Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


dangers of twin headlight bikes?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

lukey
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: dangers of twin headlight bikes?! Reply with quote

Just been reading this terrible story this morning about the death of a rider not far from me. The driver thought the bike was a car in the distance as it had twin headlights.

Made me realise how vulnerable you can be on a twin head light bike!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/display.var.1895032.0.inquest_hears_of_bid_to_save_motorcyclist.php
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that but twin headlights are usually weaker than their single lamp versions...

I have a horrible twin setup on my hornet, I will be changing mine asap....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a non-issue and its used as an excuse for accidents. I've never had a problem.

From that distance it would look like a single light anyway.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it isn't that then it's someone thinking that a single light is a car with a light out or is part fo the car behind you etc etc.

Unless they decide to give bikes a seperate colour of light then this kind of thing will always keep happening, probably even then.

It is something to keep in mind when riding at night though, for the first couple of years I didn't think how I appeared at night to other road users.

Now I tend to assume that even with the headlights on and working other roadusers cannot see me.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

On post 2002 (or so) bikes were required to only have one 'side' of their lights on at a time, both lamps coming on when on high beam. I've never had an issue either (most of my bikes post Bandit 4 came with dual lights).

Even with one side illuminated (main), my R6 far exceeds the pitiful cigarette-lighter-blowing-through-a-letterbox comedy light fitted as standard to my Hornet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotch Bonnet
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'required' is it - Would it fail an MOT if you overrode it?
____________________
Hmmmm..... is it supposed to do that?
2001 CB500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 H7's on when on dipped and 4 H7's in use when on full and I've still had SMIDSY so how can you ever win Rolling Eyes
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced this first hand and it is surprisingly easy to do. My mate had a slightly dodgy CBR400 and he was following me down the M3 at night. I looked in my mirrors at one point and saw nothing but cars, a long way behind me. My first thought was that his bike had broken down (again) and he had pulled over but I thne checked again and realised that one of the 'cars' was my mate about 100 yards behind me.

If I had been looking directly at him and the traffic then I would have spotted him as a bike but, in my mirrors, his twin round headlights looked like a car, a long way away.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacked lights perhaps? ,

but I think it is a case if didn't look and used this as an excuse to absolve oneself of responsibility , considering the triumph pilot isn't exactly there to defend himself or offer his point of view you can say anything you want.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I think its a non-issue and its used as an excuse for accidents. I've never had a problem.

From that distance it would look like a single light anyway.


AS above, it's just another excuse a semi-blind driver has thought up for their piss poor observation skills. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard that excuse for mis-judging speed and distance before.

Knowing the road I would bet the bike was doing 100 or so in the fast lane - at legal speed (70) he should really have had time to react to the car not quite getting into the central reserve.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have 2 H7's on when on dipped and 4 H7's in use when on full and I've still had SMIDSY so how can you ever win Rolling Eyes

Have a single H7 it seems Razz.

Or, of course, expect people to not see you Smile.

A luminous vest seems to make a surprising difference too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: dangers of twin headlight bikes?! Reply with quote

lukey wrote:
Just been reading this terrible story this morning about the death of a rider not far from me. The driver thought the bike was a car in the distance as it had twin headlights.

Made me realise how vulnerable you can be on a twin head light bike!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/display.var.1895032.0.inquest_hears_of_bid_to_save_motorcyclist.php


The driver is taking the piss....

Certainly need to have yesite tested if thats the best excuse he could come up with.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: dangers of twin headlight bikes?! Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
lukey wrote:
Just been reading this terrible story this morning about the death of a rider not far from me. The driver thought the bike was a car in the distance as it had twin headlights.

Made me realise how vulnerable you can be on a twin head light bike!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/display.var.1895032.0.inquest_hears_of_bid_to_save_motorcyclist.php


The driver is taking the piss....

Certainly need to have yesite tested if thats the best excuse he could come up with.


If he was looking directly down the road and couldn't tell it was a bike then I would agree, it's a crap excuse. However, if he was driving up an oblique slip road and using his mirrors, it's surprisingly easy to mistake twin round headlights for a car a long way away. I've done it.

Now where did I leave my glasses Mr. Green

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GazzaThePiagg...
Traffic Copper



Joined: 25 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose he does have a good point to some extent though, glad I am getting a normal Bandit headlight for the NSR now instead of a pair of Dominators.
____________________
Stupid Young Tw@ts Clan 2007 - Sponsored By Powerthirst
Honda NSR 125F (Under Restoration), Honda CR 125, Piaggio Zip (For Sale).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:


Have a single H7 it seems Razz.

Or, of course, expect people to not see you Smile.

A luminous vest seems to make a surprising difference too.


I have a bright yellow Goldwing. Do you really think a yellow vest is going to help that much Laughing
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

Looking straight at a bike with duels is easy to spot and judge distance IMHO.
Looking into your mirrors however its a different story as people have said above.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's an example, it's late at night and you're looking in your mirrors, are the third lights in these two pictures a car a long way away (forgive the crap art, I'm at work and don't have time):

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/paul3011/carlightsSFX.jpg

Or a 92 Fireblade filtering between the two cars:

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/paul3011/bikelightsSFX.jpg

And remember that the lights will be moving. I'm not condoning the driver's actions and some poor bugger is dead but things aren't always black and white and, even though it sounds like an excuse, it's not impossible.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotch Bonnet wrote:
How 'required' is it - Would it fail an MOT if you overrode it?

Nah.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a crossing of a D/C, so it will have been a good clear view out of his side window.
Could be he just rolled up and saw the lights and went on 1st impression, rather than waiting and seeing how they change over a few secs. That would have been the giveaway.

Its really time that these crossing on D/C were closed off, like they have done on the A1 and other major roads.

What i do feel sorry for is that the guy realised what he had done and tryed to get others to avoid the fallen rider, without success.

the grim reaper, got to be a car, distance between them is to great. I can see what you are saying.b
But you have got to say if not sure don't go.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
It was a crossing of a D/C, so it will have been a good clear view out of his side window.
Could be he just rolled up and saw the lights and went on 1st impression, rather than waiting and seeing how they change over a few secs. That would have been the giveaway.

Its really time that these crossing on D/C were closed off, like they have done on the A1 and other major roads.

What i do feel sorry for is that the guy realised what he had done and tryed to get others to avoid the fallen rider, without success.

the grim reaper, got to be a car, distance between them is to great. I can see what you are saying.b
But you have got to say if not sure don't go.


Oh hell yes, if there is any doubt then you have to stay and, to be honest, if I was looking at those lights straight on, instead of out of my mirrors then I would pick them for a car immediately. I was just amazed at how a mate on a CBR400 managed to blend in to car lights that were a long way behind me on the motorway at night. Only by concentrating did I pick out which set were his.

Bottom line is that we are bikers who are used to looking out for other bikers, unfortunately, car drivers are often more worried about the CD/Mobile/Whatever than whether that car half a mile away is actually a bike 200 yards away.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why bikes can't have a different colour light to distinguish them from cars at night.

For example a bright set of red LEDs (or any colour thats not used).
Just something to remove that element of doubt.
It would also stand out when some driver just glances in their mirrors and knows that its a bike that might be filtering etc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC wrote:
I've never understood why bikes can't have a different colour light to distinguish them from cars at night.

For example a bright set of red LEDs (or any colour thats not used).
Just something to remove that element of doubt.


Might get away with a big green B on your fairing behind the screen...

Now you have sown the seeds of possibly the next bike safety product Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Shay HTFC wrote:
I've never understood why bikes can't have a different colour light to distinguish them from cars at night.

For example a bright set of red LEDs (or any colour thats not used).
Just something to remove that element of doubt.


Might get away with a big green B on your fairing behind the screen...

Now you have sown the seeds of possibly the next bike safety product Thumbs Up


Maybe they will bring back the bloke with the red flag to walk in front like in victorian times!
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.21 Kb