Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


A general election may be soon - how will you vote?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Who will you vote for?
Conservative
41%
 41%  [ 34 ]
Labour
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Lib Dem
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
BNP
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
Spoilt Ballott
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
Other Party
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Won't Vote
17%
 17%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 82

Author Message

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: A general election may be soon - how will you vote? Reply with quote

The media are feeling pretty certain the a general election is pending. If it happens, how will you vote?

I've included the main parties and BNP, seeing as some people on the forum seem to like them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: A general election may be soon - how will you vote? Reply with quote

robby wrote:
If it happens, how will you vote?




By putting a cross on a bit of paper and dropping it in the box.

You missed this option off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first time ever I think I would vote Conservatives.

I have finally snapped with regards to Labour. I consider myself liberal and I support the welfare state and taxes etc, but Labour just seem to go too far with it.

They are liberal and socialist, but I don't seem to be seeing any of the benefits it should bring.
Look at Sweden. They have high taxes, but they seem to have a lot of the benefits that it brings. i.e. free uni tuition and just read in another thread about free school dinners for kids.

Labours 'socialist' is not for the benefit of the whole, but for the benefit of those who abuse the system it seems.

I was brought up on the welfare state. My mother was a housewife looking after us (4 kids) and my father worked as a town planner bringing in the dough. He died when I was 11 though and we have been living off his pension and child support etc since, but in criticism of my mother, I think she could have worked, especially when we got older and more self dependent.

Tories seem to have the right idea. I just heard this morning that they would only give benefits to those people who couldn't get a job. Anyone offered a job that they could fulfil would have their benefits stopped if they didn't take it up. That is how it should be and would stop the 'lazy Brit' culture where we leave all the unpaid jobs to immigrants.


The problem is though that we can't return to an 'elite' system, whereby people born working class have pretty much no chance of working their way out. Yes, we hear stories of how some kid from a council estate made a fortune, but they are rare exceptions to the rule.

Everyone needs the opportunity to progress, so university should be free (or maybe free if you complete the course - If you doss about and then drop out, then you pay for what you've done?)

It seems from where I'm sitting that the UK has gone to pot. Something needs to be done and in my eyes the tories are the best people to bring back the values we need, rather than what is quickly becoming a country full of lay about wasters.
Make the UK somewhere people want to remain, rather than having everyone dreaming of getting out for example.

Someone please convince me I'm wrong though, because voting for tories? EURGH Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting Conservative. We need a tory government and I was impressed with David Cameron and his speech.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is a difficult one. Although I don't want labour to win, I also don't want any of the others to win either. The 3 major parties are just competing to be the most extreme on the same policies. They all support taxing the private road user to death using CO2 as an excuse. They all support petty macro management of everyones activities. They all support a hideous amount of bureaucracy.

And the alternative minor parties seem even worse.

Personally I will 99% likely vote conservative. However I am not doing that to vote for them, more to vote against labour.

Best case scenario is we land up with a hung parliament with enough animosity between the parties to prevent them dumping any more half baked laws on us for a few years.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't voted for a number of years, but after listening to both speeches it'd have to be the tories purely because they say they'll scrap ID cards.

Gordon Brown probably has better leadership/statesmanship skills, but he and his gov just can't be trusted. David Cameron and his lot seem to have better ideas but no gravitas or standing.

I don't think there will be an election anytime soon. Labour have nothing to gain and everything to loose from doing it. If they lost one or two seats it would be a massive blow to GB's power and standing.

Even if they did have an election, everyone that votes will do so for the status quo (no, not the band...) Better the devil you know etc etc etc.
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tory,

I know they are a bunch of crooks , but at least they are more honest about it rather than Labour pretending to be whiter than white.

Also tories say no ID cards, No to congestion charging, and seem to be alot less authoritarian than Labour who are starting to make the Nazis look left wing.

In the 90s they had an ID card review , turned out to be ineffective and they canned it, NL had a similar review they ignored it.

mildly pointless thugh living in a rock solid labour seat, affectionately called dole city.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't vote.

I don't trust any of them anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn at the moment.

I don't want Labour to stay in, I'm too stubborn to bring myself to go Tory. Sick I grew up under a Tory gumbint and vowed never to give them my X.

So that leaves the Liberals, who are a bit useless but come closest to matching the majority of my political beliefs (well, the ones most important to me).

All politicians are lying, self-serving, cheating scumbags who DO NOT care about the public and will lie, lie and lie again. So it's the lesser of the evils when it comes to voting.

Cameron is a buffoon who is bandwaggoning policies that seem popular. What he may promise and what he will deliver are entirely different. But that is the same for all politicians, I guess - but I just find him a mongy toff without a clue.

I'm in a pretty strong labour area with Tories & Liberals taking half of the rest each - so I reckon my vote could count, therefore I'll make the effort to go to the polling station.

The only sticking point with libs is their 'greenyness' - i'm concerned about petrol prices/road tax etc, although on the flip side if they improve public transport enought this could offset some of it.

Campbell is a bit old, though.

Perhaps I'll wait for manifestos. I think this government definitely needs a change though - hopefully it could shake the Labour party up, make them have a good look at themselves and what they should stand for at the core.

Old Labour FTW
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "MARTIAL FUCKING LAW" box?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

LibDems are the only ones in a good enough position to get Labour out where I am, but I'm going to have to have another looksee at all of the policies before making a decision. And then spoiling the paper.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never voted before, due to apathy, this time I think I shall go and spoil my paper with some abusive message.

Fuck em all, bunch of cunts.

Glad I'm getting out of this shithole of a country.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
Never voted before, due to apathy, this time I think I shall go and spoil my paper with some abusive message.

Fuck em all, bunch of cunts.

Glad I'm getting out of this shithole of a country.


It's only a shithole now because people are too content to sit on their arses and do fuck all about it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
I'm voting Conservative. We need a tory government and I was impressed with David Cameron and his speech.


The old lying huckster trick, talking the usual bollocks, still works then.

I remember Labour saying they were going to bring in proportional representation (you know, a real democracy, where everyone's vote actually counts for something), but did we get it? Of course we didn't, it was just another bare-faced lie to get them what they wanted.

Ditto Cameron, Brown, McCambell, a bunch of meaningless waffle from every single one of them.

On voting day I'll be doing something more important than voting. Probably picking my nose.

Democracy? This? My aching sides.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
Never voted before, due to apathy, this time I think I shall go and spoil my paper with some abusive message.

Fuck em all, bunch of cunts.

Glad I'm getting out of this shithole of a country.


It's only a shithole now because people are too content to sit on their arses and do fuck all about it


And there is far too many people in it, which is my main problem.

EDIT:

And plus the fact that there is no real ability to change the country. We are locked in a pandering middle ground, which pleases noone, but results in virtual apathy in the populous who see the lack of real, reasonable choice (ignoring radical parties like BNP etc).

Those people who are established have too much to lose by fundamental change - wealthy on their expensive house, used to a highly materialistic life fuelled by debt and long hours, they don't really want change, and so they will suck up the bland, empty dross that the politicians spew forth, and make their 'choice', when in the back of their mind they know it is no real choice.

We need a crash in this country on a major scale, to show that the place has gone to the dogs, that society is shattered, because, for the most part, people don't think it is. Why should they when there has been years of material prosperity?

Its the old frog in a saucepan of water - nobody notices gradual decline when they are stuck in the middle of it.


Last edited by D O G on 16:23 - 04 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definately voting Tory.

Their inheritance tax policy is a gem: Only pay inheritance tax if your house is worth over £1m
____________________
Kawasaki ER6n -> Honda CBR600RR -> Honda VTR 1000 -> Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
Buy my Mercedes 350 Sport AMG Evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
I am definately voting Tory.

Their inheritance tax policy is a gem: Only pay inheritance tax if your house is worth over £1m


But where will that shortfall in tax revenue be clawed back from?!?!?

The government hands out bread, whilst stealing our flour.
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day any political party are going to screw you in the ass.
Just pick the one you would most like to be screwed by, then bend over and hand over your earnings.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ever chance to vote in a general election and i'd rather vote for Ian Huntley to be released from prison.

Our country sucks for different opinions, you either go for one of the top 3 and get the same regardless of what party to go for.

Or you go BNP and then go the full hog of extremity.

We need some middle ground. Smile

Will probably vote Conservative, just because I am fed up of Labour. As Brown looks unlikely to offer a referendum on the European Constitution, it goes against democracy as a whole on such an important step in our country's direction.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Harold_Shand wrote:
I'm voting Conservative. We need a tory government and I was impressed with David Cameron and his speech.


The old lying huckster trick, talking the usual bollocks, still works then.

I remember Labour saying they were going to bring in proportional representation (you know, a real democracy, where everyone's vote actually counts for something), but did we get it? Of course we didn't, it was just another bare-faced lie to get them what they wanted.

Ditto Cameron, Brown, McCambell, a bunch of meaningless waffle from every single one of them.

On voting day I'll be doing something more important than voting. Probably picking my nose.

Democracy? This? My aching sides.


Huckster - To deal in small articles, or in petty bargains. Love it, trust Hetzer (whoever he is) to come up with a gem like that. Still, it's nice to see not everyone was suckered in by Camerons pitch.

Any predictions, anyone?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gmanxiii
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Where's the "MARTIAL FUCKING LAW" box?


yeah i wanna vote martial law in too


https://koti.mbnet.fi/jayjay/tvdome/martiallaw/kuvat/martiallaw_index.jpg[/url]
____________________
I kills hondas

VFR400NC30 > ZZR600 > CBR600FX > CBR1000rr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
mark83 wrote:
I am definately voting Tory.

Their inheritance tax policy is a gem: Only pay inheritance tax if your house is worth over £1m


But where will that shortfall in tax revenue be clawed back from?!?!?

The government hands out bread, whilst stealing our flour.


apparently the non residency tax gentlemans agreement, for non domiciled folks, which is exactly what the tories gave Alfayed in the 90s, currently wealthy people under tax rules of non residency pay nada NOTHING in tax , because they don't officially live here,

under the gentlemans agreement they pay 25K flat rate , or alternatively pay UK tax, 25K to such folks is nothing , interestingly enough Alistar Darling broke ministerial rules attempting a rebuttle, me thinks something is better than nothing (tax wise).
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nufkamp
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will vote with my arse and leave it firmly wedged on my sofa. There is not one party who I believe will deliver anything they promise except the further raping of my wallet. They can all go fuck themselves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nufkamp wrote:
I will vote with my arse and leave it firmly wedged on my sofa. There is not one party who I believe will deliver anything they promise except the further raping of my wallet. They can all go fuck themselves.


Yeah, but thats not exactly showing your disgust. Spoiling the ballot paper does that. what sitting on your sofa means is that you're apathetic and don't actually care.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a campaign of "biting back" by spoiling ballot papers by the method of stapling your own personal tax claim against the government?

Along the lines of :

"I hereby claim back the £9,999,999,999.99 which you make me pay in pointless VAT* but which I cannot claim back as I am not a VAT registered business"


*how does tax have "added value"?
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 2.48 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 142.61 Kb