Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hi vis jackets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

High vis vests
Yes
34%
 34%  [ 39 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 21 ]
Would not be seen dead in one, plonkers only
14%
 14%  [ 17 ]
Sometimes
32%
 32%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 114

Author Message

Stalk
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Hi vis jackets Reply with quote

Talking with mini stalk this morning I mentioned that it might be a good idea to wear a hi vis vest on his ped as it is dark and damp. This was met with "I ain't wearing one of them'

So, what do you all think?

Cheers
Stalk.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

in low light, the fluorescent bit glows as it turns uv to visible light, and in the dark, the reflective strips are really bright under headlights

so they are very effective

car drivers dont notice me at the best of times
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nynfortoo
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear one. I don't give a fuck what I look like if I'm more visible.

I'd rather stand out and look like a twat than not stand out and get a face full of car.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nynfortoo wrote:
I wear one. I don't give a fuck what I look like if I'm more visible.

I'd rather stand out and look like a twat than not stand out and get a face full of car.


Yeah, because no-one wearing a hi-viz has ever been hit by a car.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own one but that doesn't mean i wont wear one. Better to be safe and seen afterall, especially during the long, dark winter nights. Doesn't matter if you look daft.
____________________
"One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world." Siddhartha Gautama
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly ever get on my bikes without mine. Embarassed
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:


Yeah, because no-one wearing a hi-viz has ever been hit by a car.


doesnt elimnate the chances of being hit, but certainly makes you more noticeable, which reduces the chances of being hit
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

false sense of security as said it still relies heavily on them seeing you , better to buffer brakes ride in lower than normal gear and keep eyes sharp.

Cold & dark can be very useful you can spot extra zorst smoke and thus somebody prepping to do something like a U turn maybe.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never worn one, all my gear is black except the white Arai sticker on the helmet. Defensive riding keeps you alive most the time. Wink
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

acwman
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my gear is black, and I have also had several black bikes.. I was surprised on how many cars either almost pulled out on me or did pull out on me with this setup.

I decided to buy one of these hi viz vests, and I found that wearing this..cars did notice me, and I found far fewer cars doing this.. just goes to show that they do work to an extent.

After the black bikes, I changed to a bright yellow one.. and they notice you even more! Thumbs Up

I must admit though, I do not always wear it...Only when it is dark and dreary, and at nights.
____________________
BMW R1200GS & Honda Fireblade 929RR
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rezzin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were his parent id make him wear one. Otherwise his keys get taken off him and he doesnt get to go on his 'ped' at all. Mr. Green Although saying that,i dont wear one myself. BUT my jacket does have some visibility facilities than act like hi vis so im fine. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nynfortoo
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
I wear one. I don't give a fuck what I look like if I'm more visible.

I'd rather stand out and look like a twat than not stand out and get a face full of car.


Yeah, because no-one wearing a hi-viz has ever been hit by a car.



That's a pretty big leap you made there. If you were trying to be facetious, I apologise; but that was a pretty stupid comment, and has no bearing on what I said.

These things are all about minimising risks. If you wanted to completely remove them, you'd be best off staying away from bikes. Nobody is foolish enough to suggest wearing a hi-vis vest completely removes the risk of traffic accidents; merely, it serves the purpose of making you more visible to other road-users.

Being more visible will reduce the chance of being involved in a SMIDSY. I'd say that was worth it, no matter how daft you may look.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: Hi vis jackets Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
Would not be seen dead in one

Very appropriate Smile.

Itchy: Gives a 'false sense of security', like having headlights on and having good brakes Razz.
In my experience it does make a decent difference.

Anytime I'm commuting a decent distance (not the normal 1.4 miles, which is usually done with a push bike on the cycle path anyway at the mo) I try and wear one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nynfortoo wrote:
Being more visible will reduce the chance of being involved in a SMIDSY.


You'd think that, wouldn't you?

Fact is, the driver can be looking right at you and still not actually see you.

Lateral movement will make you more visible than all the hi-viz vests in the world.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:

Lateral movement will make you more visible than all the hi-viz vests in the world.

Having observed other riders on dark bikes on dark nights (from side on, say), I'd suggest the opposite is true.

I was surprised how dark a bike appears when you can't easily see the headlight.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:50 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wearing one increases my chances of staying alive by 0.000001% then I will wear one, All day every day.

Get your thinking caps on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

HID's & loud cans is much better then any high vis!
____________________
GSXR750
(FAR FAR from standard) www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

acwman
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

HID's, loud cans, AND a Hi Viz, make even a better combination. Very Happy
____________________
BMW R1200GS & Honda Fireblade 929RR
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUXY DJ wrote:
HID's & loud cans is much better then any high vis!


Being safe in a high vis vest is just another cop out for the motorist who cant be arsed to take time to look if something is approaching.

HID's maybe but loud cans? No way! I have never heard a bikes exhaust when I am in the car with windows up until it is level with me or gone past me. When the stereo is on then unless the bike is being thrashed I doubt anyone would hear it.

Always confuses me when people say "Loud cans save lives". The only time they make enough noise to make people aware is when the engine is being caned.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lydanial
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont personally wear hi-vis as i am not riding in these nasty conditions but i do have one just in case i would have to go out.

i insist my wife wears bright colours or hi vis, or my kwaka jacket which is bright as she rides all year round.... yeah shes tougher than me!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

acwman
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only time they make enough noise to make people aware is when the engine is being caned.


haha...you should have heard my Buell with the race an on it..you could hear me comin a mile and that wasn't being caned!... filtering was great aswell, as everyone heard me, and pulled aside Thumbs Up

tbh though, it was too loud..and I eventually changed the can...and then the bike Very Happy
____________________
BMW R1200GS & Honda Fireblade 929RR
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:24 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
bazza wrote:

Lateral movement will make you more visible than all the hi-viz vests in the world.

Having observed other riders on dark bikes on dark nights (from side on, say), I'd suggest the opposite is true.


Huh? What's that got to do with lateral movement?
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

acwman wrote:
Quote:
The only time they make enough noise to make people aware is when the engine is being caned.


haha...you should have heard my Buell with the race an on it..you could hear me comin a mile and that wasn't being caned!... filtering was great aswell, as everyone heard me, and pulled aside Thumbs Up

tbh though, it was too loud..and I eventually changed the can...and then the bike Very Happy


OK , with the exception of anything with the engine from a Hog, you don't hear them approaching, you feel them. Shocked
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks, I'm a shallow, image conscious "biker".

I tend to look out for other road users that blantently aren't looking in the first place, then taking decisive action so, hopefully, an accident doesn't occur. But even expect those who are looking directly at you, are, in fact, asleep.

Like Gandalf, in LotR 3, but a bit more brain dead.

And occasionally without a beard.

Everyone's out to kill you.

You can't have my gems.

What's that....?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 15 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put it the wrong way.

If you wear a reflective vest, you become invisible to the police, even if you are riding like a dick.

Sit bolt upright on a bike wearing a yellow vest and go tanking down the motorway at 110mph and noone will bat an eyelid. Do the same hunched behind the fairing in race leathers and wait for the blue light.

I wear one in poor visability conditions and when I want to be able to speed with impugnity.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.84 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 133.27 Kb