Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Fitting a rev-counter to an XR125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Shoka
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:04 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Fitting a rev-counter to an XR125 Reply with quote

As the subject says. Hypothetically, would this be possible? Does the engine have any kind of connection for a mechanical rev-counter, or is there a way of clipping to some leads somewhere a rev counter? I know you can get ones that just pick up signals from the ignition leads.

This was just a pretty random idea, I wondered whether it'd be possible.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:14 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would be possible but you need to know the maximum revs of the bike to know which rev counter to buy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shoka
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:35 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you'd be able to find that out by taking a recording of the engine sound at full throttle, analysing it with an audio program to determine the frequency, then multiplying it by two to compensate for the fact that one of the rotations per cycle isn't accompanied by a combustion.

Seems complex perhaps, but as far as I know, Honda don't list the actual max RPM, just the max power/rpm and max torque/rpm.

But in case I misunderstood it, the max power rating is at 8,500RPM.

Logically, you'd think you'd get the most power when the engine is revving the fastest, but I don't know for sure. If you do, then I guess that's the value, 8,500RPM.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Philious
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about this when i got mine, I gave up looking in the end.

I can judge it by ear now anyway Thumbs Up
____________________
Previously; Honda XR125 - Yamaha DT125r - Aprilia Rs125 - Suzuki GS500e, Currently; Kawasaki ZX6R + ZX10R
Theory : Passed 28/7/09 Module 1: Passed 21/09/09 Module 2: Passed 23/09/09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.8 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 39.38 Kb