Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Damn cold weather (again)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Damn cold weather (again) Reply with quote

So. I've had ANOTHER lowside. This time I think was a combination of a semi-new tyre and ice. Wasnt even cornering at the time, just braking to slow down, and the front stopped being upright.

Only problem is the bike went sliding down the road, it ripped the gear shifter and peg off. So I couldn't ride it home, its now chained up at work... I'm thinking to get it home, shouldn't be too hard to just manually shift it to second by playing with the cable, then cable tieing it to the frame so it isn't dragging. Then I'll get some pics up. I'm hoping its just the bolts that hold the rearset to the bike that snapped, Buying the whole lot seems very expensive.

I'm considering stopping riding 'til spring. Second lowside due to shitty conditions in 2 weeks, and its getting worse. I'm just not experienced enough to ride in this shit.

Pyro Sad
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:33 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dont grap the front break, ride slow and leave a fooking big gap so you've got plenty of time to stop. take up some tuition if your that concerned. Book up lessons they will help.
____________________
follow my racing season
Race bike - R6
Road bike - sv650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

306_abb
Nova Slayer



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:12 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said above dont just slam on the ancors your asking for it, you need to be smooth and progressive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the rear a lot more. Make the engine work to slow you down as well.
Rear end is a lot easier to control when it slides.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont give up til spring mate. if you can get through this winter, learning progressively how to be more in control, and smoother with your bike, come next summer you'll be a demon on the roads!


In my experience,

Arrow in winter, smoothness = not falling Thumbs Up

Arrow in summer, smoothness = fast Smile


so keep it going, and just think of it as a challenge each day, cos thats what it is.


Where do you think you get the experience to ride in this shit man?

By riding in the shit Thumbs Up
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:31 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont give up Thumbs Up I almost had an off few weeks back. Left Portslade around midnight, was a bit icy - I was coming up to some lights with traffic cams, car in front a while away. Lights turned, he had enough time to go but slammed his brakes on. I slowed, but that split second I thought he was going I hit the back brake, screech from the tires from sliding on ice. Bike wobbled but kept it up.
I wouldnt give up just take it easy. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot how cold it was last night, i went out to see a mate around 10ish... It must have been minus temp by this time, so a combo of cold tyres and cold roads saw me accelerating down my road for the back to step out in a big style... It was over before i realised, i had gently rolled off and controled it... but shocking none the less... And it looks damn cold outside today...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember even if its dry and warm if the gritters have been out it will be slippery. They use an additive to stop the grit clumping together and once that gets on the road it takes ages to wash away.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thanks for the reasoning people. I got the bike home today, took about half an hour to start then I had to rev the tits off it to get it going, I think the only thing I really need is a left rearset, (And some engine bars Embarassed ) And when I've got some more spare cash I'll get a new clutch cover as its horribly scratched now Neutral

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panpan
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Dont give up Thumbs Up I almost had an off few weeks back. Left Portslade around midnight, was a bit icy - I was coming up to some lights with traffic cams, car in front a while away. Lights turned, he had enough time to go but slammed his brakes on. I slowed, but that split second I thought he was going I hit the back brake, screech from the tires from sliding on ice. Bike wobbled but kept it up.
I wouldnt give up just take it easy. Thumbs Up


Portslade in Brighton? - sorry it's off topic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still wearing summer gloves, It aint gone much below -6 yet.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

1930 Ariel wrote:
Still wearing summer gloves, It aint gone much below -6 yet.


Yeah but it doesn't count if your in a car. Smile
____________________
Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars are for hairdressers and other gimps,
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Portslade in Brighton? - sorry it's off topic



Thats the one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in winter gloves, but my commute is only a 10 min journey so its ok. Although the other day I really felt the chill on my fingertips when I got to work. 1hr commute would have been a real bugger!

Also was wondering why my bike was running so shite, before I realised I'd left it on half choke Brick Wall Felt like such an eejit having this totally misfiring bike that already sounds bad and then having to pull over Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 17 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: Damn cold weather (again) Reply with quote

pyroforlife wrote:
So. I've had ANOTHER lowside. This time I think was a combination of a semi-new tyre and ice


Doh! And to think I cleaned that bike before you bought it..

Wink

New tyre, ice and hard braking never a great combo. Hope you get sorted soon.
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.92 Kb