Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Climbing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 11 Oct 2007    Post subject: Climbing Reply with quote

Anyone into it?

I've just started some top rope indoor climbing and I must say I'm hooked!

I've already bought some climbing shoes, carabiner, belay device and joining the university climbing society.

I don't do things by halves...

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 12 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willow and I started going regularly a while back, it's great fun. I did a lot of climbing (indoor and outdoor) when I was at uni and was worried that it had been a long time since I had been so wouldn't have the same strength. It's all starting to come back to me now.

We go to an indoor centre in Wolverhampton: Wolf Mountain and are taking the Girly Guides on Tuesday \o/


It's so theraputic and relaxing Smile

Next step is to do some more outdoor climbing Thumbs Up
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Qube77
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 12 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a days outdoor climbing once, all pretty basic stuff, but was really fun and really gets the adrenaline pumping. Would love to do it again but not sure if it would be something I would want to take up.
____________________
Current Bike - Bandit 650s
Next Bike - ????
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 12 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be an awesome climber when I was younger. Climbed the mountains in Cyprus most weekends. Was also into Abseiling and Zip-lines too! Laughing

Developed Foot drop at 15 though, Climbing went out the window. Thumbs Down

Its a great sport though. I used to love it where you get into your own little world on the way up, Then look down and realize you are f**king high! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the climbing society seems to organise outdoor events quite a lot. We all bundle in a mini bus and go somewhere cool.

But at the moment I'm quite content with just some indoor, top rope stuff.

Just waiting for my damn shoes to arrive!

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 12 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
Just waiting for my damn shoes to arrive!


I hope you've ordered the right size...

Out of interest what shoe size are you normally and what size and make have you ordered?

I'm usually a 3.5/4 and have size 2 climbing shoes which are probably still a little on the large side, but for indoor stuff it's fine as I can be lazy and leave them on while I am belaying.

The other thing I would recommend heartily is that you grab yourself a regular climbing partner, someone you trust and who trusts you.
You get to know each other and can predict moves much better so you belay them better... Becky and I have reached the point where we can have some very constructive conversations whilst climbing/belaying interspersed with odd words that indicate whether we want more slack/are about to make a slightly dodgy move and expect to fall off or if we need a rest.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm going to be with my housemate, I trust her, and I hope she trusts me.

Only bad thing is that she's a lot lighter than I am, so it's harder for her to belay me.

And the shoes I got are 12s, the usual size I wear. If they're too big I'll chuck em back on eBay, not a big deal.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 12 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
Only bad thing is that she's a lot lighter than I am, so it's harder for her to belay me.


Don't worry about that, I used to belay lads twice my weight... it's all about technique Smile
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 13 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about boot/shoe size unless you get good. Go for the "proper" fit of two sizes too small and you'll be in agony in a very short period of time. If you get into it you'll soon wear them out anyway. Top tip: Two weeks climbing in Provence.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm next climbing on tuesday and the damn postmen being on strike means my shoes won't have arrived.

My belay device and carabiner came though.

I think I probably will get into it. We'll see I guess!

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 13 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to abseil. Ahh good memories of getting scratched the shit out of by jagged rocks, and swinging into brambles in the wind Laughing
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Willow
Nova Slayer



Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 14 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Becky and I have reached the point where we can have some very constructive conversations whilst climbing/belaying interspersed with odd words that indicate whether we want more slack/are about to make a slightly dodgy move and expect to fall off or if we need a rest.


Yep, and we wonder why we get some odd looks... Wink

On the shoes though, I got mine off e bay and it took a few months to get the right size and make coming up that I could afford. If you don't get the right size now, just go along to a decent climbing shop and try on a few pairs, write down the size, make and style and then have a look round e bay-sorted Smile

Anyway have fun with it,it is a little addictive Very Happy
____________________
...this piece of string has two ends! Wink ...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive only done climbing a few times, but for me outdoor climbing is a lot more fun (if a little less convenient)

id suggest you get out to do some outdoor climbing soon, i think of climbing walls as just practice for the real thing

but then im the kind of person who cant see the point of running on a treadmill when you could be running outside so if running on the spot inside makes sense to you, i guess climbing inside would too.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:29 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
but then im the kind of person who cant see the point of running on a treadmill when you could be running outside so if running on the spot inside makes sense to you, i guess climbing inside would too.


It's not really anything like the same thing :S

Indoors climbing walls usually have loads of different climbs, all graded and all with different routes you can try. Climbing outdoors is far more difficult to follow proper 'routes' and far easier to find a stable wide ledge for a rest. Plus you can't tell if someone's 'cheating' using the wrong route (*cough* Becky) outside Wink
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:30 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
but then im the kind of person who cant see the point of running on a treadmill when you could be running outside so if running on the spot inside makes sense to you, i guess climbing inside would too.


It's not really anything like the same thing :S

Indoors climbing walls usually have loads of different climbs, all graded and all with different routes you can try. Climbing outdoors is far more difficult to follow proper 'routes' and far easier to find a stable wide ledge for a rest. Plus you can't tell if someone's 'cheating' using the wrong route (*cough* Becky) outside Wink

Oh, and you can run outside in the rain. Climbing in the rain and dark? No thanks, I like my grips dry.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running inside means you can watch TV at the same time Smile

And oggle the sexy girl on the bike in front of you.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should have a BCF climbing day for those of us who do Smile

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

\o/

Great idea, we could organise an outdoor climb with a climbing centre if there are enough of us and hire kit etc.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a good time to start organising it.. by the time the cats have been herded, it'll be summer again.

Do we not have enough kit between us all to do it ourselves?
I've got a spare harness, and a 110m Beal TopGun rope. I could probably lay my hands on some quickdraws, which would be all we'd need for some sport routes.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have my own harness before long, I've got belaying stuff but no rope.

Sounds like a great plan to me!

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 114.14 Kb