Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Going Italian - Ducati 996R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Crazy Iron Horse
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Going Italian - Ducati 996R Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm currently musing on the idea of buying a second-hand ducati 996R special edition. It seems a good deal for the milage and it appears very well kept - I still need to test it though and obviously will before I buy it.

But, before i do, does anyone know much about these models or have had any experience with one? I cant find very much wealth written about them. Secondly how much are they worth? Its worth knowing these things before going and blowing my student loan indulgently on fast toys! Wink

All the best...

Horse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:09 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Going Italian - Ducati 996R Reply with quote

Crazy Iron Horse wrote:
Hi all!

I'm currently musing on the idea of buying a second-hand ducati 996R special edition. It seems a good deal for the milage and it appears very well kept - I still need to test it though and obviously will before I buy it.

But, before i do, does anyone know much about these models or have had any experience with one? I cant find very much wealth written about them. Secondly how much are they worth? Its worth knowing these things before going and blowing my student loan indulgently on fast toys! Wink

All the best...

Horse.

Do not buy a Ducati if you're a student. It will bankrupt you all the way out of university with the service costs. By all means get one after university, they are nice bikes... but they're not as easy to keep as a Jap bike if you have bugger all money.
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:03 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flat mate is a student with a ducati, If I had a pound for everytime he has said "she's not running right" Laughing . As servicing goes it needs to be done half as offen as any other bike and costs twice as much, I believe a big service from a Ducati main dealer is about £1000.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

I'm not entirely sure it's the same bike, but i THINK DucatiEvo on here has a 996 SP so it might be worth talking to him.
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
My flat mate is a student with a ducati, If I had a pound for everytime he has said "she's not running right" Laughing . As servicing goes it needs to be done half as offen as any other bike and costs twice as much, I believe a big service from a Ducati main dealer is about £1000.

I feel sorry for him...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bonehead
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont do it, not whilst your a student anyway.Imagine when you cant afford to go out with all those pissed up student girls and you also cant afford to keep a duc on the road.
I graduated about 6 years ago, I know.
Get something reasonbly cheap and reliable and have the best of both worlds
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want a big twin, get an Aprilia RSV Mille. You can find early ones for quite cheap and the engines are bullet-proof.

Thinking the new RSV will be my next bike.

Ducati? Definately not a student bike......unless of course, you are one of those Russian/Chinese students who come over and their dad buys them a £40k car to run around campus on........
____________________
Kawasaki ER6n -> Honda CBR600RR -> Honda VTR 1000 -> Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
Buy my Mercedes 350 Sport AMG Evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
My flat mate is a student with a ducati, If I had a pound for everytime he has said "she's not running right" Laughing . As servicing goes it needs to be done half as offen as any other bike and costs twice as much, I believe a big service from a Ducati main dealer is about £1000.


Absolute rubbish. They need servicing every 6000 miles / annually. Dealer service costs aren't that cheap but you're talking a few hundred pounds, certainly not a grand!
As for not running right, they have one of the finest fuel injection systems available and "not running right" isn't something you hear about them very often.

Now back to the specific question - do you actually want the R? They tend to go for around five grand if low miles and good condition. You can get a standard 996 for around £3K, slightly less power and lower spec (heavier wheels, showa shock rather than ohlins etc).
No real known issues apart from chrome flaking off the rockers, which can bump up the service bill as they're nearly £100 each, other than that they're fairly bulletproof if looked after and serviced.
Try asking on www.ducatisportingclub.com for more details and owner's opinions.

Having said all that, it's true that they do cost a bit to keep on the road if doing a lot of miles and that many other bikes are cheaper to run, however for those that lust after Ducati nothing else will do! Might be worth looking at the air cooled SS range, much much cheaper to buy and run!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 998RS which is pretty much the same bike give or take the motor and a few 'parts'. Not sure I'd want to run one as a student, especially if it's an everyday bike......

I'd def want a full service history, check the belts have been changed and any recall stuff has been done etc. I think the 996R is pretty much free from any bugs that came with the early pre-1998 bikes though, just remember to keep the battery topped up Wink

If you want more info try www.ducatisti.co.uk

Thumbs Up
____________________
aKa: Ducky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiEVO wrote:
I have a 998RS



<drool> Smile

not something I've seen about, ridden a 748RS, never seen a 998 one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BorderHooner
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm a student and I'm thinking of getting all the cash from my student loan, covering it in petrol and setting fire to it. I have also considered burying the money far out at sea or perhaps I may buy an expensive italian superbike. I also have never had sex.

Please - tell me what to do before I kill myself listening to Boyzone.

Thanks

El Student Prat
____________________
Benelli. Happy as a pig in cacky.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent me student loan on a bike and people thought i was mad, but a duke!

Whole new level of madness Thumbs Up Laughing

Go for it if you want, but wont be easy - a cheaper/newer jap bike will get you plenty of thrills till you're earnin a decent living.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:57 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it.

Do it if you can.

(that's weird - a V-Twin thread and no post from G yet about how boring they are to ride or how better to spend your money)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:27 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to bet those telling you it's a waste of money and will be unreliable and hugely expensive to run haven't actually owned one! Smile there's lots and lots of myths about these things and it's surprising what people will present as fact when they heard it from a mate in a pub who once knew someone who had a friend who had a Ducati in 1983 that had dodgy electrics.
Yes they cost a little more to service than most jap bikes, they're not less reliable though in general, and are far more rewarding to own and ride.
Take a ten year old Ducati superbike and a ten year old gixxer down to a bike meet and see which one gets ignored! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoulRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
If you really want a big twin, get an Aprilia RSV Mille. You can find early ones for quite cheap and the engines are bullet-proof.

Thinking the new RSV will be my next bike.



lol your adicted to RSV's. If your getting any twin its a ducati 1098 as ive told you many a times before Thumbs Up Very Happy
____________________
My Bike Pics
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, I'm really into them at the moment.

I can't get that sound out of my head! Remember that guy (read 'prat') at ExCel revving his engine in the carpark?

And in white it just looks so mean!
____________________
Kawasaki ER6n -> Honda CBR600RR -> Honda VTR 1000 -> Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
Buy my Mercedes 350 Sport AMG Evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting a 748 with part of my loan in the winter/early next year. I think they rock lol.

Yes i've had sex. Laughing Laughing
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
no post from G yet about how boring they are to ride or how better to spend your money


On trackdays of course Razz
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crazy Iron Horse
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonehead wrote:
Dont do it, not whilst your a student anyway.Imagine when you cant afford to go out with all those pissed up student girls and you also cant afford to keep a duc on the road.
I graduated about 6 years ago, I know.
Get something reasonbly cheap and reliable and have the best of both worlds


Hehe, well I already have an R1 so im pretty short on cash anyway! Your right about the chicks tho, whats the point of going to bristol uni if you cant take advantage of the fantastic gender ratio they have here! Shocked Thanks for all the sound advice everyone!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Crazy Iron Horse
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlosfandango wrote:
Hi

I'm a student and I'm thinking of getting all the cash from my student loan, covering it in petrol and setting fire to it. I have also considered burying the money far out at sea or perhaps I may buy an expensive italian superbike. I also have never had sex.

Please - tell me what to do before I kill myself listening to Boyzone.

Thanks

El Student Prat


Laughing Nice one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.17 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 114.17 Kb