|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Logan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Logan L Plate Warrior
Joined: 26 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:50 - 27 Jun 2007 Post subject: Same shi...question! Different poster! |
 |
|
Hello all
I'll get the pleasantries out the way. I'm 26, been driving four wheels for 8 years. Moving into my first house with the other half mean't my car had to go and I'm now forced to drive around in her bloody Micra!
Tragic ain't it? Woe is me!
However the future is bright! I'm going to be getting my motorcycle license Ditching four wheels for two.
I've not had a lot of experience riding bikes, so I'm practically a pure virgin. Apart from that one night stand with the moped in Greece, but we'll not go there. Everything else has been on the back of a bike as a passenger.
Anyway, I've been driving cars since '99. No accidents. Full NCB. Never been caught speeding or received any points on my license.
I've had a look at the sticky posts on here regarding the ways to learn, test and get your license. Can somebody please clarify further though, what my best route would be?
As I understand, I'll have to:
- pass the theory and hazzard perception tests
- pass my CBT
I then assume, I'll take lessons, as many as needed, then sit a test right?
But wait, whats this business about if you're over 21 with motoring experience, something about DAS's, different ways to do it...
Confused. To say the least.
My uncle has been riding for years, but its all changed since he sat his. He's setting me up with some lessons with an instructor he knows, so I'm sure he'll give me the lowdown. However I'd like to know before I chat to him, a little about the procedures.
Now we come to the million dollar question - which bike?
Over enthusiastically I let my heart run away with the notion that I'd get myself an R6 or a CBR RR - as a first bike, I'm pretty sure most here would shoot me down for being so stupid as to even entertain the thought - or would you..!?
So I've decided to set my sights a little lower, on the CBR600F. Its not a million miles away from say, the CBR600RR I was lusting after, I know, but its obviously not race tuned and designed with a functional purpose - on the road.
Is it a wise choice for a first bike? I'd probably be looking at picking up a second hand one, couple of years old, for a good price.
I've started looking, but once again I'm thwarted by questions! I notice that CBR600F's have a letter or number after the 'F' - now I'm assuming they are some sort of model or production line number, with the higher numbers being the more later models - is this correct? What are the differences in that case, and which should I be looking out for and which to avoid?
Thank you kindly for your time, and I hope to be spending a little more time on these forums!
EDIT: Ok digging deeper. DAS seems to be my best option. My license is a full driving license, issued before February 2001 so I possibly don't require the CBT. So its theory/hazzard test followed by the DAS. Optionally afterwards, I may go for the IAM. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| strag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 strag World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:09 - 27 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
a few answers for you:
Irrespective of when your licence was issued you do have to take your theory/hazard perception as it is specific to motorcycles.
Being over 21 you can take your Direct Access (DAS).
Your best bet would be to book a course with a local training school (these vary frmm 2-5 days I think) that includes your CBT and DAS, you will have to book your theory separately.
CBT is done on a 125 bike and measures your ability to be safe on the road, it is not a test as such.
DAS is done (usually) on a 500cc machine, you spend time with your instructor and he prepares you for the test which, is taken at your local driving test centre.
The DAS allows you to ride any CC machine you wish.
Hers a link to training schools local to your area https://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/c_northants.htm
In terms of what bike you get, that really is up to you. I would not flame you for your choice, I had a 1000cc sports bike within a month of passing. You need to get what you feel comfortable on.
The IAM is different altogether and is basically advanced training and a qualification. You would need to get some experience under your belt before doing this. It has nothing to do with DAS.
Good luck  ____________________ carbon bling |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Logan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Logan L Plate Warrior
Joined: 26 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:18 - 27 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks Strag
Yeah I was aware that the theory/hazzard test was compulsory, its the rest I wasn't too clued up on.
So does everyone have to take the CBT? Because I was reading somewhere that its not necessary if you hold a full car licence issued prior to February 2001 (this provides full moped entitlement) - which I do, unless the information I read was outdated.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a browse through. I'm hoping the intstructor at the Open University my uncle knows, will sort my DAS out for me.
Thanks again  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tonshar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tonshar Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 24 May 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:34 - 27 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you have passed your car test before feb 01 then yes you can ride a 50cc moped without taking a cbt and without L-plates, but only a 50cc anything larger than that then you need a cbt.
Also if you are going to take your DAS then you are required by law to take your cbt first.
Good luck  ____________________ CBT Passed, Theory Passed - Practical Passed 9/6/07
Suzuki Intruder C800 & Suzuki Bandit 650
I am a female biker  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Logan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Logan L Plate Warrior
Joined: 26 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:44 - 27 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up for me  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:36 - 27 Jun 2007 Post subject: Re: Same shi...question! Different poster! |
 |
|
| Logan wrote: |
I've started looking, but once again I'm thwarted by questions! I notice that CBR600F's have a letter or number after the 'F' - now I'm assuming they are some sort of model or production line number, with the higher numbers being the more later models - is this correct? What are the differences in that case, and which should I be looking out for and which to avoid? |
Letters run up to 2000, when they ran out of letters. They just denote the year. So FY was 2000 and you can work back from there.
2001 onwards was a number, the same as the year.
What to get depends on your budget, there's nothing wrong with the older ones at all, especially as a first bike. FX onwards are the newer ally-framed bike. FX-FY are carbed, after that they're injected. F1 onwards there's no difference except the paintscheme so don't get suckered into 'newer is better'. Howerver, I would avoid 2005 onwards as they stopped having fully adjustable suspension (trying to get more people to buy the RR) - adjusting the suspension on one of these makes an incredible difference.
Go 1999 - 2004 and you won't be disappointed. Go earlier with no qualms, just don't pay ridiculous money for it. CBRs hold their value pretty well, so you shouldn't lose much if you decide to move on (or you could just tweak the suspension, downgear it and piss off some RR owners ) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Logan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Logan L Plate Warrior
Joined: 26 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:24 - 27 Jun 2007 Post subject: Re: Same shi...question! Different poster! |
 |
|
| TheShaggyDA wrote: | Just as a heads up, Northampton is taking about 6 weeks for test dates, whereas Wellingborough is only 1-2 weeks. |
Thanks. Although I'll probably take my test in Milton Keynes mate.
| Bendy wrote: | Letters run up to 2000, when they ran out of letters. They just denote the year. So FY was 2000 and you can work back from there.
2001 onwards was a number, the same as the year.
What to get depends on your budget, there's nothing wrong with the older ones at all, especially as a first bike. FX onwards are the newer ally-framed bike. FX-FY are carbed, after that they're injected. F1 onwards there's no difference except the paintscheme so don't get suckered into 'newer is better'. Howerver, I would avoid 2005 onwards as they stopped having fully adjustable suspension (trying to get more people to buy the RR) - adjusting the suspension on one of these makes an incredible difference.
Go 1999 - 2004 and you won't be disappointed. Go earlier with no qualms, just don't pay ridiculous money for it. CBRs hold their value pretty well, so you shouldn't lose much if you decide to move on (or you could just tweak the suspension, downgear it and piss off some RR owners  ) |
Thanks for clearing that up I was only really looking at 2002-2004 so that works out quite nicely. I'll definitely steer clear of 2005 onwards though, the fully adjustable suspension I imagine, is a god send.
Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|