Manchester Congestion charge approved

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

You missed the point. Through most of the day there are very few people wanting to travel. So from about 10 until 3 they can either park the buses up and pay the drivers to do nothing

No , you missed my point. Agreed, durring the day the buses will maybe need to run once or twice. These routes would obviously run at different times. Some of which would be driven by the same driver.

Bus depot.....route....bus depot...driver gets on different bus...etc

It aint rocket science.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
All these schemes are misguided , in that they are self defeating ,

They say money raised will be spent on public transport , ok , so what if it works?
everybody gets on to public transport , the revenue stream dries up, thus there is....

I don't agree. Public transport systems in other countries seem to work just fine.

Nobody in their right mind would not want less congestion. Money in will obviously remain constant, or rise, but if city centres, and busy roads are made less busy, then that can never be a bad thing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
No , you missed my point. Agreed, durring the day the buses will maybe need to run once or twice. These routes would obviously run at different times. Some of which would be driven by the same driver.

Very true, leaving one hell of a lot of bus drivers sitting around. Those bus routes that you say are only needed once or twice a day will likely be needed in the rush hours, either as well or just at those times.

Rush hour buses are the ones that have large numbers of users. Rest of the day they are just filling time wandering round. Give taxis the same subsidies and they could easily cover those periods, with a far better fuel consumption.

Basically you might have enough demand in rush hour to use 100 buses, while the rest of the day only enough for 10 buses. The other 90 either sit there doing nothing, or drive around pretty much empty.

Not a difficult concept.

froggeh wrote:

Suspect they would swap with one of the dozens of other drivers sitting playing cards waiting for the next commuting time.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:08 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
I don't agree. Public transport systems in other countries seem to work just fine.

At great cost.

froggeh wrote:
Nobody in their right mind would not want less congestion. Money in will obviously remain constant, or rise, but if city centres, and busy roads are made less busy, then that can never be a bad thing

It is if it now takes longer and is more difficult to get into the centre for many travellers.

Try somewhere like Brussels. Large city, and a hell of a lot of cars (Belgians seem to commute a lot further than people in the UK). Better sorted road greatly help. Brussels has loads of tunnels to bypass areas, and the major roads in often split up into multiple tunnels to move traffic to several areas, rather than the UK idea of just dumping all the traffic onto one roundabout to cause a traffic jam.

All the best

Keith

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
froggeh wrote:

Very true, leaving one hell of a lot of bus drivers sitting around. Those bus routes that you say are only needed once or twice a day will likely be needed in the rush hours, either as well or just at those times.

Rush hour buses are the ones that have large numbers of users. Rest of the day they are just filling time wandering round. Give taxis the same subsidies and they could easily cover those periods, with a far better fuel consumption.

Basically you might have enough demand in rush hour to use 100 buses, while the rest of the day only enough for 10 buses. The other 90 either sit there doing nothing, or drive around pretty much empty.

Not a difficult concept.

froggeh wrote:

Suspect they would swap with one of the dozens of other drivers sitting playing cards waiting for the next commuting time.

All the best

Keith

I'm sorry you don't seem to be able to conceptualise what I am saying.
But never mind.

How the hell can a taxi ever be as efficient?

Why can't you understand the concept of having drivers for the time that it takes to drive?
I dunno.
I think you're just being ludicrously stubborn for the sake of it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at what they have done in London.

Firstly they closed off many junctions, put bollards across roads that were releiving pressure off the main routes, Changed whole traffic-systems to exclude private vehicles etc.

Next they dug up almost every single set of traffic lights in the city using "lights-in-a-barrell" that were no timed to work with surrounding lights.

They then waited until they had the majority of the roads clogged-up solid whilst at the same time rolling-out the new congestion charge cameras.

When the system fianlly went live what did they do? They started it during schools half-term so that the traffic was lighter anyway and gave themselves a huge pat on the back and claimed it a roaring success.

A few years on and what's happening now?

Public transport fares have gone sky-high. Not only have tube fares increased but you also get penalised for wanting to pay cash for the underground fare.

Bus-fares are now a minimum of £2 even if you want to go one single stop.

Westminster Council last year declared that they did not regard the motorcycle as having any role to play in the reduction of congestion. This year they are removing ALL free motorcycle parking and putting in charging meters in the bike bays. They now say it's because of the increased number of small bikes on the road trying to beat the charge.

Let's not be naiive about this - it's ALL about the amount of money they can gain in revenue from the motorist. They just keep playing the green card over and again by way of justification.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:39 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

I can easily see what you are saying. I can also easily see the massive hole in the plan.

froggeh wrote:

Because if you are only carrying 1~2 passengers why use a slow 5~10mpg bus when a car would carry them easily and not use anything like so much fuel or road space.

froggeh wrote:
Why can't you understand the concept of having drivers for the time that it takes to drive?

Because you still have to employ them, and you need enough to cope with peak demand. That means either sending them home between the 2 peal period each day (and not many people would want 2 short working sessions each day), you pay loads of them to sit around doing nothing, or you make use of them between the peak periods (which is what currently happens), resulting in loads of useless empty buses.

If you have enough peak passengers for 100 drivers, yet maybe only 25 between 10am and 3pm (to cover all the routes), what do you do with the other 75 for those hours?

I really cannot see how you fail to grasp the concept.

All the best

Keith

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
froggeh wrote:

I can easily see what you are saying. I can also easily see the massive hole in the plan.

froggeh wrote:

Because if you are only carrying 1~2 passengers why use a slow 5~10mpg bus when a car would carry them easily and not use anything like so much fuel or road space.

froggeh wrote:

Because you still have to employ them, and you need enough to cope with peak demand. That means either sending them home between the 2 peal period each day (and not many people would want 2 short working sessions each day), you pay loads of them to sit around doing nothing, or you make use of them between the peak periods (which is what currently happens), resulting in loads of useless empty buses.

If you have enough peak passengers for 100 drivers, yet maybe only 25 between 10am and 3pm (to cover all the routes), what do you do with the other 75 for those hours?

I really cannot see how you fail to grasp the concept.

All the best

Keith

oh dear
I wouldnt run a bus with 1 or 2 people in it.

You are thinking in a very strict 9-5 style methinks.
I would have people work the hours required. Even I have been subject to shift patterns as a programmer. Friends of mine are subject to major weird shift patterns. It really isn't so difficult to implement.

During the morning and evening you have more drivers.
During the afternoon you have less.
The work is shared out however is sensible and fair.
If you really want me to go away and come up with a shift pattern, I probably could.

It worked just fine at my last but 1 job.
90% of support was mon-fri 9-5
But customers wanted people IN THE OFFICE at weekends also
So we had a rota of people who worked the weekend.
Less people.
It worked.
Just fine.

Why make problems up where they just do not exist?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
Itchy wrote:
All these schemes are misguided , in that they are self defeating ,

They say money raised will be spent on public transport , ok , so what if it works?
everybody gets on to public transport , the revenue stream dries up, thus there is....

they are called BIG government subsidies. ie taken from income tax
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Among other things. Of course, but free-flowing city centres and all other roads would benefit everyone.
I wouldn't advocate a free public transport system, but it makes no sense that it's cheaper to run a car.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually kickstart has defeated you,

Kickstart is making perfect sense

you say:

and also

I would have people work the hours required.

Which boils down to 2 solutions:

A-- 2 Short shifts per day

B-- hiring people all day having them sit around doing nothing

You can't just hire 150 staff after 2 hours in the morning send 125 of them home , and ask them to
come back, nobody'd work for you, unless you made it worth their while and factor in the cost of
commuting= increased wages which then costs you more = less profits = fares increase.

Which means B is the only solution ie keeping all 150 on at a lower rate.

which means you have to keep them occupied, being kept busy is very important in work for morale purposes, I worked
for a high pay telephone hot line once , I spent all day waiting for calls , time moved very very slowly and demoralised me
while now I work as a chef and accountant , its tax return season baby , I have so much work to do days seem to
fly by , chef at weekends its busy time flies by.

Remember people are humans it they think they are getting a bad deal they'll go try find something better

Oh and manchester bus companies except on Oxford Road , run an illegal cartel , with a gentlemans
agreement, Stage Coach and First are the only companies which run the non Oxford Road routes,

They were caught abour 4 years ago , in that they would meet before the bidding for routes and agree
not to bid on each others profitable routes. They were caught , nothing was done about it.

Exactly - there should only be one bus company.

Is also flawed , you do realise monopoly is very very bad don't you? , if there is only one bus company C charges
are too high , then the bus company can charge whatever they like , infact last year bus companies already
planned their own congestion charges in reaction to government plans to get people off the roads.

you know like if you are in the desert I have a bottle of water , you have £10000 , I can ask for £10000 for this
bottle of water , you have NO choice,

And as said its always self defeating , they should just be more fucking honest about it ,

you want more revenue , put up income tax , income tax is 96% efficient only 4p per £1 is spent on collecting
it, such schemes are horribly inefficient , create economic distortions and generally have the same negative
political consequences that putting up income taxes do and people really notices these non income taxes.

5 or so yeras ago NI went up 20% hardly anybody noticed , council taxes keep going up , people notice.

thus almost all young working folks will vote Tory next time, since NL has the worst of both worlds.

Tory = lower taxes + cuts

Labour = higher taxes + cuts

My general problem with this gov is their solution to everything is a new tax , no carrot always bloody stick
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:

Let's not be naiive about this - it's ALL about the amount of money they can gain in revenue from the motorist. They just keep playing the green card over and again by way of justification.

I wonder what will happen if they make pub transport & cars so expensive push bikes are the only
affordable solution (pretty much so we look like China in the 1980s) , they'll probably stick tracking
devices on push bikes.

Its all about the revenue , the government want 100% of your pay packet,

Oh I know about this , I feel we are moving backwards , like China in the 1980s , eventually we'll be all put onto
push bikes , the government will lose a massive amount of revenue from IPT , tyres/sevicing /petrol and will be
left in a bigger pile of shit than originally.

Although I don't envisage myself sticking around longer than 2013 or 2015 at the very latest in the UK, I'd
love to hear the transport minister in 2015 try justify his new green (yeah right) taxes on bicycles, since
if cars are too expensive thats 47bn revenue gone. Not including the income taxes from those who work
in the car industry , or the VAT/Corp tax on selling / making of cars.

Its like making people give up smoking , saves lives but somebody has to make up the 10bn short fall in
tax AND pay the pensions.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Among other things. Of course, but free-flowing city centres and all other roads would benefit everyone.
I wouldn't advocate a free public transport system, but it makes no sense that it's cheaper to run a car.

not me , I have inverse congestion speed , the busier the roads , the faster my commute ,

24th Dec , it took me 27 minutes to get home in utter gridlock

3rd Jan took me 45 minutes , with clear roads , I'm kinda surprised.

I'd also say cars = more space , = more shopping space.

= city centre will die , trafford centre = more revenue.

Hell even my company is closing its mancs office forever , on news of this , this moves nearly 200 people + 30 support staff out of the city

A serious case of golden goose syndrome.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Actually kickstart has defeated you,

I don't think so.

Both of you fail to see how easy it is to hire people on a shift system.

I am sure you fit a 35-40 hour week in for each driver.
But even if you couldn't there are many people crying out to work partial weeks.

It really isn't so difficult, unless you make it so.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:39 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

You could, but unless you want them to go home from 10 until 3, having essentially 2 shifts a day and 2 lots of commuting (and while you might get people to do this occasionally, they are not going to do it daily) then you are going to pay for people to sit around doing nothing.

For example, being generous with the "rush hour" and allowing time for sorting vehicles, signing in, briefings, there might be 3 hours work each rush hour. Even working 7 days a week that is merely 21 hours if someone is employed to do one shift a day (and really only 15 with a 5 day week).

Basically it is not workable.

froggeh wrote:
But even if you couldn't there are many people crying out to work partial weeks.

A few certainly, but nowhere near enough of those with suitable skills could afford to do it.

froggeh wrote:

Afraid it is. It is a basic reason why public transport is on a looser.

Imagine how inefficient private motoring would be if you had to employ someone to drive your car round all day while you were at work.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way public transport can possibly work is via the use of AI computers to
drive around everywhere ,unfortunately this still requires a human backup ,
aircraft can take off and land fly across the world and drop bombs in a 1 sq metre
radii , fly back refuel by an aerial tanker land and park itself back into the hanger.

It still requires a pilot for backup since AI can go wrong in the air its not such a big
deal since there are no pedestrians everywhere and or aircraft filtering in super
close proximity.

An AI controlled bus will still require a human backup thus bringing back kickstart's
human employment problem.

Kickstart also does not meantion commuting costs money AND time not all bus drivers live
on the doorstep of the depot (nor would many want to , since the Bolton one is near
hooker city , the Manchester one is in crack alley),

Time be precious money is compensation for time , commuting costs money and yet
does not compensate for time , I did have a boss once who'd pay you for your commutes
and I also get paid for off site work. Such bosses are extremely rare.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:26 - 18 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
Both of you fail to see how easy it is to hire people on a shift system.

I think you are overestimating the number of people wanting to work partial weeks whom fulfill the critera for the job. I wouldn't like to hazzard a guess to how many people would have to drop in wages for your implementation, but I would think unions would step in. No one wants to cut their wages by 3/4 (an under-estimate). They would simply find alternative work. Most bus drivers I know work long hours to ensure they can make enough money to live off.

You could do it for maybe one town, but not the country.

At the end of the day, if you remove bus services, even less people would be able to use them, just for the lack of flexibility...
"If I catch the bus and have to come home early because Timothy is sick, I won't be able to."

The solution: We already have it, kind of. Improve traffic speed as far as possible (light timings, traffic furniture).

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Use multiple forms of transport. Private plays its part. Especially bikes (smaller space in traffic required and smaller space taken when parked).

I like the idea of Keith's merging of buses and taxi's (make taxi's more cost effective outside of peak hours).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevebid
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:45 - 29 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to live in Oldham worked in city centre & trafford Pk.

emigrated to Northern Ireland....no traffic, no cops stalking your every move with fines for small plates & illegal cans, great roads, road racing on proper road 15 times a year, no rip off prices, pubs that never shut....need i go on....heaven!

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:13 - 30 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Manc, but in Newcastle, its the fekking traffic lights that hold everybody up.
The amount of times i have been stuck at one particular crossraods, on a red light, traffic building up behind me. And there is nobody waiting to pull out across you. They are designed/programmed to stop you for no reason.
And the lights sometimes only give a few seconds on green, but the traffic keeps on building up, because the green light does not allow enough time to clear the back log of traffic.
Can't people see, this is deliberate to add more weight to the argument for congestion charging/road pricing. Twisted Evil
The vindictive fekking councillors/government, know exactly what they are doing. they just play on our complacency and ignorance.

If we want real change, either vote for someone other than the top 3 parties, BNP springs to mind, (Take time to read their manifesto before you start brow beating me,) RACISM is not what they are about. PATRIOTISM is. And thats no bad thing.
Or rally for a mass fekking riot in London. They abandoned the poll tax for that reason. And now would be a good time, since most of our troops are out of the country, fighting for these wankers who govern us.
Lets give them something worth coming back for, the RIGHT to our FREEDOM, and the RIGHT to drive on our roads (which we already pay for), without being surcharged. Mad

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:52 - 30 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Manchester Congestion charge approved Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Average car has over 1.5 people in it. Average bus has 9 people. Bus stops to pick people up, bringing traffic to a halt. Buses take long routes so needless travelling. Buses accelerate slowly so less traffic gets over junctions. Buses wander round with no passengers just in case someone wants to use them.

And your statistics come from where?

I used to be a bus driver, and I can assure you that in the morning and evening peak the buses had a lot more than 9 people on board. A full standing load (up to 110 people on some) was far more typical.
Quote:
As such I do not think buses / trams really solve anything. They are just as inefficient, just they have a nicely funded marketing department to keep their subsidies coming.

Most bus services are not subsidised - they're commercial operations, funded purely by the fares that people pay.

What most people want from public transport is reliability. Bus lanes improve it as it reduces the number of queues buses get stuck in - although it just takes one selfish car/van driver or a cyclist to bring things to a halt.

I commute to work by train - a 10 minute walk to the station, a reliable train that usually arrives early, then another 10 minute walk to the office. Total journey time is just over an hour, and the distance is around 75 miles.

Now be honest: when was the last time to went to work by public transport? In a survey, 9/10 of the people moaning about public transport had never used it. So how did they know what it was like?

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:04 - 30 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Manchester Congestion charge approved Reply with quote

KTM Gordo wrote:
And your statistics come from where?

I used to be a bus driver, and I can assure you that in the morning and evening peak the buses had a lot more than 9 people on board. A full standing load (up to 110 people on some) was far more typical.

Department of transport figures. Easy to work out if you want. Divide the total number of bus km by the passenger km by bus each year. Works out at 9 on average. Pretty useless.

KTM Gordo wrote:
Most bus services are not subsidised - they're commercial operations, funded purely by the fares that people pay.

Fuel duty subsidy. About 35p a litre duty reduction on fuel, plus being VAT exempt they can knock a load more off the price.

KTM Gordo wrote:
What most people want from public transport is reliability. Bus lanes improve it as it reduces the number of queues buses get stuck in - although it just takes one selfish car/van driver or a cyclist to bring things to a halt.

Much the same required by everyone else using the roads, which is not helped by closing off substantial bits of the road for use by buses, having bus stops in the road to disrupt traffic flow, etc.

KTM Gordo wrote:
Now be honest: when was the last time to went to work by public transport? In a survey, 9/10 of the people moaning about public transport had never used it. So how did they know what it was like?

Not in years because the service would be useless to me. Even the best quoted time from the web sites trying to show how good public transport is works out at least 30 minutes longer. Used them in Belgium for a while when I worked there. Took far less time to use the car (despite the Brussels bus services being very regular). Used it a few times when I worked in Nottingham. Pretty useless compared to the bike.

All the best

Keith

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:05 - 30 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus lanes cause bottle necks in my opinnion. And are used by 90% of the buses, 10% of the time. I have just started riding a bike, after 5 years of public transport use, and yes, i agree with you KTM. They are busy in peak hours. Sometimes fully loaded. But does that not make them dangerous too? imagine if a bus toppled over on its side, how would people get out if it was resting on the emergency exit? The same goes for commuter trains.
As you say, they are commercially funded, so bus companies want to move the maximum number of people for the minimum cost.
ie, less services.
And trying to get off a bus, when you have to fight your way through standing passengers is a nightmare (not for perverts though i expect) and you do get those sort of people travelling on buses too. Not the first time i have felt the blunt end of someones crown jewels pressed against my arse.
So there are a lot of arguments against bus use, but not many for.
Streamline the buses for those who want them, get rid of the bus lanes, and we will see a marked improvement in congestion.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2