Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Couple of Questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Steven_85
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 03 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Couple of Questions Reply with quote

1. When am out on my bike and I come across speed humps on the road.
The one's which I guess you can say are split into big squares, 1 on your side and one on the other.
so in between them is normal road.
If there is no traffic coming I normally just cut up in between them so don't have to ride over it,
My bike doesnt' have the best suspension.
But if I was out on a lesson or a test would that be seen as abad thing to do?.

2. When coming to a junction or stopping at lights, I used to put my right foot down and have my left foot resting on the foot rest.
I started noticing other bikers having there left foot down and there right one on the rest.So now I do the same.

Is there a right or wrong way to this?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right footrest has the rear brake, assuming you ride a geared bike, when stopped you should keep your rear brake on.

Not sure on the offial take on speed bumps, I know the type you mean and they can be quite vicious, what sort of speed do you take them at? I would imagine you should go over them, unless it'd be dangerous to, since they usually try to drop your speed for a reason (nearby school etc.) before taking a test if theres a lot in your area find out what speed you can take them at comfortably, when I go over unavoidable rough patches I find standing on my pegs helps, rather than sitting on the seat.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GeorgeCBR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure about 1, but 2, its the safety position i believe, right foot on the brake and left foot on the floor, curbside. I think its so the bike doesnt roll forwards or back, and so that you have a balanced position, and full control. Not entirely sure, so don't take my word. but it seems logical.
____________________
|| Ride - Kawasaki Z1000 & Honda Bali 50 || Theory - Passed || Practical - Passed ||

Previous || Suzuki Bandit 600N - Honda CBR 125 - Gilera Runner 50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, on the second Q., if your foot slips you fall towards the pavement, and not oncoming traffic Thumbs Up
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steven_85
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 03 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do now but when I first started riding I use to use my front brake when stopped.

As it's normally in a 30 speed limit these humps are in, I say I would just go a little bit slower by just dabbing the brake and riding over.

I thought it may be classed as bad riding, but just wanted to make sure so that I don't do it when/if am on a test.

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a lot studying for my test and came across this, you can go round the right hand side of them bump if there's no danger or causing oncoming traffic to change speed or direction, round the left if there's no pedestrians or cyclists you may encounter.

On the footpeg note, I use front brake when stopped as my bike hasn't got the longest gear range in first I change instantly into second using my right foot to balance, not worrying about the rear brake, As Far As I know, you can't fail the test for this, and it can't be illegal as you are in full control of the bike either way
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Catalyst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what Steve says. Mine has a short 1st gear and it's impossible for me to have the left foot down. I usually go around speed bumps if it's safe to do so.

Jack Thumbs Up
____________________
|--Previous--|:2007 Aprilia SX50...Neutral--Current--|: 2007 Kawasaki ER-6N
SlimRick - I can cook really well - but it's a useless skill, as I'm not a woman and it's their fucking job!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In respect of the speed cushions, provided you do not cause approaching traffic to alter course or speed, and you do not cross over or straddle a solid centre white line system, there is absolutely no problem with riding between them.

As far as the use of the rear brake is concerned, it is a DSA requirement that the examiner wants to see the rear brake is being covered when the bike is stationary. They argue that it allows learner riders to afford a better display of control and ensures that the machine will not roll backwards before moving off from stationary, particularly prior to commencing the hillstart.

However, once through the test, and if you go on to take advanced training, then right foot (brake side) goes to ground unless road camber, design of the bike or rider for that matter prevents the right foot being put down as it avoids the Hendon Shuffle (changing feet to select gears and then back to covering the brake again). It allows for neutral gear to be selected easier and quicker thereby making for a quicker and smoother getaway, and it also shows good control of the front brake and throttle.

However as I said, some people have short legs, some have small hands so it all comes down at the end of the day to doing what is safe, and if that means putting both feet down, then so be it.

But for the learner test, it is left foot to ground and cover the rear brake.
____________________
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rdm3ch
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 13 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my CBT I was told to have my left foot down and right foot up and covering the rear brake.

I wasnt 100% sure about the speed bumps so this was good to read. When I have come across them I have either gone between them when the road is quiet, or slowed down before going over.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rocket_richie
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:38 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told that you will be expected to ride thru them at 30pmh if its a 30 zone and you r not making the oncoming trafic alter thir corse
____________________
rs50 x2 rs125 zx6r f3 gs500e gsxr 400 zx6r f3


Last edited by rocket_richie on 23:37 - 21 Jun 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:38 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my test I went on a road with a lot of speed bumps, and we hadnt covered then on DAS, so I wasnt sure what to do.

Anyway, I did a mixture of avoiding them by going on the inside of the square, and the occaisional one, near the outer side, nr the middle of the road...when there was no oncoming traffic. I passed my test, so what I was doing must have been ok.

As for your second point. I was taught when you come to a standstill always put your left foot down, and your right foot on the back brake.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steven_85
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 03 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well am glad I asked about the speed humps, because it's not the sort of thing you first think of while riding.


I am the same about having a short 1st gear change, and with me being left handed/footed I found it easier to have left foot on pedal,right foot on floor but am getting ajusted to the right way now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor told me off for riding over those speed cushions - he wondered why on earth I wasn't making use of the perfectly flat bits of road on the side! I passed my test without riding over the top of a single one, so obviously it's a-ok. Thumbs Up

As for the right foot - I've always been told that it's better to keep your rear brake on than your front as if you get shunted the negery goes into compressing the rear shock rather than tipping you over the front. I was nudged from behind once and barely noticed (granted, there was zero damage as it was only a tap) but I always wondered what would have happened if I hadn't had my rear brake on!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:


I always wondered what would have happened if I hadn't had my rear brake on!



Bugger all! The only reason you are told it is the right way is because the examiners require it for the test.

If you get hit by a vehicle from behind sufficiently hard enough it will push you forward with a hell of a lot of force and you foot will slip off the brake anyway as you are thrown towards the pillion seat.
____________________
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Re: Couple of Questions Reply with quote

Steven_85 wrote:
1. When am out on my bike and I come across speed humps on the road.
The one's which I guess you can say are split into big squares, 1 on your side and one on the other.
so in between them is normal road.
If there is no traffic coming I normally just cut up in between them so don't have to ride over it,
My bike doesnt' have the best suspension.
But if I was out on a lesson or a test would that be seen as abad thing to do?.

2. When coming to a junction or stopping at lights, I used to put my right foot down and have my left foot resting on the foot rest.
I started noticing other bikers having there left foot down and there right one on the rest.So now I do the same.

Is there a right or wrong way to this?


You're supposed to ride in between the humps

They are only there to make sure people slow down when there are parked cars at the side of the road, obviously if a car is parked you HAVE to go over the bump, therefore reducing your speed.

If there's no parked cars either side you will be expected to ride through at the speed limit, no less. And they expect you to use your brain to figure out which side to ride through

Obviously if there's an oncoming car you can go round the bump on the gutter side at 30 if the kerb is clear, otherwise you use the middle if there is no oncoming traffic.

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that you should use your right foot to cover the brake when sat in gear. The reasoning being if your hand slips off the clutch for whatever reason, say you aren't paying attention, or you get bumped from behind, the bike doesn't fly away from under you it would just stall.

I tend to do it as it holds the bike still and feels natural to do for me.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 93.67 Kb