Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Engagement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Engagement Reply with quote

Well I think it is time to pop the question to the Mrs. We were walking and talking whilst shopping in town, she stopped at 3 jewellers and looked at rings, "Oh look honey, isn't that ring pretty" she said whilst looking at a £4000 engagement ring... Shocked ...I said "yes it is, but don't you think that £800 ring is nicer?" she gave me an icy look and replied, if you want me you need to do it soon and it has to be a really nice ring.

So the saving begins and all my dreams of getting a brand new bike vanishes into the distance. I do want to get married to her, but when I say to myself yes I will do it, she manages to always really piss me off and then I decide against it.

So this time she has not pissed me off, so I am going to do it, I got her ring size, another hint of hers, nearly enough dosh to get a really nice ring so the date is looking to be around the end of Jan when I can find a suitable place to do it too.

So wish me luck and I hope she likes the ring.


BB
____________________
My current bikes are - YZF-R1 & GS 500 E

Trackday videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/bishbash13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
she gave me an icy look and replied, if you want me you need to do it soon and it has to be a really nice ring.


She sounds like a nob, I'd of told her to get f*cked and dumped her on the spot, but I don't take crap.

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

She sounds like a nob, I'd of told her to get f*cked and dumped her on the spot, but I don't take crap.

T


Same as. Especially if this is just the engagement ring...

Fuck that shit.

Pff, dont care how dirty the girl is and how much you want to keep her, setting that kind of precedent is dangerous Neutral
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy her a nice looking cheaper ring - how's she gonna know how much it was!!

My wife's engagement ring was £50, but very unusual and made by a local jeweller - She loved it! Later on when I could more easily afford it (been married 8 yrs now) I bought her a more expensive replacement for a couple of hundred.
Maybe for our 10th anniversay she'll get a better one again!! Wink
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

She sounds like a nob, I'd of told her to get f*cked and dumped her on the spot, but I don't take crap.

T


What he said.

Cost is irrelevant, it should be the thought that counts. The basis for a good marriage should be love, trust, friendship, shared outlook and compatability in bed. The price of a ring has nothing to do with it, ffs after you're married she may not even wear the engagement ring, lots of women only wear their wedding ring.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with the sentiment's already expressed. Is she so insecure and spoilt that she needs expensive trinkets to prove her 'value' to you?

How long have you been with her? How old are you both? Just trying to get some more info here.

It doesn't sound like a dream start. Her demands and apparrent selfishness will only escolate I would have thought.

On a more upbeat note, should you decide to go ahead, the accepted guide for a price of a ring is one month's salary, thought that may be relevant.

If that is £4k for you, have you ever considered homosexuality? PM me and I'm sure we can cum to some arrangement Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to

TOE-PUNT HER IN THE CLEFT

as well
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

punch her in the tits,
do her up the garry..

[/coat, door, gone]
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only agree with all the comments above. And to say "if you want me you need to do it soon and it has to be a really nice ring." really shows thats she's commited to you. Rolling Eyes

Just think what the 4 grand will buy you both come marriage time.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ken
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB. I think you will be under the thumb on this one... But it's you're life you play it how you wana play it... Good luck.
____________________
latest bike 03 R1 in zee red and black
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long have you been with her? How old are you both?


I am 26 (today actually) and she is 24, we have been together for 3 years.

Quote:
On a more upbeat note, should you decide to go ahead, the accepted guide for a price of a ring is one month's salary, thought that may be relevant.

If that is £4k for you, have you ever considered homosexuality? PM me and I'm sure we can cum to some arrangement


ROFL, I wish my salary was that much. One month huh...Did not know that.

She is actually a really delightful person, extremely funny, 100% trustworthy, sexy as fook and not spoilt in any way, reading back on what I said, it did make her sound like a bitch, she is usually really thrifty when it comes to money.

But going back to what Beanfest said, that does seem like a good idea.

BB
____________________
My current bikes are - YZF-R1 & GS 500 E

Trackday videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/bishbash13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, something inside of me though that you may not have agreed with everyone saying she seemed like a money grabbing witch!

If you do love each other and all that crap, she should be so excited that you have popped the Q that the actual value of the ring won't even come into her head - as long as it looks the part, you'll be fine.

Me, I cannie be arsed with marriage, think it means fuck all. Whole waste of money, for one day of partying, paying for other folks to have a good time, well fuck you friends and family, you're not getting any freebies out of this chump - go shake your fucking moneybox at some other dipshit. Take your confetti and tawdry gifts and fuck off!!!

Oh dear, I appear to have become slightly carried away. Never mind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: Engagement Reply with quote

Quote:
Many men may reject the idea of an engagement ring, but it is perfectly acceptable for the bride-to-be to present her fiancé with a gift as a token of their impending commitment. Dress watches, leather wallets, cuff links, and money clips are all alternate gifts that express her feelings and symbolize the couple’s commitment to one another.


link

If you have to buy her a £4k ring then its reasonable for here to buy you a £4k gift, what with equality and all....


fancy a new bike?
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I suggest reading this article first:
https://shopping.guardian.co.uk/valentinesday/story/0,,649683,00.html

Seriously consider going on a trip to some jewellers that aren't high street chains, look for something that is simple and classy that she will still want to wear in 40+ years time, a simple Tiffany setting is probably the most popular - and not anywhere near the £4k price (even with the Tiffancy & Co stamp).

Whatever you do, if you're not taking her to chose the ring, make sure you get the right metal. If she doesn't wear yellow gold don't buy her a yellow gold ring!
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: Engagement Reply with quote

powelly wrote:


link

If you have to buy her a £4k ring then its reasonable for here to buy you a £4k gift, what with equality and all....


fancy a new bike?


Ahh, funny you should say that, she training to be a quack and she has promised me a Brand new MV Augusta (My dream bike) when she begins work. So its swings and round-a-bouts really.


BB
____________________
My current bikes are - YZF-R1 & GS 500 E

Trackday videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/bishbash13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feck me! £800!!!

Shell's was only £130 and I had to pay it in 10month installments. Laughing

Looks nice though. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella,

That is undoubtably the best link and advice I have ever received on any site, thank you.

I might wait until the summer now to buy a ring.

BB
____________________
My current bikes are - YZF-R1 & GS 500 E

Trackday videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/bishbash13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get a real bargain have a look in the windows of pawnbrokers (I used to be one) dont look at the rings, just look at the stone find a horrible looking ring with a nice stone and get the stone set in a new shank, shouldnt cost you more than a couple of hundred quid for a 18ct shank.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

powelly wrote:
just look at the stone find a horrible looking ring with a nice stone and get the stone set in a new shank,



That's actually a lovely idea. Buy the stone then have a ring made - you could go to somewhere like the Jewellry Quarter in Birmingham and have something completely individual, maybe a little contemporary, made for the stone... very romantic! If there are multiple stones you could always have a couple of earrings made out of the smaller stones to match the ring - that would be a very gorgeous surprise present for later in the year.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched blood diamond last night, interesting when you then look back on a thread like this.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 07 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my engagement rings (yes rings!!) have never cost that much, I was pleased with the ones I got as it was the meaning of them that counted, not the value. (one only cost £45 fron QVC!!)
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 07 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Toby R wrote:

She sounds like a nob, I'd of told her to get f*cked and dumped her on the spot, but I don't take crap.

T


Same as. Especially if this is just the engagement ring...


Agreed. Isn't getting married supposed to be about two people who love each other? Not how much the f*cking ring costs?!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 07 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBassJunky wrote:

Agreed. Isn't getting married supposed to be about two people who love each other? Not how much the f*cking ring costs?!


Oh god, dont say that. When I said me and my o/h were looking to get married in a cheap simple easy way I got slated to fuck because I didn't want to splash out on a piss up for a bunch of freeloaders. Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 08 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it unless you know you could put up with her for 50 more years. You are only young and marriage is a big commitment. Divorce can be expensive if you don't agree (upto £40,000) and even if you do it's still a good £1500 wasted plus the ring could be about £1500 and the wedding, which will be loads.
I'd see how things pan out over the next 5 years and then if it's still going really stong that's the time to pop the question.
After our long talk I think you deserve a new bike Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

haribo... she'll never know the difference.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.42 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 135.92 Kb