Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

good roads in the south east?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kay-J
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:55 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: good roads in the south east? Reply with quote

i live in london, and i read this msn article with the "10 best roads to ride ona motorbike" and the all seem to be near manchester or in scotland, needless to say far away. i know it will be fun to ride up there, but is there any thing cool that is nearer by?

https://cars.uk.msn.com/Motorbikes/Bikes.aspx?cp-documentid=1202110

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to head out towards the Chilterns; pretty well every road there is fabulous, e.g., A413 (north from A40 towards Amersham and then on towards Aylesbury) and A418 (Aylesbury to Thame).

Rode down to London from Stratford-upon-Avon (about 2.5h, so doable as a ride from London) and the Cotswolds and the Chilterns look stunning this time of the year.

Kay-J
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
You need to head out towards the Chilterns; pretty well every road there is fabulous, e.g., A413 (north from A40 towards Amersham and then on towards Aylesbury) and A418 (Aylesbury to Thame).

Rode down to London from Stratford-upon-Avon (about 2.5h, so doable as a ride from London) and the Cotswolds and the Chilterns look stunning this time of the year.

thanks man, all doabe distances, i'll let you know what i think when i got there

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:38 - 06 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you venture south of london...

From Edenbridge, follow 4 Elms road east and keep going until you reach the A25. Lovely road, watch out for the 2 sharp corners, beautiful constant radius with good surface. There are a few pubs along the way which serve excellent food.

Another great road is the A272, follow it end to end. Its a bit further away, but worthwhile. Once again plenty of picturesque stops and fine places to eat.

Edited: for spelling.

Last edited by natv4 on 18:46 - 03 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:18 - 06 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the A12 from the M25 towards Great Yarmouth.

At the essex end its a pretty boring duel carrage way but as you get closer to Great Yarmouth it beomes a great high speed swooping road, even at the speed limit its still quite fun as the road just seems to flow underneath you without much effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:40 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the a272 is definitely worth a ride
there is even a book written about it

handy tip also... take a day off mid week
clogged roads become fun then, and everyones working

oxfordshire is nice also
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by a video posted by another member, the Camber Sands road looks pretty good.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A29 is quite nice aswell.

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was living down in the South East in Canterbury I used to ride with friends from Ashford, I used to do the A28 or the A259. A259 provides a nice stop off in Rye for breakfast then on to Hastings and on to Brighton for lunch.

There are some good roads down there, some good ones down in Sussex too, but you have to look harder to find them.

I'm from the North East originally and theres far more good roads around there and they are easier to find, but I now live in Glasgow up here in Scotland and it just doesnt compare...so many good options of amazing roads to ride Very Happy .

If you live in London try a visit to the Ace cafe and talk to some of the bikers there to get some inspiration of good routes with good roads to ride.

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MiniMack
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:48 - 28 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A28 rocks - between canterbury and ashford...

it rocked when we were all on 50's and 125's... (few years ago :s)

Even better on the 600's Smile

Also - the seafront route from Dover to Hastings is good - mixture of surfaces and speeds...

I hope this helps Smile

Mackers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1