Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What to do with my bike? [CAT C write off]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: What to do with my bike? [CAT C write off] Reply with quote

Following on from THIS thread I have been informed that my Gixxer is now a Cat C write off.

I am expecting a call tomorrow from the engineer to negotiate a price for my bike. As I paid £4500 about 4 months ago what can I reasonably expect their offer to be?

Also I am keen to buy it back and then sell it to a breakers yard or e-bay it, so how much can I expect for a Cat C K4 GSX-R 600? I've e-mailed a few breakers today but no-one has got back to me yet and I suspect they will try to rip me off on the price.
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7R was a Cat C many a moon and several people back.

To be sold as a proper bike on the road again it will need to be tested again and obviously all the wrong things put right again beforehand.
If you don't spend any money on it then its going to be sold as SORN / non runner / etc and this will be reflected in the low price.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally I would say make sure you get it back and then sell it on. Possibly do the work yourself to turn it into a track bike.

Tiny amount of damage to write a bike off.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get offered book price, probably the lowest value, then you can either accept the amount, or tell them to stop taking the p**s and they will either offer more, or say that is the best they can do..

You can find book price from Parkers Price Guide just click on the motorbikes link, obviously and search for your bike.


To buy it back they will offer less, but you will of course get the bike back
some insurers dont let you do this, you will have to see.
Not sure on the ins and outs of it as i have never done it, but good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance categories are ridiculous , I saw a nearly mint GSXR1000 , which had a piece of fairing the size of a playing card , was written to Cat D, I'm thinking WTF? ,
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my mini was written off I was offered the figure that was on the insurance policy (about £300 more than it was worth at the time sol nice result Dance!) in a nice fat cheque and I sold the car in the end for...






...£10.

In all maybe it took 2 weeks tops from start to finish.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Insurance categories are ridiculous , I saw a nearly mint GSXR1000 , which had a piece of fairing the size of a playing card , was written to Cat D, I'm thinking WTF? ,


Looking back I should have written the FZR off and started fresh instead of piling money into it.

It does seem stupid to the amount of damage that constitutes a Cat C / D sometimes.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it back, repair it, MOT it and sell it on.
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UrbanRacer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how much they offer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

in another thread, someone was offered book price for their vfr750 (slightly more than htey had paid) and told they could buy it back for 10% of that

a good deal really, when its worth more than that to someone
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:02 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo buy it back mate, at the very worst you can strip it for parts and get more than your money back.
However I'd probably repair it and get it out on a track.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
Let me know how much they offer


Just received the call from the insurance. They offered me £3800 based on values for 2004/2005 bikes which they got from BikeTrader and book price. I have argued that valuation with them and sent off a list of bikes with higher values and a cover letter. Hopefully their response will be higher... Confused

I asked about buying the bike back but I was told a salvage company would collect the bike and I would have to buy it back from them, surely this isn't correct, why collect the bike only to deliver it to the same address?
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UrbanRacer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

3800 is a good price for a 2004 GSXR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its not that bad actually. However, no harm done in trying to get a bit more...
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodger wrote:


I asked about buying the bike back but I was told a salvage company would collect the bike and I would have to buy it back from them, surely this isn't correct, why collect the bike only to deliver it to the same address?


Might be wrong (usually am) but I thought it was still your property until the insurance pay you a settlement?!
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
Might be wrong (usually am) but I thought it was still your property until the insurance pay you a settlement?!


That is my understanding as well.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:


Might be wrong (usually am) but I thought it was still your property until the insurance pay you a settlement?!


Yeah sorry it's probably the way I expressed it,

I do still own the bike as no payment has been agreed, I just inquired over the phone what the process was once I had been paid, if I wanted to re-buy the bike... Very Happy
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodger wrote:
I do still own the bike as no payment has been agreed, I just inquired over the phone what the process was once I had been paid, if I wanted to re-buy the bike... Very Happy


You don't want to buy it back. You want to keep it as part of the settlement.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 07 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think technically once a vehicle is written off, regardless of a price being agreed, it becomes the property of the insurance company who then offload it to contracted salvage companies.

Although i'm not sure at what point exactly in the proceedings that the vehicle ownership is transferred. May ask some claims people at work tomorrow Laughing
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 07 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevoriv wrote:
I think technically once a vehicle is written off, regardless of a price being agreed, it becomes the property of the insurance company who then offload it to contracted salvage companies.

Although i'm not sure at what point exactly in the proceedings that the vehicle ownership is transferred. May ask some claims people at work tomorrow Laughing


It remains the property of the owner until payment is received.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 07 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodger wrote:


I do still own the bike as no payment has been agreed, I just inquired over the phone what the process was once I had been paid, if I wanted to re-buy the bike... Very Happy


So....they gave you an offer of £3800, for YOU to buy the bike back?

Im confused pal - Im pretty simple, and most ive done with insurance is claim on a theft Sad
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 07 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they have offered me £3800 as a total loss payment.

However, I have argued that this is below market value of the bike and posted a few adverts from Biketrader etc showing similar bikes with a higher value than £3800.

I stated on the phone that I wished to buy the bike back and was told that I had to sort it out with the salvage company. However, in the letter I wrote, I stated that I wished to retain possession of the bike as part of the settlement [thanks to Kickstart Thumbs Up ].

So hopefully the next stage will be a new total loss payment figure with me keeping ownership of the Gixxer.

Hope that makes sense... Confused
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 08 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:


It remains the property of the owner until payment is received.


There is apparently a grey area in this, as you no longer have insurable interest in the vehicle, ie its no longer your responsibility to make sure the vehicle is stored securely etc.
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much hassle, AXA have finally come back with a new offer...£4000.

However, they are refusing to let me keep the bike as part of the settlement insisting that I must purchase it off the salvage company should I wish to [and I guess they will want substantially more than what they give AXA for it]

I'm going to give it one more try tomorrow to get the bike as part of the settlement but otherwise it looks as though thats the final offer.

Word of warning, AXA are shit at sorting claims out! I've had promises to return calls, letters going 'missing', direct phone lines ringing out and some of my details being 'lost'. A farce of a company!
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My guess is that the insurance company would normally sell it for about £200~£400 based on what others have paid, while the salvage company will want ~£2000.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.39 Kb