Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How can I check if my helmet is okay?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: How can I check if my helmet is okay? Reply with quote

I had a minor accident the other day - dropped my Fazer trying to U-turn on a hill with loose gravel...would have been moving at less than 10mph when I went down. I think it was a fairly violent fall though - I lost the front end and fell sideways. Bike landed on top of me and I've got a great big bruise on my leg, and then I bumped my head on the road. The fall also snapped a mirror which withstood two drops from 0mph when the sidestand wasn't as down as it should have been.
It didn't feel like much of an impact but then the helmet would cushion it. I could have sworn I hit the side of my head but the visible damage to the helmet is on the aerodynamic protrusion from the rear (I have a Shoei X-Spirit), but not on the round shell itself. There's some little chips in it including one maybe a milimetre or three deep.
Is it likely to have taken much internal damage, and how can I find out?
I really can't afford to replace it without knowing I need to, as I suspect it's ok.

Thanks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You suspect it's OK, but you'll only know for sure when you have your next crash. Willing to take the risk? If funds are low buy a cheap one to tide you through. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:59 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not a way to get it professionally examined?
It cost me £415 and I've only been riding for a few weeks, plus I'm in absolutely dire financial straits at this moment in time. So you can understand my reluctance to consign it to the scrapheap. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:38 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2314

That might do the trick, but then if the light turns red it's just a waste of another £20. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that looks like just the trick. Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I've just had a look inside the helmet. The squishy bit (seems a bit like extra-malleable, tough polystyrene) on the inside of the helmet seems to be damaged in a couple of places - no more than a centimetre squared in each case. It's got the same thickness, but on the surface it's like it's been pushed in...it's a little softer than the rest.
Does this mean it's scrap?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SonicTheHedge...
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:11 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly, but depending on the manufacturer you may be able to get it tested.
An ex of mine was able to send her lid back to Arai (I think it was, anyway) and get it X-rayed, who then pronounced it fit for purpose.
____________________
Previous: '00 G2 Bandit 600 Naked. Now: '08 BMW GS Adventure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:12 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would get it replaced

i have a few marks on my helmet but no indentations and im going to get a another helmet and keep his for work. Because other people on my course think its fun to try on and hide my helmet also slap it ARGGGGGG it makes me so angry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry about that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:14 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it on and get a like minded mate to put his on.

Stand at each end of a hallway/living room or corridor and charge each other head first.

If you wake up in hospital I guess its broken Crying or Very sad
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:16 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
Quite possibly, but depending on the manufacturer you may be able to get it tested.
An ex of mine was able to send her lid back to Arai (I think it was, anyway) and get it X-rayed, who then pronounced it fit for purpose.


I've heard about Arai X-raying helmets, but not Shoei. Maybe I'll ring them up tomorrow. I'm guessing that I'm not putting myself in mortal danger by riding with it in the meantime, as the likelihood of hitting my head in exactly the same spot as last time is miniscule and as it was a very low speed impact (my body absorbed the majority of the fall, my head just bounced into the floor after I hit the ground) it will have most of the protection left in that spot anyway?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:21 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick606 wrote:
i would get it replaced

i have a few marks on my helmet but no indentations and im going to get a another helmet and keep his for work. Because other people on my course think its fun to try on and hide my helmet also slap it ARGGGGGG it makes me so angry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry about that


You share campus grounds with the local primary school?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Put it on and get a like minded mate to put his on.

Stand at each end of a hallway/living room or corridor and charge each other head first.

If you wake up in hospital I guess its broken Crying or Very sad


Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:36 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the people doing the same course as me could be mistake for 6 year olds
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:04 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The polystyrene acts a s a cushion to stop the impact mashing your brain. The outer shell is what stops the polystyrene disintegrating on impact. If that is damaged in any way then the shell could split and the rest of the helmet would follow.

Sounds like you have got an expensive paper weight now. I would get a cheaper lid until you have mastered U-turns. Wink
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm...I've just had a look inside the helmet. The squishy bit (seems a bit like extra-malleable, tough polystyrene) on the inside of the helmet seems to be damaged in a couple of places - no more than a centimetre squared in each case. It's got the same thickness, but on the surface it's like it's been pushed in...it's a little softer than the rest.
Does this mean it's scrap?

As I understand it if the polystyrene on the inside is indented then you should get it replaced I'm afraid.

To find out if some sort of service is offered to check over the helmet you would be best off contacting the importers Feridax. https://www.feridax.com/index.php

Or go back to where you bought your helmet (or a good reputable dealer nearby) and see if they can check it as they may have had training for such a problem.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks...
Well I just spoke to the shop I ordered it from (all the way over in Essex, should be a nice ride) and he says they can send it off to be X-rayed. Of course I'd still need a new helmet in the mean time, so he's going to order in an XR-1000 for me and then I'll go pick it up and leave this with them. £216...a lot less of a sting in the pocket than the X-Spirit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a reasonable hat for a ton. It will not have the high fashion lable on it though. £450 and £216 seems a waste on a hat if you are still struggling with U-turns and keep dropping it.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself an HJC CS-12—just as good, protection-wise, as a Shoei, but £80 instead of silly money.
Especially if you fall over during a U-Turn man, come on.
____________________
the warped one: This is a follow up from the thread 'my willy hurts'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Put it on and get a like minded mate to put his on.

Stand at each end of a hallway/living room or corridor and charge each other head first.

If you wake up in hospital I guess its broken Crying or Very sad



me and a mate have done this before, we we're cleaning out a loft for a family friend and found two lids that looked like something from the 70's.

So down stairs we went and tried out the crash test................

Man the padding in 30 odd year old lids is shit, GOD did it hurt!!!!

But no hospital so to McGee's standards they should have been ok for road use Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to Hein Gericke today, showed the damage on the inside to the manager who I know quite well - he said it was completely useless, may aswell bin it.
Of equal concern, he said the helmet I had was clearly far too big. So I suppose this was like a blessing in disguise and it's a good thing I've got a new helmet that fits properly. I've got an Arai Chaser now...it's actually a lot more comfortable and a lot quieter (and cheaper). It's just a better lid overall.

Re. dropping the bike on u-turns, I think the main problem is that I can only reach the ground on tiptoes making stop/start balance much more difficult than it should be. The fact that the road I used was a hill with a worse than usual camber and had loose gravel of course made this much worse. My bike control is very good overall. I never ever dropped or nearly dropped a 125 in 1000 miles and I'm a far better rider now than I was then.
I might look into getting the seat lowered, but I understand it can be fairly expensive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alpine
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

repiV wrote:
Well I went to Hein Gericke today, showed the damage on the inside to the manager who I know quite well - he said it was completely useless, may aswell bin it.
Of equal concern, he said the helmet I had was clearly far too big. So I suppose this was like a blessing in disguise and it's a good thing I've got a new helmet that fits properly. I've got an Arai Chaser now...it's actually a lot more comfortable and a lot quieter (and cheaper). It's just a better lid overall.

Re. dropping the bike on u-turns, I think the main problem is that I can only reach the ground on tiptoes making stop/start balance much more difficult than it should be. The fact that the road I used was a hill with a worse than usual camber and had loose gravel of course made this much worse. My bike control is very good overall. I never ever dropped or nearly dropped a 125 in 1000 miles and I'm a far better rider now than I was then.
I might look into getting the seat lowered, but I understand it can be fairly expensive.


I rode my XR125 for 8 thousand miles in 6 months.. dropped it once.

Got my FMX650 a month ago and dropped it. Have done 3 1/2 thousand on that. Yeh, i ride a fucking lot.

"My bike control is very good overall. I never ever dropped or nearly dropped a 125 in 1000 miles and I'm a far better rider now than I was then."

Not having a go, but you have so much to learn and 1,000 miles is fuck all.

edit: "I might look into getting the seat lowered, but I understand it can be fairly expensive."

If you can afford almost £700 in just helemts then im sure you can afford that..

Middle Finger
____________________
Current bike - FMX650.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DaveH
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about claiming it on your house insurance policy?
____________________
https://www.timhastingsracing.co.uk/

ZX7R & ER6F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:10 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpine wrote:

I rode my XR125 for 8 thousand miles in 6 months.. dropped it once.

Got my FMX650 a month ago and dropped it. Have done 3 1/2 thousand on that. Yeh, i ride a fucking lot.

"My bike control is very good overall. I never ever dropped or nearly dropped a 125 in 1000 miles and I'm a far better rider now than I was then."

Not having a go, but you have so much to learn and 1,000 miles is fuck all.


That's incredibly obvious and has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a much better rider now than I was in the first couple of weeks after I got my CBT on the third try, when I was riding a 125.

Quote:

edit: "I might look into getting the seat lowered, but I understand it can be fairly expensive."

If you can afford almost £700 in just helemts then im sure you can afford that..

Middle Finger


What's with the attitude?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:11 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveHogg wrote:
Have you thought about claiming it on your house insurance policy?


Yeah...£350 excess...no real point sadly. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaveH
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

repiV wrote:
DaveHogg wrote:
Have you thought about claiming it on your house insurance policy?


Yeah...£350 excess...no real point sadly. Sad
Shocked Ouch!

Was lucky, mines is only £60.
____________________
https://www.timhastingsracing.co.uk/

ZX7R & ER6F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.93 Kb