. If i wasnt sure of the course i was going in on i would bypass the degree completely and get a placement somewhere making tea until they let me push some buttons...

Yes desks are very heavy ever tried carrying 18' active subs with magnets as big as your head?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:00 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Portfolio Idea's Reply with quote

Rich_simpkins wrote:
It has to be in a CD of DVD format and i have to demonstrate my use of Music Technology...

Burn an mp3 dvd of the latest releases that you've obtained from whatever P2P network to show how technology can be used to make music more accessible for people whilst still being good quality? Razz

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:02 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm a thought, however would rather not like to get done for Plagiarism before the course even starts...

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh he ended up doing a marketing degree (you need a degree of some sort to get any help starting up really)

And on the subject of ludicrously large cabs yes, stacking them 3 high makes them less funi'm not entirely sure how we even managed it in the end, just remember pain.... and it hurts just to remember Sad although the lighting rights frankly scared the crap out of me, spinal injury seems less bad compared..

Didn't mean to sound patronising you obviously know your stuff, i can definitely see the appeal, i couldn't cope doing it every day though Laughing

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:18 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate its good to hear peoples views, its increased my confidence no end to know that i know what an XLR is Wink

Quote:
And on the subject of ludicrously large cabs yes, stacking them 3 high makes them less fun i'm not entirely sure how we even managed it in the end, just remember pain.... and it hurts just to remember

Ever tried catching them cos some dick in the audience thinks it would be funny to dive into them? Pfft They'd complain if the cabs fell on them Rolling Eyes

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich_simpkins wrote:
Ever tried catching them cos some dick in the audience thinks it would be funny to dive into them? Pfft They'd complain if the cabs fell on them Rolling Eyes

Shiting hell :/ i'd have let it go, darwin in action Laughing I know he has allot of problems with people leave drinks of the desks (one of those needs 8 people to carry it desks) who can't seem to understand why they get a mouthfull of abuse..

Actually, i'd not mind if there were people to carry the gear about and i got to have a cattle prod with a long handle Twisted Evil a nice cozey studio is where its at i reckon Razz

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:38 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

People think their drinks have the right to sit anywhere...

Wonder why its on the floor after leaving it on a cab Rolling Eyes

The studio that i'm going to (hopefully) has an enormous Neve desk, cost an enormous amount of money.

They had to take half the building down to get it in there. Had to use a crane. Not surprising its on the ground floor then....

Dont fancy lifting that somehow Shocked

https://www.ams-neve.com/html/models/Music/88RS/index.php

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! dunno about the cost but i'd imagine it not far off a house sort of money, its just not right Shocked

Good luck getting in somewhere, hopefully you'll be set up after that Thumbs Up

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:48 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they did give me a figure but i was too amazed to remember it.

Cheers mate hope i do too

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:29 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the initial question...

How about getting involved in a short film and producing a soundtrack for it, possibly getting involved in the dub too - show them you can use Pro tools or Cubase (if you can!)?

Perhaps sequence some music for a flash animation?

Plus stick in photos, paperwork etc from any of the live work you've done.

Let us know how you get on.

Craig

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:31 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craggles wrote:
Back to the initial question...

How about getting involved in a short film and producing a soundtrack for it, possibly getting involved in the dub too - show them you can use Pro tools or Cubase (if you can!)?

Perhaps sequence some music for a flash animation?

Plus stick in photos, paperwork etc from any of the live work you've done.

Let us know how you get on.

Craig

All ideas i came up with mate but none were impimented in time... things due in a week on tuesday.

Managed to dig out some old Pro tools files of a band i had recorded did a bit of tweaking and now have some passable tracks.

Really cant be arsed with the whole interview process now as its not even the course i really want.

Oh well spose everyone needs a fall back....

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 14:14 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week on Tuesday!

I completed my final year Electro Acoustic Composition project in under 8 hours studio time (and got a first... and my work was utterly unoriginal and not particularly well structured).

I'd recommend throwing something together using as many different pieces of software you can. I used Cubase (even though I hate it) for drum loops, Logic for my midi tracks and ProTools for Audio tracks and to paste it all together.

Whilst we were set a definitive 'project' (to produce an accompanying sound track to a promotional video of Wales Laughing) it's quite a nice way of working. Find a couple of photos or pictures that particularly inspire you and compose a sountrack to them - it doesn't have to be a well structured piece of music, just demonstrate that you can use and layer different instruments, and samples (don't be afraid to use popular samples - The Stranglers "Golden Brown" always works well) and processing techniques to create a varied soundscape.

Good luck - don't dispair at interview stage, you'll love the course and the work, being in the studio was one of my most favourite parts of my degree. It's a real opportunity to be creative and have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put up a fake advert for musical engineers , people desparate for jobs will send you copies of their portfolio,

around 1999 maybe earlier I put out a post on a 3d modelling forum , many people misread my post and sent me their portfolios, mine was better , and I got a job fairly easy , but this route ran out and I changed career.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:42 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Good luck - don't dispair at interview stage, you'll love the course and the work, being in the studio was one of my most favourite parts of my degree. It's a real opportunity to be creative and have fun.

The resason i cant be arsed with it is because i have found a better course to go on.

The only reason i am really going down is to see the other half for a few days and cos she'll hit me if i dont at least try to get in there.

The annoying thing is the better course took me just by chatting with me for 10 minutes this one wants a whole days interview proccess Rolling Eyes

Was just stuck for ideas but ive thrown some old tosh together for them and they'l probably lap it up...

Just gotta get it mastered now Rolling Eyes

Cheers for your help guys

Karma Cookies for all...

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:15 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
...Find a couple of photos or pictures that particularly inspire you and compose a sountrack to them - it doesn't have to be a well structured piece of music...

That reminds me, must do something with my photos like that.

On topic - Annabella's idea would also allow you to demonstrate use of music to create a different atmosphere for the same pic(s). Apology if that's a little too simple for what you need to show though.

Best of luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1