Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


A Word Of Warning!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: A Word Of Warning! Reply with quote

I know everyone always says that it'll never happen to them, but it has now happened to a friend of mine. So I thought I'd post this as a reminder to be careful with your personal details.

The story goes like this (no names to protect the innocent).

My friend/colleague came into the office looking rather concerned this afternoon, and asked if he could talk to us for a few mins, only to explain that he had been in court yesterday after being charged by the police for buying kiddie porn with his credit card on the internet at some point between 3 and 4 years ago. This of course he denies (well you would wouldn't you?), and having known him for 4 years I find it totally unbelievable.
However, the story gets worse. Once at the magistrates court yesterday, his solicitor asks him if he has any previous convictions, to which my friend says "I've been done for speeding twice and that's it" - which is again the truth. So his solicitor then asks him to explain the two and a half pages of previous convictions that the police have provided him, all of which are ABH, GBH, Aggravated Assault or Causing An Affray over the last 3 or 4 years!
Now as I said earlier, I find it hard to believe the this guy could even consider buying kiddie porn, but as for having been charged for multiple violent crimes Shocked
So, his solicitor seems certain that somebody has 'cloned' him, and he now has to prove that it was not him but this 'clone'.

So, just a friendly reminder to be very careful with who you give your personal details to - because bad things can happen!
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

xlfive
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: A Word Of Warning! Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad hell fire thats terrible hope it works out for your friend
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Hope he gets it all sorted out.

Surely after offences like those, they'd take DNA/ finger prints? Can't they compare his with those they have on file?

Makes you wonder though Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Surely after offences like those, they'd take DNA/ finger prints? Can't they compare his with those they have on file?

They do indeed take fingerprints, photos and DNA samples when they charge someone, so I guess this is what his solicitor will use Confused
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget (when you have finished with them) to shred / destroy al those utility / credit card, etc bills that hold all the lovely useful information for unscrupulous individuals to use.
____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what happened just this week, everyone thought Huntley was a mild mannered janitor, look what he done Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin



Joined: 01 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:14 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will most probably have been a case of somebody selling fake identities with your friend used as the template, then the buyers getting themselves into trouble and it going on your friend's record. Preventing this is one of the very few good reasons I can think of for have a national biometrics database.

Also if you're worried about your card being used fraudulently I have a tip - renew it every 3 months. Barclays don't charge me for this, they just send me a new card with a different number and once I've used it for the first time the old card becomes invalid - meaning if anybody has the details of the old card on file it's useless to them. Only problem I had doing this is I would keep forgetting to call up BT and change the number they had on file and they would keep cutting off my ADSL without notifying me of the problem Embarassed
____________________
3516 Miles, 11 Countries
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:09 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Everready wrote:
Look what happened just this week, everyone thought Huntley was a mild mannered janitor, look what he done Evil or Very Mad

Er, I don't think anyone ever thought he was a mild mannered janitor Confused
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

except the school that employed him! Is it my imagination or in this rampant political correctness Doc Octopus could get a job as a janitor at a junior school?

PsychoHippy wrote:
Mr.Everready wrote:
Look what happened just this week, everyone thought Huntley was a mild mannered janitor, look what he done Evil or Very Mad

Er, I don't think anyone ever thought he was a mild mannered janitor Confused

____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I was watching a news clip about junkies and how the pick through rubbish to find personal info, they get £10 for name and address and more for bank statements etc....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Susi
Whitton Girl



Joined: 06 Jun 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:40 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, after reading that it makes me wonder what happened to my passport when my bag was stolen right from under my nose at a pub in Victoria. The worst bit of it all is that it was my Spanish passport and unlike British ones they not only come with your nationality and date of birth, but your home address too. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is currently using it as their own, claiming to be me and has cut out the photograph to replace it with their own.
____________________
Sometimes, I like to think I'm 'spe-cial'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susi - If they even try that they'll get picked up by immigration the first time they try to enter any country.

On European passports there are about 5 security features on the photo alone, as soon as you lift the laminate they all get damaged and it looks different under a UV light.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but they don't look at it like that when they just glance at it when you're coming into the country, do they?

Sure, if you were taken in by immigration and checked out there they'd notice straight away, but cleverly replacing the photo would probably suffice for a passing glance?
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susi wrote:
You know, after reading that it makes me wonder what happened to my passport when my bag was stolen right from under my nose at a pub in Victoria. The worst bit of it all is that it was my Spanish passport and unlike British ones they not only come with your nationality and date of birth, but your home address too. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is currently using it as their own, claiming to be me and has cut out the photograph to replace it with their own.


Passports are worth a *lot* of money. People will pay thousands for one. I'm not sure what uses they find for them but it must be something incredibly dodgy. I for one am always paranoid about it when I carry it because they are so valuable.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this thread to my sister and she said she had a credit card stolen a while back. The card ended up at a murder scene. Exclamation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I was 21 my wallet was stolen by kids who used my drivers licence to get into over 21 clubs - I don't suppose they will be using it now - I shouldn't think any15 year old could pull off being 30!!

Susi wrote:
You know, after reading that it makes me wonder what happened to my passport when my bag was stolen right from under my nose at a pub in Victoria. The worst bit of it all is that it was my Spanish passport and unlike British ones they not only come with your nationality and date of birth, but your home address too. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is currently using it as their own, claiming to be me and has cut out the photograph to replace it with their own.

____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.87 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 93.37 Kb