Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone else had a first day in the car today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Anyone else had a first day in the car today? Reply with quote

Yup today was mine.

I woke up to my wife saying you'll be in the car today.

Now she often says, that ie rain, fog etc.

But today she was right.

I looked out for about 10 mins thinking should I risk it, thinking as soon as I get to the main roads it'll be fine. But the 1/4 mile on ice put me off. That and cars skidding down my street.

Ohh my colleagues laughed at me today, where's the bike. (Even the other bloke at work who rides his bike from May - September).
But my work is on low ground and I am a thousand feet higher, so the ground freezes easier.



To be honest I'd have been fine once I'd got to the gritted roads,
but not living on a council estate nor an area with lots of immigrants, my council doesn't bother to grit our street.

Think I managed only 3 days last year in the car. Hope to do something similar this year.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:13 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode yesterday as I wanted to test my kit more fully, you know see if I needed more layers. Anyway I took it easy, very easy, I saw 4 accidents one of which was a 4 car shunt, several ambulances, and plenty of rozzers. At one island I went to put my foot down and discovered it was black ice, nice... Today in spite of it being "warmer" I'm going by car as I have a consultant appointment at the hospital. He hasn't said I can ride yet, so turning up in the gear might be a give away. Thinking
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose living in Southampton does have one benefit - never really gets icy down here - but the road is covered in a greasy film of condensation and grime from around now till the end of Feb.

Bike all the way.


Pushbike at the moment though - since the proper bike is OOA
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

17-in-87
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would be fine yesterday - got caught out by ice and lost the front at a huge speed of 5mph, and dropped the bike. Embarassed

Bugger.
____________________
K1 GSX-R 600 - blue n white of course....

Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fastgut
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
I suppose living in Southampton does have one benefit - never really gets icy down here - but the road is covered in a greasy film of condensation and grime from around now till the end of Feb.

Bike all the way.


Pushbike at the moment though - since the proper bike is OOA


Tell me about it. What is it with roads here? Evil or Very Mad
____________________
Was a driving instructor now working in Insurance
Bikes:2005 Speed Triple and 2004 FZ6 Fazer (now the other half's)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stan hyd
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
I suppose living in Southampton does have one benefit - never really gets icy down here - but the road is covered in a greasy film of condensation and grime from around now till the end of Feb.

Bike all the way.


Pushbike at the moment though - since the proper bike is OOA


cheat ^
____________________
DAS Passed 12/12/07 2 minors!
Looking for a hornet - ?1900 mark
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing just fell off 30 mins ago, was practicing u turns for my test when i got a bit close to the gutter and slipped on leaves, i bet i looked like a right pillock trying to get the bike upright but with the bike creeping fowards fowards, managed to stop but droped the bike on its side. my neighbour laughed at me as he was walking down the road, shakeing his head. Embarassed
____________________
follow my racing season
Race bike - R6
Road bike - sv650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan hyd wrote:
Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
I suppose living in Southampton does have one benefit - never really gets icy down here - but the road is covered in a greasy film of condensation and grime from around now till the end of Feb.

Bike all the way.


Pushbike at the moment though - since the proper bike is OOA


cheat ^


Cheat am I? Well YOU try getting up, going outside when it is near or sub zero, wearing only lycra, then cycling 8 hilly miles to work in 25min. Then, and only then, can you call me a cheat.

Plus I got fucking puncture this morning.

O how I want the bike back. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stan hyd
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do it - with the scars to prove it.

Last January i bought a pushbike to get fit - between jan and september i cycled from Balham to epsom every day - even had a gym membership just to use the shower in epsom.

I feel your pain.

I was refering to making the text so small i had to to copy to word to see it Razz

Im the cheat - since september ive been taking the train. funnily enough if you do post code to postcode mine is 8 miles as well with a fair few hills in and london buses.

I just need to buy a motorbike
____________________
DAS Passed 12/12/07 2 minors!
Looking for a hornet - ?1900 mark
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan hyd wrote:
I just need to buy a motorbike


Get a hack, I wish I had. Sportsbikes and highstrung 125s are not the way of the commute!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a car.

I'm too cheap to buy one Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stan hyd
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
stan hyd wrote:
I just need to buy a motorbike


Get a hack, I wish I had. Sportsbikes and highstrung 125s are not the way of the commute!


thinking about either a hornet or bandit
____________________
DAS Passed 12/12/07 2 minors!
Looking for a hornet - ?1900 mark
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
I suppose living in Southampton does have one benefit - never really gets icy down here - but the road is covered in a greasy film of condensation and grime from around now till the end of Feb.

Bike all the way.


Pushbike at the moment though - since the proper bike is OOA


Come from oop north to Winchester and theres no ice.
When I went to school a few years back there was a steep hill (Bell Hall if anyone knows) that had no grit or anything applied, but was a quick shortcut, so a few people took it.
The amount of cars that just skidded down the road and hit the house at the bottom was unreal.

P.S. Damofo DOG - Where do you work that's 8 miles away from Southampton? I work about 8 miles away too Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I live 8 miles from Southampton - work in Ocean village. Do you work in Segensworth? That's pretty much where I live (Locks Heath)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, work in Hursley on the far side of Eastleigh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stan hyd
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnily enough im from stubbington originally which is about 4 miles from fareham. Oceans village is nice.
____________________
DAS Passed 12/12/07 2 minors!
Looking for a hornet - ?1900 mark
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tucked the bike away for the winter (For the first time ever) this year, about 5 weeks ago Laughing

Partook in the Purchase of a van and have only ridden once since Embarassed

However, when the snow / proper ice sets in i shall wimp out of that aswell and drag the pushbike out Very Happy
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fastgut
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
Nah, I live 8 miles from Southampton - work in Ocean village. Do you work in Segensworth? That's pretty much where I live (Locks Heath)


I'm at Hedge End myself.....regularly at Locks Heath for my lessons. Whereabouts in Ocean Village are you working then? Cool
____________________
Was a driving instructor now working in Insurance
Bikes:2005 Speed Triple and 2004 FZ6 Fazer (now the other half's)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

306_abb
Nova Slayer



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had to put the bike away till january as i picked up a puncher last night. and at the moment I cant afford a new tyre Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:48 - 17 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blooming heck how cold has it got.

Was in Halifax today , it was below zero during the day and there were loads of ice sculptures across the town.

Ohh and an ice ring.

Not been on the bike since Wednesday, its really dangerously cold out there.

A few years back, someone was p***d up after a night out and fell as sleep in a ditch and died. Its colder than that today.

Saying that I love walking the dog through the woods in this weather, it soo crisp, the air is nice. So no i'm not missing the bike.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 17 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked out the BBC weather site.

Its going to be bitterly cold all week up here. On Friday the maximum temparateure is -2C thats during the day.

Its actually colder than Helsinki (Finland) where I was this time last year.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt06
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:12 - 17 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats a 'car'? Laughing

Only have meh bike so winter riding it is!
____________________
Current: MT-10, Bandit, Grom, GPZ500
Previous: YBR125, GSXR400, ZXR400, MT-03, NTV650, R6, z750, ZX6R, MT-09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

firefox
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 18 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - for me yay bike stays out still

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/tynemouth_forecast_weather.html
____________________
bye bye gti <^>( ' . ' )<^>
*officer* what caused the crash ? *firefox* you see that wall up there sir ?
*officer* yes what about it *firefox* i tooted my horn but it refused to move i had to teach it a lesson.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:33 - 18 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what the obsession with staying on the bike all year is? I've done it before and it was sh*t. You get wet, cold and the bike gets covered in filth. You can't go very fast anyway, you can't lean into corners properly, there's diesel all over the roads and car drivers seem to be even more intent on killing you since the visibility is lower.

I could use my bike to get to work a lot of days at the moment (sometimes wouldn't have a choice as I have loads to transport) but my van is just easier and more comfortable when it's bad. Once it gets round to summer I will probably go on the bike a few days every now and then, but otherwise I may as well have the comfortable, warm, dry and free use of my van Smile .

That leaves my bike as actually being fun when I ride it.
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::


Last edited by St0rmer66 on 01:42 - 18 Dec 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:39 - 18 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh i'd only use a car to transport tools or heavy stuff, i love riding too much reguardless of weather. The thrill of a bike just keeps me captivated. I hate being in cars, and i have driven some. Wouldnt say no to a MR2 (widow maker). Thumbs Up Very Happy
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.48 Kb