Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Need help with NSR 125 Fairing position plz

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Walshie
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Need help with NSR 125 Fairing position plz Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a NSR 125 02 reg which is a Cat c write off, I've stopped the oil leak, fixed the brakes, straightened the handlebars and stopped the Fork leak and all the other things I could find wrong with the bike.............
https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/walshie1987/MyToy.jpg

Hard / Main stuff out of the way I started building the bike back up, I put the fairings on and noticed that the front tyre catches when you turn the handlebars (as you can see from the photo), I've tried repositioning the brackets (Mainly hitting them with a hammer! Laughing ) and still cannot get the fairing to sit properly.

I've only got the lhs fairings and have never seen a complete set of nsr 125 fairings, can anyone post me some pics of the positions of the front fairings, and any fairings that are behind the front wheel, any photos / advise will be a huge help.

If anyone can spot straight off from the photo that the ground clearence etc. is to high please also let me know.

As you'll have guessed I'm new to the NSR

Cheers
Walshie Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Thom_NSR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Need help with NSR 125 Fairing position plz Reply with quote

Are you 100% sure the frame is OK?

EDIT: something doesn't look quite right in that photo but I can't put my finger on exactly what. The forks look bent to me but it may be the angle... Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walshie
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I'm starting to wonder, I'll pull the fearing off tomorrow and get another pic, from what I recall though visually they look fine, plus no front end damage on the fearing to maybe suggest a head on smash.

As for frame, I've check wheel alignment and its spot on, no major damage to frame, just a couple of scratches, starting to get a bit worrying now though, how something as simple as fearings can show a prob like this Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Thom_NSR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walshie wrote:
Thats what I'm starting to wonder, I'll pull the fearing off tomorrow and get another pic, from what I recall though visually they look fine, plus no front end damage on the fearing to maybe suggest a head on smash.

As for frame, I've check wheel alignment and its spot on, no major damage to frame, just a couple of scratches, starting to get a bit worrying now though, how something as simple as fearings can show a prob like this Confused


What damage was there when you got the bike? Do you have any idea how the damage was caused? It's possible that the bike slid on it's side and the wheel smashed into something, bending the forks.

You never know mate, it might just be the brackets or perhaps the upper fairing hanger...

The mirrors on the NSR are pretty substantial and I bent the hanger at the attachment point when I had an off, which made it difficult to get everything lined up when I put the fairing back on. Although I would think that any misalignment caused by bent brackets would be pretty obvious visually. Close up pics will help Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walshie
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I can gather, but could be wrong, the bike slid on the lhs, due to gear lever being snapped, left mirror slightly cracked and the main lhs fairing badly scuffed. The brackets are also bent, i've tried straightening them but not had much luck.

I'll get some more detailed photos posted up tomorrow see what you think, and will give forks a good looking at, Just thinking, I think the frame that holds the speedo etc. is slightly bent (lower at one side) so hopefully these things could account for the prob.

Cheeers for ur help Thumbs Up
Walshie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Thom_NSR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walshie wrote:
I'll get some more detailed photos posted up tomorrow see what you think, and will give forks a good looking at, Just thinking, I think the frame that holds the speedo etc. is slightly bent (lower at one side) so hopefully these things could account for the prob.


Yeah that's what I was referring to when I said "upper fairing hanger" although I'm not sure if that's the correct term. That could definately be the source of your problems. I reckon they're around £90 to replace if so (cheaper than forks!).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this bike had a meeting with a wall or everything similar . i suggest that you find a subframe in good shape (ebay) look the picture of the spare
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walshie
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think you're both right, hopefully, since the top fairing bracket and the subframe are all joined, a new subframe will cure the problem.

......and everything was going so well lol

I'll get some more photos later and keep you upto date

Cheers for the help Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.de/Honda-NSR-125-Geweih-Scheinwerferhalter-TOP_W0QQitemZ320159196443QQihZ011QQcategoryZ32111QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or buy a new one at https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk ph 01728833020 mail [email protected]
honda reference 64150 KBS 740
(i think it's about £60)
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walshie
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, soon as I get paid next week I think I may have to order one!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

an other one here https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NSR-125-Honda-NSR125-2001-Fairing-Bracket_W0QQitemZ220151489833QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bugsy46
Village Idiot



Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a subframe, its called a headlight bracket
____________________
Laura - "And where did looks come into this and bugsy leave steven alone. You are not gods gift to women you may think you are but you're not."
Keith - "All the best"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's called by honda STAY COMPLETE , COWL
we call that in france "araignée" (spider)
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda looks like your forks aren't straight.

If I were you I'd get your rear on a paddock stand, put a jack under the exhaust or some other support point and take the forks off. That way you can take a look if they are straight.

It just looks like your handle bars are straight and your wheel isn't.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bugsy46
Village Idiot



Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 19 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to me those forks look like they ought to be scrapped or rolled out staright
____________________
Laura - "And where did looks come into this and bugsy leave steven alone. You are not gods gift to women you may think you are but you're not."
Keith - "All the best"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 20 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be but they are not related with the bracket . it's a question of bended bracket or frame distortion
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.18 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.6 Kb