Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My mates complaint letter.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Kaben
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: My mates complaint letter. Reply with quote

My friend George has just sent this complaint to a company to complain about a damaged mixer. Its pretty funny - he was bloody pissed off when he got off the phone with the office girl!

Dear Sir / Madam,

Today I received delivery of part of an order placed yesterday which
included a Behringer 1204 12-channel mixing console. However, when I
unwrapped the external packaging I noticed that the mixer's box was not
sealed and in poor condition. When I opened the box I discovered much of
the internal packaging was missing and the cables were not tied or in
plastic bags but lose in the box. More importantly the mixer has
sustained considerable damage - one fader has snapped off and there are
several dents on the metal panel probably caused by the mains plug
scratching the mixer during transit. However, the most considerable
piece of evidence which suggests this mixer is not "brand new" is that
amongst the creased manuals and warranty papers is a set of instructions
to a board game of Backgammon.

I therefore sought to find the instructions on your website for returns
and immediately noticed there were none listed. I then looked for a
phone number, but again there are no contact details listed for your
company. I also attempted to google your company's phone number but
nothing came up in the search. The only address I could find was for
your webmaster and I presume he/she is not particularly interested in
the damage to my Behringer mixer. Eventually, I decided to call 118118
and the helpful lady there managed to dig out a number for your office
which I rang several times between 10.30am and 2pm. On about my 8th or
9th attempt the call was answered and I explained my problem - I also
conveyed the urgency of this matter as this mixer is required for an
event on Thursday. However, your member of staff maintained that all
your products are "brand new and sealed" and the problem I was
describing was simply not possible. She then suggested that perhaps the
mixer was damaged in transit and therefore I should not have signed for
it. I then explained how your company had chosen to wrap the product in
several layers of black bubble wrap and this was in-turn covered in UPS
shipping packaging. I asked whether all your customers poses the miracle
of X-Ray vision or whether this was a skill that only I am meant to
have? Suffice to say it would have been very difficult to asses whether
a mixer was scratched through the various layers of packaging and the
UPS driver was probably not too keen to hang around whilst I unwrapped
it all before signing.

Rather than argue this point I decided to explain how my "brand new and
sealed" Berhinger mixer was missing much of its protective packaging but
did come with a set of Backgammon instructions which, as far as I'm
aware, bears very little relevance to the world of audio processing. I
must say you clearly have the most loyal members of staff working for
you, as she still maintained that your company could not have been
responsible for this as you "only ship brand new products". Therefore, I
can only assume that in her mind, the explanation for this could only be
one of the following:

a) Berhinger have decided to implement a new environmental policy of
shipping their products not with polystyrene packaging, but sets of
screwed up board game instructions.

b) The UPS driver decided to open the box, have a look at the mixer,
give it a good scratching and replace it in the box with half the
packaging missing but not before leaving his usual "calling card" of
Backgammon instructions.

At this point I decided to request your email address as I feel this
situation warrants the attention of a senior member of staff.

As you can probably tell by the tone of this email, I am truly amazed by
the excuses given to me to avoid replacing this product. Before I start
quoting my statutory rights and various sections of the Trades
Descriptions Act 1968, I would like to give you one more opportunity to
replace this product with a brand new, sealed equivalent. If you would
like to offer new and even more implausible stories of how the
Backgammon instructions found their way into a "brand new and sealed"
mixer I would be glad to hear them.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

George Foden
____________________
Its Not a Melon, Its Clearly a Lime!!
Yamaha Fazer 600Now dead, MZ 125 SM
My Deviant Art homepage https://robabloke.deviantart.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: My mates complaint letter. Reply with quote

Kaben wrote:
I asked whether all your customers poses the miracle
of X-Ray vision or whether this was a skill that only I am meant to
have?


Laughing

backgammon instructions! Laughing Laughing
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does George still have the backgammon instructions? Embarassed
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of seeing the remainder of the correspondence when he hears back, would be interesting to see what their reply is. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaben
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told him to demand the game to go with the instructions Laughing

If/when he gets a reply i shall post it up here.
____________________
Its Not a Melon, Its Clearly a Lime!!
Yamaha Fazer 600Now dead, MZ 125 SM
My Deviant Art homepage https://robabloke.deviantart.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Edicap
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute class, your mate is a legend. Please let us hear what the company have to say!

Quote:
b) The UPS driver decided to open the box, have a look at the mixer,
give it a good scratching and replace it in the box with half the
packaging missing but not before leaving his usual "calling card" of
Backgammon instructions.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece, but to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!!!

Honda CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

repackaging used goods is all too common i'm afraid. My girlfriend bought a phone from carphonewarehouse a few years ago that was all sealed up in a box but came comeplete with someone else's txt messages already on it. We took it back and they swore blind that returned items are never resold. Maybe someone at the nokia factory put them then eh?
I work for a company that repairs electrical goods for end users and retail returns. We repack stuff for littlewoods and it has to be like new. If you buy anything from their catalogue and it comes in an unmarked white box then chances are its a returned item. Camcorders are a popular one. people use em for their holidays, download the films then return em saying theres a fault. Another common one is to buy a tv or hdd recorder, wait until the first years warranty is almost up, then sent it back as faulty and say your happy to accept a replacement, you usually find the model has become obsolete so you get the latest model.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile phones that get sent back, get repackaged, if there are items missing then they are placed back in the box and if you look at the label near the barcode and it has 2nd then it's classed as ' Seconds ' then it is shipped back out and resold...

I had the labourious task of doing it when I left school...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

I work for a company that repairs electrical goods for end users and retail returns. We repack stuff for littlewoods and it has to be like new. If you buy anything from their catalogue and it comes in an unmarked white box then chances are its a returned item.


Good advice there dude, thanks.

I'd love to see the response to the original letter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: My mates complaint letter. Reply with quote

Kaben wrote:
the
UPS driver was probably not too keen to hang around whilst I unwrapped
it all before signing.


I spent some time working at the 'goods in' department of a company. Used to get couriers in all day delivering stuff. They had two options. I either signed for it having first applied my "Goods not inspected to avoid delaying courier." stamp on the docket or they could wait 'till I unpacked and checked the consignment.

I NEVER sign for goods as in 'good condition' unless I have checked them first. The stuff they can damage in transit beggars belief.

I once received a 50 tonne strain guage load cell (a large block of metal with solid state, resin filled electronics in it. You attach it to the end of a crane, hang a weight of up to 50t on the end and it tells you how heavy it is). It was BENT when it arrived. Now the company I was working for makes the things and we test them as 'oilrig proof' by throwing them out of an upstairs window onto the tarmac yard. They sustain no damage. The only thing I can think of was that it got driven over by an HGV.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a smile on my face, cheers. Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 03 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

pure quality, i can tell he was pissed right off, and yet... no swear word in that email anywere. Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 03 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:
Mobile phones that get sent back, get repackaged, if there are items missing then they are placed back in the box and if you look at the label near the barcode and it has 2nd then it's classed as ' Seconds ' then it is shipped back out and resold...


Thats pretty much what they do where I work, except its not marked as 2nds. if there are any scratches then we mark it as b grade and littlewoods sell it at upto 30% discount. I picked up a sony mp3 player that looked like it had been run over, i asked the qa guy if it was a b grade or a scrap item and he said as long as it worked it was b grade. god knows who would buy that. He also pulled me about a £300 car stereo that I had b graded as it had a scratch on the facia. I said it was noticable as it was where you were likely to see it, but he had me repackage it as a grade and said they would track it. Basically that means its sold as new, but the serial number is flagged on the system if it gets returned so they can monitor what customers find acceptable. sounds to me like they dont want to loose money of a £300 head unit so they will take a chance that the customers to stupid to spot it or too lazy to send it back.

Plenty of courier stories. I thought everybody knew that couriers dont give a toss about the packages they carry, but it seems thats not the case. Every day we recieve high cost electronics goods wrapped in nothing more than an old carrier bag. I'm sure these customers think that the courier will put their package on his lap and drive it very carefully to us!. Not the case i'm afraid. it just gets chucked in the back of the van and we recieve it with a large dent where the plug has been crushed against it. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 03 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
repackaging used goods is all too common i'm afraid. My girlfriend bought a phone from carphonewarehouse a few years ago that was all sealed up in a box but came comeplete with someone else's txt messages already on it. We took it back and they swore blind that returned items are never resold.


the temp agency i work for supplies temps to carphone warehouse

one of the jobs is clearing the memories of phones before they go out, and checking that they dont have any obvious signs of damage and that the buttons work

this is clearly for returning phones that have been returned and fixed under warranty, so it definitely does happen, and im sure the odd temp or two make mistakes

this
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 89.45 Kb