Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Resurrecting mentally deranged fun: early stages.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 26 Apr 2007    Post subject: Resurrecting mentally deranged fun: early stages. Reply with quote

So this project of mine has been going on for a fair few months but progress has been slow recently due to sending parts off to people who like to take their time.

Thought I would start the write up now, as things are beginning to move forward...

I am currently involved in restoring a classic sidecar racing outfit which had been retired from racing and disassembled.

I was lucky enough to meet the guy who'd begun the project and was looking for extra hands/to pass his mechanical know how on to younger people.

Before I knew it, I was frequently popping (just typed pooping Neutral ) around to the back garden workshop of this guy's mate who was also giving a hand with his exceptional fabrication skills, mainly panel beating and welding.

Under the hot summer sun, I spent the majority of my time scraping down the sidecar half of the sidecar frame by hand with a little scrapey thing, which was quite hard work as the thick lead based paint chips often got into my eyes, (had a mask and gloves but no goggles) and the industrial level primer just wasn't gonna come off. But I did the best I could.

So, there were a few cracks in the frame which needed welding equipment beyond what my guy's mate had in his workshop which is where we sent it, and where it's been up until today or tomorrow I believe.

In the meantime, yesterday I picked up the bike half of the sidecar frame and armed with a sheep skinning knife, wire brush and heat gun, I set about scraping the shite off this frame too.

Thought I would take a few photos while I could, and whilst the progress isn't shocking, it's the start of this write up and there is much more to come.

So this is the bike half of the frame when we picked it up:
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/Frame001.jpg

Meh... tried to capture the nature of the paint. Just looks a bit gay:
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/Frame006.jpg

After an hour or so. You can see the adjustable grab rail for the passenger (me! Mr. Green) at the rear, near side of the frame.
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/Frame007.jpg

After an hour or so after the hour or so:
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/Frame010.jpg

So, yeah that's basically it. Tomorrow I'll carry on scraping down the frame, I think it'll probably take me around two days to get it all off. Then we shall send both frames to be x-rayed for weak spots and small cracks.

After that, the real work begins! Very Happy

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 26 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks really cool so far cant wait to see what it'll look like when its all together just wondering how come you dont get the frame shot blasted or is it low budget project. also wire brush attatchment on an angle grinder works great for getting off paint
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 26 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lady doing a project, in Show and Tell, whatever next Laughing

I see that the whole side car thing has bitten you Wink

Bit early to comment on things just yet, but good luck Thumbs Up

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 26 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome Steph, how old is it, and what motor's gonna be powering it? And can you do the restoration naked and with pics Surprised Laughing

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 27 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbi x-treme wrote:
looks really cool so far cant wait to see what it'll look like when its all together just wondering how come you dont get the frame shot blasted or is it low budget project. also wire brush attatchment on an angle grinder works great for getting off paint

Thanks for the comment. The guy who I'm working on it with is pretty insistant to get it done by hand so that any cracks can be spotted and sorted out before it's sent off to be x rayed and then fixed the expensive way.

The scrapey thing and the heat gun work pretty well so it's not too bad. Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy wrote:
A lady doing a project, in Show and Tell, whatever next Laughing

I see that the whole side car thing has bitten you Wink

Bit early to comment on things just yet, but good luck Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot, yeah it certainly has! I never was much of a lady but it's nice being called one! Very Happy

ram_doom wrote:
Thats awesome Steph, how old is it, and what motor's gonna be powering it? And can you do the restoration naked and with pics Surprised Laughing

Hmm... the bike's being built to classic standards which means everything on it has to have been built before 1963 or something like that. The engine is gonna be a Triumph one, I don't know which yet. He did mention it but I was too busy taking the last set of naked pictures for you at the time!

I will find out soon. Thumbs Up

And get the 998! Mmmm.... Twisted Evil

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 27 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MementoMori wrote:

ram_doom wrote:

He did mention it but I was too busy taking the last set of naked pictures for you at the time!

And get the 998! Mmmm.... Twisted Evil

Woah, woah, woah, slow down.

Rambo's getting an R1, not a Ducati.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 19:33 - 27 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I heard was naked pics.

Give to Lee.

Nice project keep up with the pics.

And if ram gets an r1 we can only expect another crash Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 27 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude cant you sanblast that frame?? sorry if this was mentioned Thumbs Up look forward to seeing how it goes!

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 28 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:

https://phobos.tk/stuff/pics/O_RLY/indian.jpg

Neutral Middle Finger

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 28 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram_doom wrote:
McGee wrote:

https://phobos.tk/stuff/pics/O_RLY/indian.jpg

Neutral Middle Finger

Expect? I'm already planning the 'Own3d' pictures.

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 28 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dischord wrote:
dude cant you sanblast that frame?? sorry if this was mentioned Thumbs Up look forward to seeing how it goes!

She is a very manly lady. Much like I am a lady, lady.

I meant a lady man..

I meant a... Aww nevermind. Sad

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 29 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, today the guy came round with the sidecar frame as there are still a few areas with paint still on it.

In the picture, the sidecar frame dwarfs the bike frame but in reality they'll be around the same length when the bike has wheels:
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/Frame011.jpg

My camera seems to be making things larger than life today. This is infact the small gap between the wheel arch and the lip of the frame where my thigh goes when hanging out for left hand bends:
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/Frame012.jpg

Made to measure sidecars FTW!

Most racing sidecars only have an open rear end for the passenger to lean out of, although some, including this one have an open space at the front which is ideal for long, sweeping left handers:
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/Frame013.jpg

It's gonna be interesting going from leaning well over the back of the bike on the right hander, to clambering frantically to the front of the sidecar to get hanging out of that space in time for the consecutive sweeping left hander at the Timaru circuit but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

For Ram and others who may be interested. The engine will be from a 1961 Triumph Tiger T110, which is a 650.

Oh and some really exciting (to me anyway) news!!

The guy who took me around the track a few times in his racing sidecar, which you can read all about here has told the sidecar project guy that he wants me to be an extra sidecar passenger as his normal passenger can't always make it due to his career in the police!

So for a few races of the season, I will step in and do that! Mr. Green So the guy who I'm working on the sidecar with is looking for some boots for me (bike boots are too stiff and not grippy enough) and then we'll be looking at sorting out my licence!
Yay! Mr. Green

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 08:45 - 29 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome about the racing Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 29 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got any pics or ideas on what that frame and side car unit will look like when finished?

From the little that I have seen it looks quite a flat riding position like a Superman pose, could this be made road legal Thinking.

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 29 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't too many pictures of classic sidecar racing that I can find, not quickly anyway.

I found these that give a rough idea of what I assume it'll look like but I couldn't find any at decent angles so they're a bit obscure.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/sidecar1.jpg

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/ilikeforks/sidecar2.jpg

I wish these things could be made road legal, flipping heck, that would be great!

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 03:49 - 05 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be intense to take you and a mate on a ride out like that Laughing Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:37 - 06 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can and have been made road legal.

Guy in my town (Silloth, was a famous sidecar racing venue when that bike was new) used to have a BSA A65 kneeler outfit that was road registered. People used to ride them to races with all their spares piled up on the platform (seriously!).

Wish I'd seen (looked at) this thread before, could have saved you hours of work. Nitromorse on the paint will take it right back to bare metal. Just brush it on thick, wait for 10 minutes then brush the now loose and flaky paint off with a stiff floor brush then give it a wash down.

Of course, what you really want is a Hillman Imp engine for it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:47 - 06 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of sidecars do seem to be road registered in the UK - presumably because there's not many test days you can try out a little engine tweak etc.

Gpz 900R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 07 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just read this,good luck with the project, in the past when stripping frames i have just covered them in lashings of nitromors and then jet washed them,usually gets most of it off without stressing the frame.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1