Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Got a Yamaha YBR125 on the way.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Got a Yamaha YBR125 on the way. Reply with quote

I needed a bike for commuting so I was looking at 125's. I don't really like scooters so was looking at Honda CGs, Suzuki Ens and Yamaha YBRs. I wasn't actually planning on getting one straight away but my local Yamaha had a pair of 2006 YBR125s for £1695 with the free insurance. Needless to say I left a deposit. I have my CBT booked for July 5th and will pick the bike up on the Saturday after.
The main thing I need help on is top boxes because unfortunately I am going to have to have one. I can't find any specific ones for the YBR but I assume the Givi universal mounting plate will fit fine on the Yamaha?
Any other advise is also gratefully received.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i had to have a top box on my YBR. Used it for a month and took it off. IMO it completely throws the balance of the bike, especially if you have heavy things like chains sliding around the back.

i'd use a rucksack instead, much comfier and better distribution of weight and airflow over the bike resulting in better handling.

Givi should work if you really want to.


You will be wanting to replace those tyres before long (there bollocks) look at getting a pair of SAVA MC7's really good tyres and have never let me down, fantastic in the wet and half as expensive as the michelin pilot sporty's at just £40 a pair...


good luck with the topbox

If you need any info PM me Wink
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spoon261
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:40 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have the Yamaha, but also have had problems with back boxes and handling.

As a result, I always use a seat bag. No handling problems and not effected by wind.
Only problem is your legs have to be flexible to get on and off the bike, unless you find a curb.

I have put massive amounts of weight in the seat bag and experienced no handling problems (the seat is designed to take a humans weight).

Other ideas, panniers and tank bag?
Panniers put the weight in the right place but will catch the wind.
The tank bag will put the weight in the wrong place.

But anything’s better than on the rack (weight behind the back wheel is very bad).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

johns
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they nice bikes i have never seen one YBR125 Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

johns
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cg 125 are good to ride Thumbs Up Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant bikes when tyres are replaced. like all 4t bikes are a bit small, but this features an overhead cam, so acceleration isnt a problem. Hence im about to go 1up on the front to try and get a bit more top speed, hopin for an extra 10mph Wink (so hopefully get 75 comfortably and 80 at a push.




some pics i took of mine the other day...


https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/dalemckeown/Photo-0370.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/dalemckeown/Photo-0367.jpg
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortuantely mine will be red, the only colour they had left. Does the front screen make any difference?
I am also intending to do my full licence in the following months as I believe my theory is still valid from my car test. Would I be able to take the test on the YBR and is it possible to do the test with no extra lessons?
Another question I have is about power and torque. I can find the 2005 specs which claim 12hp and 11.6nm and the 2007 specs claim 10hp and 9.6nm. What does the 2006 produce?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry mate, you HAVE to do a motorbike theory test, got mine in thursday (again) which is much harder than the car test.


Red is good but black is better Laughing

Yeah the screen makes a big difference, reduces the wind hitting you when you take the bike for a hoon Wink and keeps the front end down (maybe thats why i cant do wheelies, lol)

you can get a red screen for the ybr, not as good looking but does the job and looks better than putting the black sports screen on the bike:

https://accessories.yamaha-motor-europe.com/files/images/EU/2D7W071000RD_HR.jpg
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 produces 12bhp, its the same as the 2005 spec. And yes they did tone down the 2007 model but god know why. Whle they were at it they changed the zorst and made it fuel injection, so im guessing they reduced the BHP because it wont be restricted in the carb anymore.

Gotta get my carb off and see if there is something restricting the airflow....


And yes you can do the test on the YBR, but will probably fail if you dont have extra lessons....there is alot to learn about motorbikes Wink
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
2006 produces 12bhp, its the same as the 2005 spec. And yes they did tone down the 2007 model but god know why. Whle they were at it they changed the zorst and made it fuel injection, so im guessing they reduced the BHP because it wont be restricted in the carb anymore.

Gotta get my carb off and see if there is something restricting the airflow....


And yes you can do the test on the YBR, but will probably fail if you dont have extra lessons....there is alot to learn about motorbikes Wink


Thanks for the advice. I'll look into a screen, how much did it set you back? I might leave it a bit before considering taking lessons and doing a test now that I know I can't use my car theory.
Is your small sticky L plate on your mudguard technically legal? If it is I will try and find one as it looks a lot better than having one stuck out the side.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgirv
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motorcycle theory test is exactly the same as the car theory test, aside from a couple of motorcycle related questions such as lifesavers and the like. I wouldn't really worry too much if you passed your car theory.

Do you know anyone who rides and has passed their test. If you are also planning to do your test, it is usually a good idea to get someone to ride with you and evaluate your riding and spot your mistakes for you. Or you could book a lesson to see what they say.

As for the top box, on a small and light bike you would be much better buying one of those Oxford bags that you can bung on the rear rack. You can also use these as a rucksack if you so desire but it will look rather strange.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-luggage/seat-bag-anime.gif

I picked mine up for £25 a while ago. I am sure you can find one for a similar price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattgirv wrote:

As for the top box, on a small and light bike you would be much better buying one of those Oxford bags that you can bung on the rear rack. You can also use these as a rucksack if you so desire but it will look rather strange.


I picked mine up for £25 a while ago. I am sure you can find one for a similar price.


The problem is I need to leave things like my helmet with the bike and the top box appears to be the only semi secure option.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattgirv, i passed my car theory with 33 and failed my bike theory with 29. Believe me its a much different test.

seriosly mate, dont go for the top box. There is always another option. i leave my lid in an unused office while at college, and in the office at work. People wont tuoch it if you tell them not to.

Failing that you can get a lidsafe, or even chain your lid to your back wheel.

You dont need a topbox.


Wink
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgirv
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always stick a padlock inbetween the zips so they can't undo it. Sure they could cut into it or rip it but in all honesty a top box probably wouldn't be inpenatratable either.

Dale, fair enough if you got less marks. Most of the questions in the test are the same, just reworded or altered for bikes. The scenarios are the same, and for the most part so are the answers. All I can say is I took my car theory first and passed. I took my bike theory test and passed. I didn't find the questions a struggle and didn't have any expectations as to the questions.

I'd advise against locking your helmet to your bike, I used to do it and two things happened.

1) Someone reversed over my bike, the lid was also obviously ruined, had a clean hole in it where the footrest went through it.
2) I had some stupid kid kick it as he walked past, I saw him from way down the road as I was heading back to my bike. I didn't get a chance to catch him up.

I knew there was a possibility of the first one happening, but as for the second it was all rather petty to think someone would go out of their way to destroy something that isn't theirs. I now know better.

Worst comes to the worst, you can always get a decent rucksack and just carry your lid around in that. Works for me on occasions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattgirv, i think i was very unlucky in my bike theory then.

i'd say half the questions were directly linked to bikes, asking questions about lifesavers. I ven got one which asked the possibilities of widing in cold, wet weather. all 5 possibilities could have been the correct answer and i had several questions like this.

the possible anwsers were something like:
Get wet and cold
Decreased concentration
Decreased reactions
Decreased stopping distance
Slippy road surface


It woulc have Been any of those answers IMO.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spoon261
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting any weight on the back rack is a bad idea. The weight is behind the back wheel, this is very bad for handling. If you put too much weight on it, the handle bars will shake all over the place, it depends on the bike, but we could be talking about only 5 kg before the bike becomes un usable. Even if you keep the weight down, the handling will be upset, especially going round roundabouts.

Does your bike have a helmet lock? Most do, simply lock the helmet to it, make sure your helmet is a cheap pile of rubbish that no one wants to nick though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale. Honest to god there is nothing restricting airflow in your carb. The probably is that it is a antiquated 125cc 4 stroke. You will not make it go faster.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudgun
Nova Slayer



Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
mattgirv, i think i was very unlucky in my bike theory then.

i'd say half the questions were directly linked to bikes, asking questions about lifesavers. I ven got one which asked the possibilities of widing in cold, wet weather. all 5 possibilities could have been the correct answer and i had several questions like this.

the possible anwsers were something like:
Get wet and cold
Decreased concentration
Decreased reactions
Decreased stopping distance
Slippy road surface


It woulc have Been any of those answers IMO.


Wouldn't have been decreased stopping distance...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgirv
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I weigh just under 11 stone. I had the Oxford bag on the back full with maps/clothes/food/drink, a full 5l jerry can strapped behind it on the passenger seat, and a tent and sleeping bag above that.

I rode about 600 miles that weekend and had no problems at all with stability or floaty handling. I did however adjust the preload so it was a tad stiffer. Whether or not that made a lot of difference however I do not know as I did not try it with the default settings.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kurt
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never leave my helet on my bike. Odds are it'll get soaked inside if it rains or someone will bang into it and you'll be riding around wearing a dodgy lid without knowing it.

Instead of a top box though try a cargo net - I use one (cost £4) and I strap my bag to the pillion seat / rack and it's fine.
____________________
- Current Bike: Honda Varadero 125 -
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah toby, i know, but i like to have a poke round and see whats happening.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.43 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 110.72 Kb