Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Skiing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

shaun_04
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Skiing Reply with quote

I'm thinking about booking a skiing holiday for early next year. I've been skiing before in norway, but most holidays I have seen are for the alps. So if you have been skiing in the alps and have any recommendations or stories to tell, I'd love to hear them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

french alps or swiss alps:)

i have been to both numerous amounts of times, and are v.good. and which ever you go to, swiss or French, you can cross the border pretty easily and ski the other for the day.

i have been to la plagne 1800. in french alps, and another resort in the 3 vally's a number of times, and Torgon In Switzerland 3 times,

my friends mum works for a ski-holiday company i suppose if you wanted information you could call them?

01622 735 544
01622 738 550 (fax)
Silver Ski Holidays LTD - Ski tour operators. Subject owns 4 ski chalets in the French Alps and leases 36 others.

its based in Kent, just up the road from me.

jim
____________________
Yamaha R6 5EB, BMW 328i Touring, BMW 328i Coupe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiing is the best thing ever. When I go skiing I just feel free and on top of the world. The wind in your face and just gliding over the ground. If I could I would live on the slopes.

One of the things that sticks out for me last year was when I'd just come down a really steep black and thought I'd just go for it and show off to the people in the ski lift passing overhead.
So I just started carving through the off-piste powder, but before I knew it I was coming to a 'jump'*** and just crouched and hit air at considerable speed before landing it lovely just before arriving at another.
I hit the second one nice and landed it perfectly before doing a snow spraying turn back onto piste (which involved going over the piste edge 'jump' at a very healthy speed) and flying through the air just infront of some others, landing at 90 deg to the piste direction and then sharply turning into the right direction and zipping down towards the chair lift.

I felt like such a hero. It just went perfect in true Super G style!


*** (You know where the slope suddenly gets steeper)

The only problem is that you start to run out of challenges when bombing it down blacks gets easy! Shocked

P.S. Potential bragging spotted Smile Its the one thing I'm good at lol Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T-b0Ne321
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alps are by far the best for a short week away but make sure you get a resort in a high altitude because last year there was a lack of snow and it is quite off putting when you see roots sticking out of the ground or grass in the middle of a run.

America and canada are good but only if you go for 2 weeks.

I have been to the alps the last 3 years in a row and i going away twice next year so cant wait for that. I have heard that courcheval is very popular for tourists so may be very busy durning school holidays. But megeve is very good and quite quiet with a wide rane of runs and los of space.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your destinations you don't sound stuck for a penny or two...however if money is tight or you'd rather spend the two - three grand saved on a new bike then Bulgaria is brilliant. Me and a bunch of friends went last year - four hundred quid for ten days skiing, 4 star hotel with breakfast and tea, equipment rental and 10 days skiing tuition. The scenery was beautiful, the people friendly, the beer cheap and the skiing equipment is also cheap to buy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam_buster wrote:
french alps or swiss alps:)


Or Austrian Alps.

Been to Montafon Valley in Austria and it was very good I thought. Not many British people there. Mainly a place where German people go I think, but none the less very good (and better than Les Deux Alpes I thought, where I went last year)

Les 2 Alpes had too many flat bits where everyone had to pole about
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.27 Kb