Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Knobbly VS Slick

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which is better in rain?
Knobblies (motocross bike)
41%
 41%  [ 18 ]
Slicks (Sportsbike)
58%
 58%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 43

Author Message

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Knobbly VS Slick Reply with quote

To settle an argument, what would have more grip in the rain, on roads?

A motocross bike with knobbiles, or a sportsbike with slicks?

Cheers!

Mark
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GazzaThePiagg...
Traffic Copper



Joined: 25 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be knoblies. I know it is not real slick but the old tyres on my moped used to be all over the place in the rain. Then again, would not like to lean too much with MotoX tyres.
____________________
Stupid Young Tw@ts Clan 2007 - Sponsored By Powerthirst
Honda NSR 125F (Under Restoration), Honda CR 125, Piaggio Zip (For Sale).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slicks in the rain Laughing

w00t drifting Mr. Green

Do you mean straight up slicks or real bike tyres ?
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Knobbly VS Slick Reply with quote

Do you mean actual racing slicks with no tread at all?

Even so, I'd say the road tyres. They are more likely to aqua plane, but up until that point you'll have a lot more rubber in contact with the road.

On an off road tyre you get a few small bits of rubber, which move about as your corner etc.

A crosser will weigh less, but I'd still go with the sports bike.

I've ridden with supercorsas (closest thing you can get to a road legal slick) in damp/wet conditions on track at a pace that you couldn't get near with a crosser on knobblies.

Of course, stick yourself on some mud, and the off road bike will be kickin' arse Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be on your arse within 5 minutes on slicks?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for something using a multi-purpose tyre like a Trail or Battle Wing, but the knobblies would win over a slick Thumbs Up
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Philious
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted slicks...

My MTX had proper off road knobblies when i owned it, and fuck me was it all over the place.

The XR isnt as bad but then the tyres are on road/ off road.
____________________
Previously; Honda XR125 - Yamaha DT125r - Aprilia Rs125 - Suzuki GS500e, Currently; Kawasaki ZX6R + ZX10R
Theory : Passed 28/7/09 Module 1: Passed 21/09/09 Module 2: Passed 23/09/09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
You'd be on your arse within 5 minutes on slicks?

Have you ridden a bike with slicks in the wet and a bike with knobblies in the wet? (And anyone else voting for 'knobblies')

For some reason, peopse seem to presume that big gaps mean they'll be amazingly grippy in the wet - the opposite, in fact - they have very little to stick to the road and that which they've got moves around under load.

Having tried Supercorsas back to back with touring tyres, I found the supercorsas offered more grip in the wet/damp despite haveing a lot less tread. Why? - because the touring tyre lets go before the point the supercorsa would aqua plane, as it doesn't have enough grip in the first place.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how much overbanding, drain covers and white lines on the road. Ridden with knobblies on the road in the rain and they just walk sideways around corners . . . More than they do in the dry. Been on slicks in the rain, but only on a track and there was loads more grip than you may expect.

I think on public roads I would opt for the knobblies though.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither, I'd choose a decent set of touring tires designed for road use.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an offroad bike with knobblies and its lethal on roads in the wet

very easy to lose the front end

my sportsbike has a front tyre of soft grippy rubber, with a big contact patch as there isnt much tread to speak of, and that sticks like glue
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted as if it is actual slicks, and therefore I would prefer knobblies, but if you mean normal sports tyres, and not real slicks (as in no tread at all), I would go for the sports tyres...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument was over proper racing slicks, or knobblies for road use (twisties).

Thanks to all who have posted! The votes are even now Shocked
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper racing slicks, on the road, in the wet. I would imagine you'd land on your arse fairly quickly on account of them being stone-cold and as a result having the consistancy of bakelite.

What you want are some of these bad boys:
https://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/images/tyres/big/av50_rain.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Proper racing slicks, on the road, in the wet. I would imagine you'd land on your arse fairly quickly on account of them being stone-cold and as a result having the consistancy of bakelite.

I've been told this, but experience suggests otherwise - at least these days, many slicks are acceptably sticky from cold.

As I've said, a Supercorsa (Which has a little bit of tread) will stick well from cold - even better when hot. I suspect a similar compound is used in their slick tyres.
However the equivalent Michelin tyre, while being very sticky when hot, is terrible from cold.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about racing wets, how well do you think they would do in the winter?
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
What about racing wets, how well do you think they would do in the winter?

Very well but probably won't last too long - they heat up a lot quicker than other tyres as they are designed to be used immersed in water. The tread compound is very sticky generally. Note that they do perform better when hot still and you do a fair bit more grip when up to temp.
For general road riding in winter they might not be too bad as they wouldn't get /too/ hot.

Some supermoto people use them for this reason, especially on light bikes which aren't putting so much force through them. I believe they are sometimes used by hill climb people, who are often not allowed tyre warmers and don't have time to heat their tyres up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of wet tyres is to squash the water off the road into the grooves away from the rubber touching the road so increasing grip... The more efficiently the tyre does this the better grip it has in the wet.

Knobblies are made for physically gripping loose mud and gravel, not moving it out of the way.

I would go for road tyres. They are designed for general use. Which can be classed as jack of all trades, master of none. Assuming you mean road legal slick tyres of course. as they would have to pass grip tests in wet weather.. (i believe the top of the rabge elise has road legal slicks, still kick ass in the wet though. They are just awesome in the dry)

Slicks dont works in wet as there is a lot of rubber touching the road and not many grooves. Tyre tries to push the water out of the way on the road, no where for it to go, tyre rides up onto the wave of water at the front, and you aquaplane straight on. Which isnt fun. Smile
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanoet wrote:

Slicks dont works in wet as there is a lot of rubber touching the road and not many grooves. Tyre tries to push the water out of the way on the road, no where for it to go, tyre rides up onto the wave of water at the front, and you aquaplane straight on. Which isnt fun. Smile


But aquaplaning is something that would require you to hit standing water remarkably fast given the shape and contact patch size of motorcycle tyres. You'd be into three figure speeds at any rate.

Motorcycle tyres don't push a wave of water in front of them, they cut a groove through it.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:26 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is why despite having superbold tyres I havnt binned it in the wet,

Tread?

Its overrated Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:47 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
But aquaplaning is something that would require you to hit standing water remarkably fast given the shape and contact patch size of motorcycle tyres. You'd be into three figure speeds at any rate.


Need to be traveling around 25mph on a CG125 to get both tires planing, trust me I'm not going to forget that feeling in anytime soon.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stiffler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Need to be traveling around 25mph on a CG125 to get both tires planing, trust me I'm not going to forget that feeling in anytime soon.


Aye I can vouch for this one too... Although I was on a YBR125. It was last winter and pouring down with rain. I was still relatively new to riding and inexperienced. I was in that "do I stop or do I keep going" zone approaching a set of traffic lights which then started to change.

Having been a car driver for years I believed I should be able to stop. Unfortunately the YBR stock tyres are terrible, especially in the wet. Next thing I knew I was sliding across the middle of the junction... I was too shocked and stressed to do the sensible thing and release the brakes and instead both were squeezed as hard as possible. The bike managed to go a scarily long way, and I think it was nothing other than luck I managed not to come off. It really managed to freak me out and I rode home extremely cautiously afterwards.
____________________
Current Bikes - Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) | BMW G650GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but that reminds me of when I was riding in the wet and hit a patch of diesel on the approach to a roundabout. I skidded onto it whilst managing to turn the bike 90 degrees to the left (not intentionally!) and ended up on the inside lane, facing the right way.
Thank **** no-one was coming around at the time.

After this, I'm so cautious in the wet that you wouldn't think I was the same rider as in the dry!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wikiwiki
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going from "dual purpose" tyres that come with the bike, some people call them "death wings" to BT45s, simply to get better grip in the wet as it is far too easy to lock the rear of the bike in the wet.

I'm hoping it may improve my fuel consumption slightly too as there is less rolling resistance compared to a knobbled tyre.

HTH
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 1.26 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 129.56 Kb