Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My first driving lesson!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bugsy46
Village Idiot



Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: My first driving lesson! Reply with quote

Well after having a full UK bike license for over 2 years now I decided it was time to put in for a car license. And I have to say it was pretty confusing at first what with all the moving of the feet etc, being able to move at less than a bikes idle speed and not stall (corsa diesel 1.3). When the guy was showing me how to prepare for setting off my brain almost collapsed! It was very nerve wracking to say the least!

Anyone else got some experiences to share?!
____________________
Laura - "And where did looks come into this and bugsy leave steven alone. You are not gods gift to women you may think you are but you're not."
Keith - "All the best"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, after riding a bike I thought driving a car was fairly easy, especailly with the controls etc.. I never even stalled when I was learning.. understanding the principles of clutch and throttle control and pulling away, was just a case of getting used to using feet instead of hands etc.. already knew how the roads worked so that wasnt too much hassle either, only things I had to really get used to was how much wider a car is etc! passed first time too Wink

Good luck with it tho.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate,

Same boat as you, riding for 2 years & only started my about 2 months back.
First time in the car i actually managed to get on alright without stalling as i once you know the clutch works on a machine, you get used to it. The actual driving was a different story, i find it very hard to judge to my left & always getting too close to curbs & cars.

Really can't stand when the instructor helps me with the clutch, like if i'm waiting to pull out, it's so annoying. And being a biker, i'm not used to people being right up my ass, sometimes i feel like slamming on the breaks, frustrating or what!

I bought my car last week, an Mk4 GTI. The pure size of a car makes it more intimidating for me then when i first got my R6. Even tho the car is 100x slower it does feel more of a monster.

15 lessons later & i've got my test in a few a weeks. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike or Car, whats harder Thinking

I had car lessons when I was 17 and didn't get round to doing the whole bike thing until 10 years later, but I would say that bike was a piece of piss and that the car is more complex and the concentration needed is greater.

Its not my final answer, but its one that I'll stick with Laughing
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 lessons here and my test in a few weeks :mrgren:

Had my full bike license since March but been riding on the CBT since Dec '05

Haven't stalled yet *touch wood*, and all the manouvres I'm getting along fine with. just need a little bit more practice with the 3 point turn and parallel parking.

Also, I don't hold people up, they hold me up Laughing I've got good spacial awareness and I squeeze into small gaps that drivers with full licenses wouldn't dare do Laughing MY instructor said it's all good.

I fucking <3 being a learner and actually commuting faster and safer than most people on the road! Had a Porshe up my ass at some lights and I could hear him revving his shitbox (I have a low opinion on Porsche's) only for him to stall and get left behind!

Can't wait till I have my own car and actually rag it round like an idiot, without killing any kittens of course.
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats all this about stalling? Everybody stalls from time to time and yes if you stall at an inappropriate time on your test you could fail, but having a hang up about stalling wont make things better.

I have found pupils who have riden motorbikes ( not scooters) do pick up car driving better than than those who havent ridden. But there again most of driving is about confidence, but not too much as that can be as bad as too little.

I dont care who you are, everyone is nervous when they start something new. but it is good that you know that you have something to learn and don't try to run before you can walk.

Enjoy your lessons and enjoy your test, be relaxed, but alert.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PIEMON
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 07 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo im not alone iv been rideing 2 years and just had my 1st driveing lesson, i found it alot to take in at first and i did a few life savers in the car lmao. but im looking forward to my next one.

PIEMON
____________________
Me SPEEDING never - I was FLYING to low
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MoshizZ
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 07 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 and i got my 3rd one this coming Thursday...

Its going to be weird, did my first two in a Citreon C2 VTR (Pushes 100+bhp!)
Now its going to be in a Ford Fiesta TDI Smile

Its all good....Dont normally have many lessons with this guy before you pass, and i find it easier than a bike...
____________________
half_lyfe wrote: my helmet is still wet...
quacker_boy wrote: he ended up missing my mouth and shot it straight into my eye. Yup, went in her eye as well!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dischord
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 07 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chat to the examiner, make him like you, ask him what car he drives etc say your dad has the same blah blah I did this twice and passed 1st time on both.

Skill and knowledge help but circumstance plays a big part. I've seen shit drivers pass 1st time and good drivers pass 4th time, some people just seem to get an easier 40mins and only have to do one reverse park where other have to do the lot.

Just stick with it and don't dismiss driving after you're first lesson, once you pass get something quick and unique and it can be just as fun as biking but without the huge adrenaline rush Laughing
____________________
2012 KTM EXC 250

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 07 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest when I had my first lesson I felt the same way - very confused. To make matters worse it was the first motorised vehicle I'd ever driven, as I learnt to drive cars before bikes.

Stick at it - it'll become second nature after a while Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misc wrote:
I bought my car last week, an Mk4 GTI. .


got a car now misc? Thumbs Up

i started off doing my lessons but i thought theres no logic behind it all with having a car in london, you barely move! but i will still do it at somepoint just so theres a car to use if needs be

good luck mate Thumbs Up
____________________
GSXR750
(FAR FAR from standard) www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 08 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUXY DJ wrote:
Misc wrote:
I bought my car last week, an Mk4 GTI. .


got a car now misc? Thumbs Up

i started off doing my lessons but i thought theres no logic behind it all with having a car in london, you barely move! but i will still do it at somepoint just so theres a car to use if needs be

good luck mate Thumbs Up


The weather played a big factor in it, last winter wasn't too bad but i can see this one being bloody cold. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:33 - 09 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

still got the bike tho?
____________________
GSXR750
(FAR FAR from standard) www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 09 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, sold that about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't enjoying riding anymore, especially with it being my only transport. I'll be getting something next year hopefully.
How's the Srad doing? I see you're getting the front wheel up, any vids? Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 09 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Wink yep & yea the SRADis doing mighty fine.... 750 FI lump going in soon then a 802cc bore kit Very Happy then its time to finally fit this carbon R1 arse Very Happy

dont really wanna jack this guys thread so ill pm you some vids & pics Thumbs Up
____________________
GSXR750
(FAR FAR from standard) www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 95.12 Kb