Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


CBT or DAS in your opinon?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ricki_diego
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: CBT or DAS in your opinon? Reply with quote

Couple of questions =)

Aged 21, old enough to do DAS now but I'm not sure weather to jump right onto a 400(maybe 600) or take it slow and start on a 125.

I've pulled off on my friend’s bandit 600 before off a road and it seems fine, but that didn't include any obstacles obviously =)

Most importantly I’d respect the power of any bike I’d get on, as it would be my first time but I was wondering about your opinions on success rate if I just went ahead and did my das?

1. How did all of you older novice riders do, when you just did your das with no prior experience?

I’d obviously do the beginners 5-6 day course.

2. Is their anywhere where I can have a free tution lesson to see how comfortable I am on a bike free of charge? No cbt no das?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:03 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Re: CBT or DAS in your opinon? Reply with quote

Ricki_diego wrote:
How did all of you older novice riders do, when you just did your das with no prior experience?

2. Is their anywhere where I can have a free tution lesson to see how comfortable I am on a bike free of charge? No cbt no das?


1. I did my CBT bought an old 125, rode around on that for a few months to get some confidence and miles under my belt, until I felt ready to move onto the bigger bikes and take my test. Because I already had experience on a 125, I only needed 2 days DAS on the 500's and passed my test first time.
The few months experience on the 125 was invaluable and worked very well for me. I personally would have found doing the whole lot in 5 days...overwhelming, but then ......everyone is different.

2. If you ring round the training schools, you might get someone to give you a free assessment ride.

Good Luck whatever you decided to do. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:59 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to do a cbt before i could do my das anyway so that was kind of a trial. it cost £99 for the cbt but that was refunded when i booked the full das.
____________________
Current : '08 Yamaha FZ1s
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:07 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was such a long time ago since I did my original car test ('89) that I had to start from scratch...
Theory, hazard perception, assessment, CBT then DAS.

My local bike school did a free assessment of ability on the understanding that you booked the full DAS if they considered you suitable, and the length of the DAS would be advised on the outcome of the assessment (if all that makes sense?)

The only family member that had ever been a biker was my grandfather (who died years ago), and I didn't know any bikers at the time either. I'd never even sat on a motorbike until the morning of my DAS.
Just for the record the theory, hazard perception, CBT and DAS, I passed them all first time Thumbs Up

...so if I can do it, anyone can!
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bardeey
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You WILL have to do the CBT before you do your DAS anyway.

So take the CBT as your training session because you can mess up as much as you want and still pass.. My friend fell off his bike on a roundabout and still passed.
____________________
:: P Speedfight 49cc => Gilera DNA 124cc => Suzuki Bandit GSF V 400cc ::
:: CBT=Passed 07/08/05 :: Theory=Passed 31/05/07 :: Practical= Passed 02/08/07::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say do DAS just from my experience.

I did 6 months on my 125 then DAS and failed first time for overtaking a stationary bus that started to pull out after I had started to overtake it.

The other guy on the DAS course had only done DAS, no previous riding experience and passed first time.

I think instructors are very good and will get you to the standard required for the test from scratch. I'm not sure of the benefits of months of riding experience on a 125 (in terms of just getting through the test, as opposed to "real-world" safety) in my case I think it made me under-cautious.

If you do fail first time with DAS-only then you've only invested 500-600 quid and 3 days as opposed to bike/insurance cost and 6 months of time + the 400 quid odd for a 2-day DAS.

Personally I don't think 6 months of riding before doing DAS helped me, but like they say everyone is different. I'd probably be saying it did help me if I'd have passed first time!

As for getting experience on a 125 before moving on to 500cc, I'd say not necessary, I found the 500s easier to ride than my 125, smooth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:06 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bardeey wrote:
My friend fell off his bike on a roundabout and still passed.


That's pretty amazing. Got any details? Somehow totally unavoidable?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do CBT first.

It's also the perfect way of spendinga day getting used to being on a bike, and like others have said, you'd have to run over a school trip party (and a kitten) to not pass the CBT.

I also don't think you will 'jump straight onto a 500' with DAS, usually the school will judge on your CBT how much DAS training you will need, and the first few lessons will be on a 125.

My place doesn't actually even let you onto the 500s until you show test standard on a 125.

DAS does seem expensive, but it's (usually) well structured to prepare you fully for passing your test on a 500.

Call a few schools and talk to them about it, if they're worth their salt they'll be happy to discuss it with you and explain everything.

Mudskipper Mr. Green
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your CBT, see how it goes.

I assume the question you really meant to ask was restricted license or DAS?

If it was then you may as wel just go DAS and take it steady for 6 months to a year, or get something like a 400 as a first bike.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bardeey
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

flimbar wrote:
Bardeey wrote:
My friend fell off his bike on a roundabout and still passed.


That's pretty amazing. Got any details? Somehow totally unavoidable?


Shes a Black Thunder crew member for a local radio station and was doing it as part of a promotion advertising the local motoring school. She was on a scooter and slipped on a wet drain and cars were having move around her.. Quite funny seeing as she was all logo'ed up.

Bad luck really apart from the instructor reminding her to avoid ALL drains.
____________________
:: P Speedfight 49cc => Gilera DNA 124cc => Suzuki Bandit GSF V 400cc ::
:: CBT=Passed 07/08/05 :: Theory=Passed 31/05/07 :: Practical= Passed 02/08/07::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

giftedbean
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yer cbt done m8 then yer theory test then book your das and remember next october the test is gonna be a lot harder so get the cbt done NOW Laughing give yourself 2 or 3 months on a 125 then book your theory and das you dont wanna be doin that harder test next october
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ricki_diego
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard stories about the test becoming harder? what changes are they making?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 12 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricki_diego wrote:
i have heard stories about the test becoming harder? what changes are they making?


Just found this on Google.

A translation here Mr. Green

Interesting DAS proposals in 2012 Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Honda babe
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 12 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somep people I know did their CBT and totally failed. The guy wouldnt even let them on the main roads.

Im doing mine on the 30th hopefully
____________________
Its nice to be important but more important to be nice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ironmike
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 13 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricki,

I'm in the same position as you, except a bit longer in the tooth Sad See my thread in the new bikers section entitled first bike big bike as there is some helpfull advice from people in there about jumping onto something special to start off with.

I'm personally not going to be tottering around on a 125 for a few months after passing (hopefully) my DAS. How big a bike i get is still in question, but my (perhaps naive) view is that if you are sensible with it, and spend a few months getting used to the power, then you should be ok.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ricki_diego
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 13 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for all the comments guys , great enviroment on here.

talking to a friend biker he's been riding for years he said the only problem with me getting a 125 first is i wont have it long enough and i'd want to get rid of it as soon as i bought it.

he feels confedent i'd be fine on a bigger bike as he know's i'm boring and sencible =p

ironmike ill take a look see if i can find that thread, sounds interesting
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tash
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 18 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 13 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did my cbt which also acted as an assesment...my instructor thought i would only need 2 days training to pass my das. i did the whole thing in 2 weeks..i thought of getting a 125 to get practice on but to be honest i think the honda 500 that i did my training on was a lot easier n more balanced than a 125..i also thought it would give me less chance to pick up any bad riding habits..anyway i passed first time and all went to plan.. i have been driving a car for years though and i do think that helps Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ricki_diego
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 13 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if driving a car helps , i used to drive about just over 900 miles a week , motorway and country lanes mainly.

been on the back of my friends bandit 600 alot , so i understand this leaning business . just have never put it into practice with me holding the handle bars!.

he does try and scare me alot see if i tense up etc.but to be honest i feel very relaxed watching him over take traffic with me on a back.

I do see this as a good thing , and at the same time because i'm quite a sencible person most likly i'd be taking it extremly slow. .which makes me think just to jump onto a 600 and respect what i've got .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Giffer2
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a plan, do a CBT last November, buy a 125 ride it around for a good few months and then do a test this summer, take it easy over the summer and then look at a bigger bike next year.

It kinda worked, I did my CBT last November, the rest was kinda compressed into a much smaller time frame (March before I hurt my shoulder!)

In my office at work (6 of us) 4 of us are bikers,

1 did CBT, then DAS, failed his DAS and at the moment runs around on a 125 with the intention of doing a test on his brothers bandit.

1 did CBT, then DAS and passed, he is now a hobbit on a bandit.

1 has just done his CBT and has his DAS booked.

I did CBT, 6 months on a 125 then did A2 test.
____________________
Mar 2007 - Varadero XL125v7, May 2007 - SV650S
17/05/07 - A2 Test Passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

abs
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 15 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the 4 day cbt, das and passed first time. Thought the 500s were so much easier to drive, balance and smoothness, didnt enjoy the day on the 125 but the 2 days on the 500 were great, just everything is better about them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just hijack this thread a bit?

I have a similar kind of "which choice?" problem.

I turn 21 next February and currently have a CBT. Do you reckon I should ride a 125 with Ls on till I'm 21, then do my DAS to get the full unrestriction, or should I do the Restricted Access now and get a weaker bike for 2 years?

I'm assuming (as this is what I've read everywhere) that if I want any bike when I'm 21, I'll have to take the DAS regardless of having a Restricted Access license. (unless I wait 2 years obviously)

I think the 125 for a while will be good to build my road skills and confidence, but then I keep hearing how I'll get annoyed at the lack of power and wish to upgrade straight away.

So what would you do?
7 months on a 125 followed by DAS, or Restricted Access now followed by DAS 7 months down the line. (or just stick with the RA for 2 years)
There are obvious financial barriers too as I'm a student. This is what worries me about doing both the RA and the DAS and having to get a bigger bike initially.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

marc5180
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 07 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 15 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv done my Das and passed today first time. I did my CBT 3 weeks ago with my theory in between and passed on an er500. Id defo go for the DAS rather than the 125 but thats just my 2 pennies worth
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ricki_diego
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:02 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC that's exactly what i am thinking ..."which way is cheaper" im a student to so it would be nice to save moeny =)

i'm assuming it'l jsut depends on how fast you learn as if you fail that's money down the drain anyway?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ricki_diego
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:11 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC that's exactly what i am thinking ..."which way is cheaper" im a student to so it would be nice to save moeny =)

i'm assuming it'l jsut depends on how fast you learn as if you fail that's money down the drain anyway?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisb27
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: DAS for me Reply with quote

Hey all,

I decided in March this year that i wanted to do my bike course. After discussions with my uncle who has 25 years riding experience and also my local bike tutors i decided on the DAS. I had my CBT on a 125cc and then the following week completed my course on a ER-5 a 500cc machine. I discussed the other options, but this was the best for me. With a bigger bike you can often get yourselves out of a situation where you could be at risk. But also, if you still dont feel confident enough to ride a bigger machine you can still get a 125 or a 250 if you want.
With the DAS course it is slightly more expencive but when you have completed it you have more options. I completed my whole course from CBT through 12 hours of lessons and my test (with no minors) within a 2 week period. This cost me around £550.00 including all my test fees and bike hire.
At first i doubted i would be ready to hit the road, but with all things, the real learning to ride or drive is when you have passed your test and your out on your own.
In my opinion you cannot buy experience. The choices are yours at the end of the day but i cannot express my gratitude to the people who trained me, at short notice at times that suited me. If your interested to know the name of this company, drop me an email and i will let you know.

I have now bought me a Honda Hornet faired version to learn on and i have done around 8000 miles since March when i bought it. In 12-24months time i think i will have enough road experience to buy a newer bigger bike.

Hope this is of help to anyone wanting some advice

Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.8 Kb