Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Something wrong with the back of my bike? (pic included)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

madcat2k1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Something wrong with the back of my bike? (pic included) Reply with quote

Was at some traffic lights today, making a left turn, and some guy on the right lane pulls up to make a right turn, then starts shouting at me through his window. I had earphones on so couldn't hear a word he was saying, but he was pointing at the back of my bike and I briefly heard the word "plate" and "brake". I was pissed that I didn't get to hear what he was saying because I pulled over shortly after and started to examine all the things.

I checked the brake light and it goes on and off when I push the rear pedal, etc.

So I figured, maybe he was trying to advise me (in an aggressive way) that my L-Plates were set up wrong or my little reflector was wrong.

Here's the setup I have on my CG125. Due to the back reflector being damaged, I took it off, and had a little one stuck just at the bottom of the number plate. Then I proceeded to attach the L-Plate where the reflector used to be. I don't personally see a problem with it, but maybe it's setup wrong or something.

Uh, well here's a pic. I haven't got one with the actual L-Plate on but I've shown where the L-Plate is attached (at the old reflector area).

So like can anyone see anything majorly wrong?

https://img382.imageshack.us/img382/2777/dsc00288ee7.jpg
____________________
CBT: Passed - (3/4/07)
DAS Passed - (17/7/08)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it looks fine

but i would check your back tire looks a little bald
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alun111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:36 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer looks fine apart from your back tire. it looks very bald.

and also the fact that someone's coloured in your number plate Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely that the L plate is blowing up and covering plate and possibly rear light.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Most likely that the L plate is blowing up and covering plate and possibly rear light.


Can't really see that happening considering L-plates are not made out of paper and if they bent that much they would probably brake...
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
Can't really see that happening considering L-plates are not made out of paper and if they bent that much they would probably brake...


Most of the plastic ones are really flexible and will not often break, they just flap in the breeze.

Of course the OP should not have had the music so loud, then he might have fully understood what the guy was going on about.

They really should make the design of the bike most likely to be ridden by learners have a good solid place for the plates. Or allow you to have a reg plate that has a "L" marked on it. Would not be much of a design issue on the left and bottom of the plate.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
m0l0t0v wrote:
Can't really see that happening considering L-plates are not made out of paper and if they bent that much they would probably brake...


Most of the plastic ones are really flexible and will not often break, they just flap in the breeze.

Of course the OP should not have had the music so loud, then he might have fully understood what the guy was going on about.

They really should make the design of the bike most likely to be ridden by learners have a good solid place for the plates. Or allow you to have a reg plate that has a "L" marked on it. Would not be much of a design issue on the left and bottom of the plate.


Mine never did. And tbh, even if the music isn't loud it's still hard to hear. I don't have my music on loud, it's pretty quiet actually but it's still hard for me to hear people.
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

madcat2k1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again. It was raining, had visor down, music on medium to try to blank out the engine noise and the wind that was making whistling sounds (irritating), and I'd just came off a single carriage way at 60 odd MP/H.

I have plastic L-Plates, they are very sturdy ones to be honest they can't bend. As for the tyre part I can't see how he could have seen it was quite bald with all the pouring rain. Maybe I was just a target of his venting.

Just weird tbh. Could it have been my L-Plate was slightly on an angle by about 5 degrees? LOL!!! Case closed I suppose.

OH and yeah I need a new front and back tyre. Just can't afford it right now. mine are borderline between legal and illegal. Police don't seem to mind...yet!
____________________
CBT: Passed - (3/4/07)
DAS Passed - (17/7/08)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will if you bin it through lack of grip, get down to your local bike breakers and pick up a set for 40 quid
Thumbs Up
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

madcat2k1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now, I'm a bit confused about tyre stuff now.

Says I need 90/90-18 57p for the rear.

Wtf is 57p?
____________________
CBT: Passed - (3/4/07)
DAS Passed - (17/7/08)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

57p is something to do with the speed rating I think.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

madcat2k1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I even need to bother with that number then? Should I Just get any old 90/90-18 tyre, like..M45 or something.
____________________
CBT: Passed - (3/4/07)
DAS Passed - (17/7/08)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

madcat2k1 wrote:
Do I even need to bother with that number then? Should I Just get any old 90/90-18 tyre, like..M45 or something.


Yeh I think it would be fine for your bike, I've bought tyres with different speed ratings, really its only going to effect you if you start doing 120mph+, which I don't think you are?
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

madcat2k1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope but I was planning to go the speed of light. Which rating would I need then?

JK Smile

Thanks for info mate, will get me some tyres next week.
____________________
CBT: Passed - (3/4/07)
DAS Passed - (17/7/08)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 26 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have decent tread on the front aswell as the back, if the front tyre is bald it will corner really badly, BTW that back tyre is really squared off
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 26 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here for speed ratings, just get the same as you have already.
https://www.tst-tyres.co.uk/info.htm
____________________
Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 96.42 Kb