Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Night time ride was great.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Night time ride was great..... Reply with quote

Until I got dew and road salt on the visor and I had one of those moments on the M57. Should I try to wipe it off???

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!

OMFG I could not see a damn thing. The stuff smeared like grease across my visor I was left doing 60mph not being able to see!! Got on to the M62 and headed for home once I got off the motorway had to open the visor and face the freezing wind as I could not see a darn thing. Was rather scary!

On a better note the new headlight bulb was very bright and I could (up until the visor wipe) see great!

Lesson learnt DO NOT WIPE IT OFF JUST LEAVE IT BE!

Catherine
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or lift your visor up straight away rather than riding blind Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit yes. sometimes ya just never know.
ive found 9 times out of 10 though its not a good idea.
not to mention you might end up scatching your visor.
Pull over and do it properly or just let it be.

Being able to see when riding is underrated in my book.

Glad ya made it Thumbs Up
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your travelling at a "reasonable" speed you can just turn you head to the side, let the wind clean your visor for you. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Or lift your visor up straight away rather than riding blind Wink


It was freezing!!!

Had grit flying at me and it was great to drive by wire so to speak lol!! drove by following car rear lights! Couldn't slow down enough on motorway really to a speed which would have allowed me to open the visor.

Enjoyed the ride though it was ace!!!

Had a Merc on the east lancs that tried it on pmsl as i left him standing was sooo good I absolutely love riding! Didn't see one other bike at all was all alone!

Still a great ride though!


Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
Toby R wrote:
Or lift your visor up straight away rather than riding blind Wink


It was freezing!!!

Had grit flying at me and it was great to drive by wire so to speak lol!! drove by following car rear lights! Couldn't slow down enough on motorway really to a speed which would have allowed me to open the visor.

Enjoyed the ride though it was ace!!!

Had a Merc on the east lancs that tried it on pmsl as i left him standing was sooo good I absolutely love riding! Didn't see one other bike at all was all alone!

Still a great ride though!


Razz


I was out at about 12.30 last night, wasn't that cold Razz Had my visor open Very Happy

You might want to practice fiddling with your visor at high speed etc, I ride one handed down very quiet roads just to get some practice in in case I ever need a hand free Razz It's worrying at first but you get used to it... I only ever used to be able to take my right hand off of the bars...

But you beat me, I've not been on a motorway yet Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pte1643 wrote:
If your travelling at a "reasonable" speed you can just turn you head to the side, let the wind clean your visor for you. Thumbs Up


Works with water or just condensation, doesn't work with salty motorway spray unfortunately which seems to be able to stick to a visor much more successfully than it ever sticks to the road...... Sad

The water may run off but it leaves a white residue which can only really be cleared by stopping and pretty much polishing it.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy


Last edited by yambabe on 12:26 - 15 Feb 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on loads of motorways. I can ride with one hand I was riding sat up last night with my left hand on my leg.

Learnt how to counter steer riding with one hand Thumbs Up

If you wanna meet up for a ride give us a buzz mate
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
I have been on loads of motorways. I can ride with one hand I was riding sat up last night with my left hand on my leg.

Learnt how to counter steer riding with one hand Thumbs Up

If you wanna meet up for a ride give us a buzz mate


Will do, There's not many people that go out during the week (Or everyone keeps quiet about it Sad )

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh mate i dont go out that much as I only get in late but last night i was itching to get out!

Could text next time to see if your up for a scoot out

Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
tbh mate i dont go out that much as I only get in late but last night i was itching to get out!

Could text next time to see if your up for a scoot out

Twisted Evil


I'm back at 7pm every night lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You not been on the motorway at all?

Tbh its sooo boring and I hate them. Pref the twisty roads out towards Rufford and Croston now there is a road that I am drooling about. Nearly got my knee down last Sept on that road was great!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
You not been on the motorway at all?

Tbh its sooo boring and I hate them. Pref the twisty roads out towards Rufford and Croston now there is a road that I am drooling about. Nearly got my knee down last Sept on that road was great!


Nope I haven't.

I live in Wavertree, Liverpool and I want to see if I can get to Warrington quicker on the Mway than I can on normal roads... GF says its slower...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Or lift your visor up straight away rather than riding blind Wink



You clearly have never had the 'grit in the eye' experience Laughing

I made the mistake of lifting my completely misted over visor one wintry morning only to be pummelled in the face by what felt like half a lorry load of grit and salt as I passed a gritter Sad

It bloody hurt. A lot. And I was late because I had to pull over to cry and rub my eyes.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is another argument for my integrated helmet windscreen wiper/skoosher device. Cool

I ride with my visor up pretty much all the time, except when its really cold or raining heavily. Its a crappy helmet, the visor is shit and its already beginning to get abraided, I'm getting a new helmet next week.

A chin up job so I can more efficiently scare small children and make babies cry with my disturbing visage Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

I live in Wavertree, Liverpool and I want to see if I can get to Warrington quicker on the Mway than I can on normal roads... GF says its slower...


Yeah but she's only ever done it in a car........ Confused
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Toby R wrote:

I live in Wavertree, Liverpool and I want to see if I can get to Warrington quicker on the Mway than I can on normal roads... GF says its slower...


Yeah but she's only ever done it in a car........ Confused


Suppose so...

Looking at the map it looks like it goes from Queens Drive (4 minute ride from my house if I get stuck at the lights) and comes out at Winwick Road...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Essex_Mike
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive almost been smashed in the face by grit before. Luckily I've always seemed to put my visor down just before it hits me. Maybe a good sixth sence I have Confused


pa_broon74 - whats this little device thingy then? I'm intrigued on how it works lol
____________________
CBT - Passed - 14/07/2006 Theory - Passed - 19/08/2006 A2 test - Passed -19/07/2007
Previous Bike - Suzuki EN125
Current Bike - Suzuki GS500F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah , the last few weeks rain OR shine I've been out every night , its always a solo affair , but you guys have my number if you need it , I'm only 22 miles away.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickest way (in the car) for me when I was working at Pier Head was to jump on the M62 at Birchwood at get off it at the Knowsley Bypass, then go down Speke Boulevard for the last bit but turn off and go past the garden thingy along the front rather than stop-start at the lights.

Worked quickest in both directions generally, that was travelling in to get there for 9 and leaving at about 5-5.30.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've head of people jamming a tennis ball cut in half somewhere with a wet sponge in it near their screen/dash. Then they can just whip out the sponge and give their visor a clean on the move.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

twin visor lid? like me Shark? yes two external visors one dark one clear the dark one is so big it covers the entire outer visor nearly
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I've head of people jamming a tennis ball cut in half somewhere with a wet sponge in it near their screen/dash. Then they can just whip out the sponge and give their visor a clean on the move.


That sounds mint!

But would it not then attract more dirt being wet? My windscreen does this in my car!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tear offs? , though you need lugs for this like on Arais
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my new lid I had a stone fly up from a car and take a tiny chunk out or the outer shell Sad. First ride out with the new lid as well. Sad

I can sympathise with the "Can't see for toffee" effect as I was on the motorway last week (in -6 degrees) and when I hit some freezing fog, the visor completely iced over. At 70 mph in the 3rd lane. I managed to scrape a finger wide gap and duck off into a works unit sliproad to scrape, dry and polish...

K.
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 6.9 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.02 Kb