Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Why do you choose to bike as OPPsd to drive?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

The_Long_Distance_Runner
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Why do you choose to bike as OPPsd to drive? Reply with quote

Pretty self explanatory. Why do we continue to ride despite its major disadvangtages and impracticality as opposed to driving?

I'm curious.
____________________
Too damn French.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:04 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free parking?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is more fun and you get from A to B faster?

On a more important note, can you please request for your user name to be made shorter? It mucks up a nice looking forum.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

More mpg, quicker, a lot more fun and car insurance quotes are ridiculous.

Threads been done a million times. Plenty more reasons on top of that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't Drive Legally...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question.
If you need to ask it you will never understand the answer.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

1930 Ariel wrote:
Stupid question.
If you need to ask it you will never understand the answer.


I have to admit it, but its the answer to end this thread Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess anyone who doesn't know the answer could read the other 2371 threads in which it's been asked before.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do we continue to ride despite its major disadvangtages and impracticality as opposed to driving?


I'm an expert driver, owning numerous cars in my ever expanding garage, half of which I've won at race meetings. I guess I ride because my PS2 isn't very portable despite offering my only source of driving "enjoyment".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering the major disadvantages and impracticalities recently...
Driving a car I get stuck in traffic, get poor fuel consumption have poor acceleration and braking, can't take corners too fast, take ages squeezing into a parking space that's not big enough and I can't afford a car that can wheelie either Razz.

Riding the bike today after a while of not and it was nice to be going past all the traffic, not paying for parking and being able to accelerate a bit (and that was on the 125).

Even if I could afford a car that comes close to the performance of other bikes I own, I'd still be using the bike to get about and for some fun as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

h00dwink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda paraphrasing what i'v read before;
in spite of all the various advantages traffic/mpg/parking etc... at the end of the day it's fun.
____________________
Sahf East Winnah 4LYF
https://bikepics.com/members/h00dwink/00sv650s/
www.youtube.com/h00dwink updated regularly
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Why do you choose to bike as OPPsd to drive? Reply with quote

The_Long_Distance_Runner wrote:
Pretty self explanatory. Why do we continue to ride despite its major disadvangtages and impracticality as opposed to driving?

I'm curious.



Lets see 18 miles to work at peak time on bike... Max 45 mins including togging up.... Hey i'm just a stedy biker in the city center...
Same trip in car at least 90 mins, but then i am late for work so i need to set off at least 45 mins earlier to avoid traffic and end up at work far to early...
Coming home even worse at least 2 hours struggling accross city, on bike again approx 45 mins...
Then factor in cost, bike at 5p a mile or car at around 20p a mile in petrol. Then there is the RFT £30 ish against £100 ins is not far off the same for car or bike.. Just need to bulid my NCD on bike up again. Confused

Oh and the street cread it gives the sprog when dad turns up on bike to pick her up from after school is well worth it..... To see all the other kids green faces when your rev up down the drive... Very Happy


Do you really need to ask why ?????
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt06
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel being on a bike is a much more of an 'experience' than driving a car. I cant legally drive a car but my parents have let me have a go a few times and to be honest its really boring. Its like being in a moving armchair or something. There is no substance to it.

I love feeling while i am riding that i am 'at one' with the bike. Of course i only have my little 125 but i love it. Cool
____________________
Current: MT-10, Bandit, Grom, GPZ500
Previous: YBR125, GSXR400, ZXR400, MT-03, NTV650, R6, z750, ZX6R, MT-09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:24 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved bike but at the moment I'm in landlord let uni approved accomodation so just like halls but not owned by the uni.

you can't park a car here, there's bugger all parking around lincoln for free.
My bike gets a heated garage with wall anchors and CCTV, my insurance is £146 and it costs me £5 in fuel to go home, the same train ticket it £30 return... and no where near as much fun Twisted Evil

intend on doing my car test, doc says I've got juvenile arthritis in my fingers and toes.. all I know is if it's cold I hurt. third winter on the bike, the bar muffs do help but It would be nice to have an alternative. Also with the car I could take my woofers out and about and start doing some trials, obedience and agility Thumbs Up
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:24 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant afford a ferrari Sad

but who cares Middle Finger
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:02 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simply I'm sitting here at 7:07am just finishing my cup of tea, then off to work on the bike. If I took the company van I would have left and hour and twenty minutes ago Wink
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because I'm a desperately impatient and short-tempered driver. I ride motorcycles for both my mental wellbeing and public safety.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becuase I can't drive. I have a driving licence, i've done the pass plus, I've had refresher lessons too. I just don't like driving. It doesn't feel right.

When I ride my bike, I don't struggle to find a parking space, and it's free. I don't get stuck in traffic, I filter a lot. No need to get streese in a narrow street traffic jam, and have to reverse half a mile down the road and round the corner.

I can get a better bike for my money, than I can a car.

I feel safer on a bike than I do in a car.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Why do you choose to bike as OPPsd to drive? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Oh and the street cread it gives


Street Cred?

Assuming that's your bike in your avatar...

Is that a TOP BOX I see??? Doh!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

because i find driving has major disadvangtages and impracticality as opposed to riding. My commute to work would take approx 2 hours by car, on the bike i do it in 45 mins. My car does 20mpg, my bike does 50.

If i was popping to the shops it may be a different story.
____________________
Current : '08 Yamaha FZ1s
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard NOT to ride bikes...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marci
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it cheaper to take my CBT, get a 125, take my DAS, get a CB500 than to take driving lessons and buy, MOT & Insure a car.

So for me it was purely because it was cheaper to get a bike license and a halfdecent bike than it was to get a car license and a halfdecent car.
____________________
FAB-Racing MiniMotoSidecars - Back with a vengeance - F1 Class 2011...
CBR170 engine, custom chassis - www.minimotoscene.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keir_K3 wrote:
My car does 20mpg, my bike does 50.


Crikey!!! What car you got? A Bentley?

And...

You Sig' says GSXR600, how'd you get 50mpg from that? Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.01 Kb