Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Street Triple 675 First Ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 30 Aug 2007    Post subject: Street Triple 675 First Ride Reply with quote

Well, 2nd ride really but it was only 1 mile home, my 1st ride was the week before last but I only just got around to writing it up.

Where to start? It looks like a great machine, visually it does work really well with just a couple of minor areas where its 'budget' construction shows up, but that is just me being very picky and not something that you notice without a good look over it. Just sitting on the bike and it feels really small, far smaller and easier to manage than its bigger brother, the 1050 Speed Triple. It's a very comfortable riding position, the peg and handlebar positions are just right for me. The clocks are shared with the Daytona 675, with just a bit of cosmetic tweaking. I'm not keen on the tacho graphics, it looks a bit too busy with the white lines but it is easy to read.

Fire it up and you instantly know that its a triple, with that very distinctive burble. Blip the throttle and you get an idea of how happy it is to rev, the needle quickly heading towards the 12something rpm redline.

Snick it in first and head off and it feels just so easy to ride, with it being so light and with such a natural riding position I gelled with it pretty much straight away. The motor is a peach, even more tractable low down the range than the Daytona, it pulls without complaint from 2k even in the higher gears. It's not all about low down stomp though, it really is a revvy little bugger and will happily motor right on round to the limiter. Even with the stock pipes on the noise is awesome, from 4k or so you get a gorgeous induction roar that means you won't be changing up anywhere near as often as normal. The only issue that I had is very slightly iffy injection on small throttle openings, not a problem for 95% of the time. Chances are that this will be ironed out in a future fuel map release too.

Considering that the suspension and brakes are where the Hinckley boys are supposed to of saved money they don't feel bad at all. The front brake is lacking a little in initial bite for me, but they are powerful and do a very good job, no doubt aided by the bikes low weight. The only complaint that I had with the suspension is that the shock felt a little under-damped at times, but then maybe it is just me. It certainly handles well, you can get it on its ear very easily thanks to the wide bars and it soaks up bumps that would have you out of the seat on either the Daytona or the Speed Triple.

So all in all it's a very good bike, especially for the £5,349 OTR asking price. To be honest I've no idea how they've been able to make it almost £2,000 cheaper than the Daytona (apart from cutting profit margins, there's certainly very little for the dealer). It definately deserves both the road test and sales success that it's getting. Get yourself down to your local Triumph dealer and get on a test ride - you won't regret it.

Pros:
Arrow Great styling
Arrow Tractable motor
Arrow Gorgeous noise
Arrow Price
Arrow Comfy riding position
Arrow So easy to ride

Cons:
Arrow Minor budget touches
Arrow Slightly iffy injection
Arrow Not much luggage space

https://www.triumph675.net/images/StreetTriple-1280_000.jpg
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matlow
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely written! As far as i've seen this bike hasnt had a bad write up anywhere and all say its tops value for money. If i was after a naked bike this is probably where i would be headed. well that or a super duke.
____________________
Hornet 600, CBR600F, 929 blade, 07 R1, R1200GS, 09 Blade, 750 SRAD, ZZR1200, 954 Blade, KTM 990 Adventure, Ducati 749s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

APNess
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 30 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to see one of these today in York (mate has an SV650, toss up between this and normal 675), good little bike from looks of it, best thing is low weight.

That price seems good, until you start whacking on the extras (belly pan, sculpted seat etc) and you looking at a grand more to get it something like, but still a good bike.

Looks good in white as well, all the magazines love it, and it's one in the eye for the japswhen Triumph can knock something out that's more or less a class leader for a good price.

I still can't get over how big Rocket IIIs are, and I'm 6'4"+. Big machines... Smile

Triumph need to pull their finger out and do a 1050 tuned sportsbike, or a 1200, keep weight down and price it competitively against Blades, GSXR etc. That'd be interesting Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 30 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

APNess wrote:
Triumph need to pull their finger out and do a 1050 tuned sportsbike, or a 1200, keep weight down and price it competitively against Blades, GSXR etc. That'd be interesting Smile


Well they are announcing 4 brand new models in the next few weeks so keep your eyes peeled...
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 30 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's it like for space? I've always liked the looks of the Speed Triple, but been put off by the excessive power and relatively small size of it. This looks like being perfect BHP-wise, but still a little titchy for me? (6'1)
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 31 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
been put off by the excessive power


In true BCF tradition...

"Grow a pair"

Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 31 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
What's it like for space? I've always liked the looks of the Speed Triple, but been put off by the excessive power and relatively small size of it. This looks like being perfect BHP-wise, but still a little titchy for me? (6'1)


Mr James put off by excessive power shocker! Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 31 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin,

You say I should get a test ride as I "won't regret it".

But If I get a test ride I'll want one, and I can't afford one, so I will regret it! Confused

Sad
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 31 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Colin,

You say I should get a test ride as I "won't regret it".

But If I get a test ride I'll want one, and I can't afford one, so I will regret it! Confused

Sad


Ahh, but then you'll find a way to buy one and in turn reach biking nirvana - therefore no regrets! Wink

Mister James wrote:
What's it like for space? I've always liked the looks of the Speed Triple, but been put off by the excessive power and relatively small size of it. This looks like being perfect BHP-wise, but still a little titchy for me? (6'1)


It is smaller than the Speed Triple, but it's not titchy. One of our lads is about your height and didn't have a problem with it.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might get one in a few years when they are about £3000 second hand.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Mr James put off by excessive power shocker! Shocked


I'm more comfortable with excessive force. Wink

Resistance is futile.

I high-sided a Yamaha Fazer 600, and currently pootle around on a KLE500, so jumping up to a Speed Triple would be a little........adventurous! I love the looks though, they're like a kick in the gob - something I know a bit about!
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AbiJ
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading a recent review in a mag here (USA) I'm looking at a triple 1050 for next year - getting bored of the 80's bikes I've rdden for the last few years, I need new technology.

There's the basic 1050 selling for around $10'000 here, which I would like, the "Nuclear Red" A.K.A hot pink colors, but then...

There's supposedly a 1050 special edition which is black, 3-1 arrow pipe, seat cowl, belly pan and carbon front mudguard, rad cowls, fly screen, hugger and heel guards for an extra $2000.

I'm torn, I love the pink, er I mean RED, but black and carbon, oh my.

Abi.
____________________
'81 Yammi XJ750 Seca, oldie but a goodie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

as there is a speed/street triple version of the 675, is there going to be a tiger version of the 675 ?
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
as there is a speed/street triple version of the 675, is there going to be a tiger version of the 675 ?


I hope so, I think the engine would work great in that sort of chassis, and if they keep the weight down it could be a real fun little bike. Like I said before, there are 4 brand new models being announced in the next few weeks and I've no idea what they are (well, what 2 of them are anyway).
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
as there is a speed/street triple version of the 675, is there going to be a tiger version of the 675 ?

McJamweasel wrote:
I hope so, I think the engine would work great in that sort of chassis, and if they keep the weight down it could be a real fun little bike.

Could be very interesting if they could properly keep the weight down and made a 'GS' version with spoked wheels etc - I suspect a 675 isn't that far off a KLR650 which is generally considered /the/ trail-mule.

Add in a 675 engine and the bits between the trails should be a bit more fun (or be over quicker at least) as well Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:05 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude in my local dealership was alluding to a Tiger 'cub', definitely.

The 1050 engine in a Daytona-type package will go like the very devil - they'd be fools not to do that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about a sports 1050 - there's strong competition in the litre bike market.

Ok; Honda and Ducati etc aren't up there on the powerstakes with Suzuki and Kawasaki, but there's a lot of people that will buy them just for the brand name.

I suspect the extra 50cc won't have nearly as much effect as the extra 75cc does on the daytona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll get a certain market, since there are still people out there who don't buy a bike on pure numbers.

The main drawback of the speed triple is getting pummelled by the wind. Whack a fairing round it and you'll appeal to folk who don't want arnie necks. Get the weight down and the power up and you'll have a litre bike for folk who want something a bit different. Don't forget the american market seem to love the whole 'british thing'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more interested in a Litre bike if there were an up-to-date 1050cc Triumph as described by Bendy. I keep looking at the old 955 Daytonnas, but I don't like the styling. Engine sounds awesome though!
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Daytona 1050, they have said all along that they won't do it and the latest noises from the factory are that they are considering pulling out of the supersport sector completely, it's just too competitive with the japs giving their bikes a major overhaul every 2 years. Triumph are too small to spend that much money on R&D. When you think that in comparison, the Bonneville has been out for 6 years with only an minor capacity increase as the only change of note until now.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mog
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it for the reasons the first poster stated but I didn't like the bars - difficult to see the instruments because of being thrust too far forward. Buzzy engine at 75mph and would be crap for long journeys. Almost rigid frame has its benefits but not when hitting pot holes which as remarked, makes the throttle jittery.

That instrument cluster really is the little boy's toy isn't it? Does a rider really need all that crap? Warning lights too small and the LCD display is bobbins when the sun shines on it.

I'll wait a year or more to see how many recalls there are and to get real road reports. I'll also have to wait a year to save up for a factory tank pad - must look the part!

Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 955 was always more of sports tourer rather than all out sports bike

so anyone wanting a daytona 1050, should just get a sprint ST (1050)

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-TRIUMPH-SPRINT-ST-1050_W0QQitemZ110164327933QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10486QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
the 955 was always more of sports tourer rather than all out sports bike


You know not of which you speak.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not the first person to have thought this

heavier, more relaxed riding position, so, more like a sprint st than an r1

its all relative

my tt600 is more of a sports tourer than modern sports bikes like the cbr600rr which is more of a track bike
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 2.24 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.99 Kb