Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Farmed Fish

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Farmed Fish Reply with quote

Right, well after years of raving about how misguided vegetarians are, especially the ones who dont mind a spot of tuna etc and debating my own moral stance ive decided to stop eating wild caught fish/shellfish.

It seems like a bizarre moral standpoint we dont mind teaching kids. Think of the crappy film madagascar...

Moral of the film is the lion goes wild, want to eat his friend the zebra and doesnt, because they decide to feed him fish.

They deliberately make sure the fish dont look cute. So whilst kids are brought up on things like bambi (a film im sure made ALOT of vegetarians) people dont mind the widespread raping of the sea.

Due to my course i know a hell of a lot about the collapse of just about every fishery we're exploiting. Its pretty much impossible to get Cod these days, because the fisheries collapsed. Dogfish are now pretty rare in british waters, not to mention the porbeagle shark USED to be called the Beaumaris shark as it was so common around anglesey.

Then you get long line fishing and trawler fishing which drowns stupid quantities of sharks, sea turtles etc every year.

It just seems a bit... crass to continue eating them with the knowledge and preaching ive done.

So money is going with my mouth now. Im refusing to buy fish or shellfish that im not certain were farmed.
Im not going to go to the zealous nature of vegetarians with this, and if someone happens to offer me a home cooked meal that happens to be prawns/fish without an easy alternative i'll eat it.
Since im not a great lover of fish asides from tinned tuna and salmon its not a great problem... except i LOVE prawns.

Now, can anyone tell me why the buggers cant say on every fish product whether its farmed or wild caught. People arent stupid, they know fish are often wild caught and it doesnt seem to bother them.
So why now do i find it so bloody hard to make an informed decision on a product. If we're entitled to know that a pack of peanuts may contain nuts, im sure they can tell us whether or not they grew said animal in a nice netted enclosure just off the coast... or they just chucked out a giant net sock and powered on full speed for a day or so.

Anyone else?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: Farmed Fish Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
blah blah blah fish blah blah blah


Seriously dude.

I don't care if it tastes good.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

has a really really hot girl agreed to get in the sack with you , but has demanded some changes?.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol really hot girls that demand changes would want me to stop eating the fluffy animals with the cute babies (lambs, piglets, chicks... awwww). Not slimy fish... eurgh

The day a bit of shit cunt gets me to change myself for sex is the day i jam forks in my eyes.

So no, its not that.

You can have a problem with leaded petrol regardless of whether it does infact stop engine knocking.

I dont even have a problem was eating fish, hence farmed fish. Or if there was less bycatch and more specific catching methods. But there arent. And in the rare occasions they are they seriously exploit them.

All these people who dont eat meat because of cruel farming practice are retarded, they should just spend more and go to local farmers with a smaller amount of animals. Simple.
Im using that logic.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a spanner in the works,

Farmed fish are often fed fish meal , which comes from sea caught fish, the crud they can't sell on proper they grind it up dry it into pellets and put them into the farmed fish nets.

I remember it well on TV, when a supermarket spokesman said we only use farmed fish, which is sustainable and environmentally friendly to fish stocks.

The reporter stated the above fact the spokesman was shocked (he hadn't researched his topic properly) and stood for about 2 minutes unable to think of a response, he then put his hand over the camera and said this interview is over.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Farmed fish are often fed fish meal , which comes from sea caught fish, the crud they can't sell on proper they grind it up dry it into pellets and put them into the farmed fish nets.



You goit!

But to be fair, it wouldnt suprise me if they start feeding them terrestrial invertebrates ground up. They're easy to keep, breed and feed. Just chuck in some stalk off cuts etc.
But either way its a step in the right direction, you mentioned it was just the crap scrapings, which means its not being wasted.

I cant really complain about that too much.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no ,you have to feed them certain things.

EG

Fish contain omega 3 because they eat something else that has omega 3 in it,

Same with sea salmon and the salmon you stick with a knife as it jumps up a weir , its pink cus it eats things that are pink like krill and mini shrimp.

Pretty much like liposoluible toxins it gets into us cus we eat DDT sprayed stuff, a good reason to stay fat ....
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
You can have a problem with leaded petrol regardless of whether it does infact stop engine knocking.



Here's another spanner.

Proper 4 Star leaded petrol doesnt have Benzene in it. Unleaded petrol does. And it's a fact that benzene causes cancer. Not a maybe it does.

And as far as the fish goes. Sod the fish give me some dead moo.
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of ways around these things. But you are right salmon get their colour from krill, and DDT lurks in lipids and accumulates as you go up the trophic level (hence only the higher predators die).

As a point, do you think the pink colour salmon gain from krill would also affect taste that much?? Id wager you could feed them anything you like and they'd still be tasty. They'd taste different id grant you, but i doubt they'd lose the taste.

And whilst you're right that they will need essential vitamins they cant make themselves, what makes you think we cant make them ourselves chemically? Theres no difference between natural vitamin C and man-made vitamin C. Its an identical molecule used in exactly the same metabolic pathways. No odds.

Point being its a step in the right direction. Alot of people have very little idea of the scale of wild stock being taken. You consider how many prawns for instance.
Every supermarket has fuckloads
Every restuarant has fuckloads
And this is for a country that must import them...

The scale of prawns being tea-leafed is pretty impressive, but then consider a) how they catch them (trawling) and b) how many other things eat them.

Im really not an eco warrior to any extent, but these kind of things have big arse knockon effects. I dont want all the White sharks to have died before i have a chance to twat one Laughing

As for leaded/unleaded petty, its not the benzene you need to worry about. Its the atmospheric lead levels. Do a search on tetraethyl lead.
Yes it got banned in petrol a while back, but the yanks were still using it to solder food cans together until about ten years ago.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are what you eat and as farmed fish eat shite, I'll stick to the wild stuff, especially the stuff no one else likes and can't be farmed: Pilchards, Sardines, Mackerel etc...
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GodzGift
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I farm fish all the time, especially deviate fish just south of the XRs its a quality fish which i tend to farm about a 3 stacks (60) at every session. I tend to cook them up as well which sells for loads at the action house as well and leaves a tidy profit.

I really need to stop playing WOW Brick Wall
____________________
Bike Level: Amateur | CBT Passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point - the volume of trawled fish is ridiculous, and its not a great method of 'hunting'.

I do feel that we have done a crazy amount of damage to fish stocks - and as you correctly point out its the only major source of food that we don't farm most of our consumption.

I don't each much fish anyway - too expensive mostly. When I do its normally salmon, which is inevitably farmed at the price I pay!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 10 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:


I don't each much fish anyway - too expensive mostly. When I do its normally salmon, which is inevitably farmed at the price I pay!


True, but id like some assurance.

Obviously i am but one man, but i want to line the pockets of those not 'fishing' by being one step away from dynamiting.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest you buy your fish from Marks and Spencer.

They will tell you where it was caught, how it was caught and by whom.

You can buy hand-line caught fish which has virtually zero "Bye catch", is tastier, environmentally sustainable and supports small businesses.

You can buy Icelandic cod. The UK entered the European common market, which was in my eyes nothing other than a trick so the Mediterranean countries could get their hands on our fisheries (see if you can find a graph showing what happened to UK cod stocks from 1976 onwards, I can't be bothered looking). At the same time Iceland has something called the "Cod Wars".

Basically Iceland depolyed their coastguard and warned everyone that if they were caught fishing in Icelandic territorial waters (which they extended to 200 miles) the would be warned first, then have their nets cut, then be fired upon. It all got a bit nasty for a while, the British Navy deployed firgates to protect trawlers, boats were rammed, shots were fired etc.

Iceland has a sustainable cod fishery.

In my oppinion though. If you want a welfare friendly, sustainable and tasty fish, buy line caught fish. Fish farms are far from environmentally sound.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:25 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

In my oppinion though. If you want a welfare friendly, sustainable and tasty fish, buy line caught fish. Fish farms are far from environmentally sound.


With hand line definitely.

Good in tenerife though, you see the fish farms and theres always a few dolphins kicking about waiting for scraps.

I didnt know about the whole icelandic thing though, but fair play. As you say, they still have a fishery.

It just seems a very peculiar stumbling block that everyone loves free range crap and its a massive selling point, so why dont sellers emblazen their packets if they are caught in an ecologically sound way... ?

Oh and one thing that may be of interest to you, despite dogfish having a massive gestation and wait until maturity (Squalus acanthus is 22-24 month gestation i think Neutral), apparently stocks are safe enough to allow 'some' fishing again. Lets see how long stocks last there eh.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

Oh and one thing that may be of interest to you, despite dogfish having a massive gestation and wait until maturity (Squalus acanthus is 22-24 month gestation i think Neutral), apparently stocks are safe enough to allow 'some' fishing again. Lets see how long stocks last there eh.


More to the point, why would anyone want to eat them in the first place? You have to peel them with a pair of pliers and they taste rank.

If I catch them I throw the fuckers back, along with lesser spotteds and spurdogs.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:


More to the point, why would anyone want to eat them in the first place? You have to peel them with a pair of pliers and they taste rank.

If I catch them I throw the fuckers back, along with lesser spotteds and spurdogs.


Fuck knows mate, although it seems they catch a pretty high price or else people wouldnt hoover the sea for them so ruthlessly. I think they are absolutely gorgeous animals though, although theres a fair few sexier sharks kicking about in uk waters. Porbeagle and i think even the thresher and mako are found in uk waters. Mako of Deep Blue Sea fame for the uninitiated Laughing

We still need to figure out a way to stop shark finning, they cant claim that craps actually 'research' like all the whales (was it minke or sei they've been culling under the guise of research recently?)
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it comes with chips I'll eat it.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of reading on the Newfoundland Cod stock collapse
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Farmed fish are often fed fish meal , which comes from sea caught fish, the crud they can't sell on proper they grind it up dry it into pellets and put them into the farmed fish nets.



You goit!

But to be fair, it wouldnt suprise me if they start feeding them terrestrial invertebrates ground up. They're easy to keep, breed and feed. Just chuck in some stalk off cuts etc.
But either way its a step in the right direction, you mentioned it was just the crap scrapings, which means its not being wasted.

I cant really complain about that too much.


Couldn't they just feed the fish the scrappings from the famred fish?
Self economy and there's still no waste.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:


Couldn't they just feed the fish the scrappings from the famred fish?
Self economy and there's still no waste.


Yes... but it would defy the laws of thermodynamics.

You need to farm loads of fish to feed a few fish by that method.

You lose energy at each trophic level. Infact if memory serves only 10% of the energy contained within food A will be passed on to Animal C when it eats animal B. This is because lots is used all kinds of metabolic functions and such.

Think about it, out of the food you eat and have ever eaten, how much food would you actually contain.

Admittedly they slaughter animals when they hit maximum growth, but still... not viable.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I missed that completely Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.78 Kb