Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Lost confidence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Huambo81a
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Lost confidence Reply with quote

Ever since i lost the back end a few weeks ago (and didnt even fall off) my confidence has vanished, to the point where im actually a danger to myself. I find myself running wide just because i daren't turn in to the corner. I find myself tense and nervous, the corners i once loved are now a pain for me. Every road surface is suspected of being laced with diesel, and my tires offer NO traction. At least this is what my pain in the ass head is leading me to believe.

Anyone else ever lost their confidence in riding? if so, how did you get it back, is it a case of riding through it? Maybe i have forgotten what a good road feels like Smile

At the very least, i now know that riding in the winter holds no joy!
____________________
Present: 2017 KTM Super Adventure S
Past: 97 Bandit 600 / 05 Bandit 1200 / 03 ZX6-R / 2006 Tuono R / 2001 VFR 800 / 2010 Street Triple R / 2013 Speed Triple S / 2017 S1000XR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for the weather to clear up and you can get back into it then.

My advice would be to do a trackday - if you've not done one before you'll be amazed as to what your bike and tyres are capable of.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mooncatt
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem m8. i almost lost the backend of mine and didnt fall off but it was close, i shit myself because if i had come off i would had a nice 50ft drop of the side of the road (crash barrier there though) i wasnt even going that fast. the confidence does come back just keep with it
____________________
current bike...CBR400RR
"you always need more chicken"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
DonTony This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Mooncatt
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i did something similar. just get that bike leant over and whatever happens happens
____________________
current bike...CBR400RR
"you always need more chicken"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do you know why you lost the backend ? if you can find the reason then your can learn from it. If you cant it is harder, maybe consider extra training.

After I totalled a car it did take a while before I could go round corners again it was just practice find a comfatable point and then pushing justa little more on a road you know.

Good luck with it

Regards
Charlotte
____________________
Help fight the safety camera partnerships Twisted Evil -- www.pepipoo.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Huambo81a
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Do you know why you lost the backend ? if you can find the reason then your can learn from it. If you cant it is harder, maybe consider extra training.

After I totalled a car it did take a while before I could go round corners again it was just practice find a comfatable point and then pushing justa little more on a road you know.

Good luck with it

Regards
Charlotte


Hi, thanks for the replys people. In answer to your question Charlotte, yes i do know why i lost the back end, it was a right turn near to the exit of a petrol station at night time. So basically i must have given it too much throttle for the conditions, although at the time it didnt seem too fast (no more than 15mph) and i have taken that corner at that speed thousands of times before. The only conclusion is, that i have been mostly lucky Razz

This seems minor i know, but it has screwed the confidence that i spent 2 years building up, but i`ll just keep riding. Maybe when the roads have improved i can start pushing a little harder without so many variables.
____________________
Present: 2017 KTM Super Adventure S
Past: 97 Bandit 600 / 05 Bandit 1200 / 03 ZX6-R / 2006 Tuono R / 2001 VFR 800 / 2010 Street Triple R / 2013 Speed Triple S / 2017 S1000XR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might help to fit a new back tyre even if its not too worn.
Always helps confidence knowing the rubber is at it's best.
New tyres + dry roads=fun
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, but is a 636 the right bike if your confidence is low?

(Its just I know someone who did DAS, went straight to a Ninja, and has now given it up entirely for similar reaosns)

I had big confidence problems in my first few weeks, but they seem to have all but gone now... (only passed test in sept 06)

I would definitely suggest you get something less radical to build up your skills (and subsequently confidence))
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wilbur
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the conditions is difficult.

I often stop on the main road put the anchors on the front and see what the back wheel does when I put the power on. If its trying to chuck you off be very, very careful..

But the road can change so quickly its not a fantastic test but it gives you a clue.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bunglehaze
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 16 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going through a period of the same thing, most of mine I think stems from thinking there is more wrong with my bike than there is but once those demons creep in they do tend to stick - eh!

I have found though that chucking it about on dry warm(ish) days has seen a bit of an improvement only to leave me wanting to sell my bike and get something I will have more mechanical confidence in. I guess the best thing to do is just keep riding to the best of your abilities, as someone once told me - if you are not confident going into a corner go slower or come off - you will get faster the more you ride. Very true advice from what I have experienced.

cheers

leigh Very Happy
____________________
https://bikechatter.net
Motorcycle Products Reviews and News
06 - ZZR600 > 07 - ZX6R J1 > 08 - ZX6R J2 > 09 - ZX636 A1P > 11 - ZX10R C1H
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 16 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Lost confidence Reply with quote

Huambo81a wrote:
Ever since i lost the back end a few weeks ago (and didnt even fall off) my confidence has vanished, to the point where im actually a danger to myself.


I think we've had our own hairy moments on two wheels. I lock up the rear every so often in the wet and I'm learning to deal with it. The other day however, I got shocked by a car pulling out on me, grabbed a handfull of right-lever and locked up the front. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast and I managed to let go in time and keep it upright, but I spent the rest of the journey making one big *phhhhheeeewwww* noise. All I can suggest is don't let it phase you. Lean from these things, but just keep riding.

I agree with Froggeh about you possibly not having the right bike for the job. I've heard of people doing a DAS, getting something beefy and selling it a few months later because they never felt comfortable. I made a point of buying a sensible bike (ER5) after doing my DAS to ease myself in. I've almost (touch wood) made it through the winter unscathed and a slightly meatier bike is on the cards in the spring if the trend continues. Holding a licence doesn't make you an experienced biker, in the same way that ownership of a camera doesn't make you a good photographer. But maybe (if you're unhappy on the 636) it's time to put it aside and get a CB500 or something for a bit - just until you get comfortable again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.27 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 76.28 Kb